Is RCCL strict about age for "Adventure Ocean"groupings?

belak

We are taking DD who is 2 months away from turning 3 on RCCL's Majesty next week. I've just read that there is no "Adventure Ocean" activity program for under age 3 where I can leave her for a few hours nor is there a nursery on the ship for group sitting, etc. If this weren't a (small) company cruise of my husband's, I would never choose this ship/trip for our young family. But since we are going, I'm wondering if there is "wiggle room" in the age grouping.

DD is potty trained, in a preschool class with 3-4 year olds, and is very social. And I'm heartbroken to think she is a couple months away from being able to take advantage of so many kid activities. Do they actually check everyone's birth date? Are they super strict about age?

Thanks!

I'm really sorry, but it is extremely unlikely any cruise ship would let a child under the minimum age of participation into a drop off program because it would be a liability issue for their insurance. Princess allows children under three to visit the kids club with parental supervision, but they (understandably) needed to require me to take my son with me when I had to go to the bathroom since they would have been liable if anything happened to him during the five minutes I was in the restroom. The cruise lines check the birthdates on the passports, and the kids clubs have lists of the children and their ages.

The ship does appear to have the Royal Babies® and Royal Tots® program, which would offer some kind of parent-child activity. But I understand your frustration, since this is a very big difference from being able to get a break for a few hours. Are there any other families with young children in your husband's office that will be going on this trip? It might be easier to set up some playdates and take turns supervising all of the kids, so you can get a bit of a break. If the kids like each other, they might play together, which would make it easier to watch them. Of course, if they don't get along, it isn't quite as helpful...

Edited by kitkat343

Kitkat is exactly right about them not making exceptions. Even though that ship does not have the nursery, you might want to check about availability of in room babysitting. This is usually only done on a limited basis based on crew member availability. Check with guest services as soon as you board to see if that's an option.

The bright side is that since she's potty trained she can use the pools onboard.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I figured as much, but I was hoping...

There aren't any other small children in our group for me to swap with other accompanying spouses.

The in-room babysitting isn't something I think I'll be comfortable with... A perfect stranger behind closed doors with my child, who isn't even old enough to really tell me everything that has gone on, let along being cooped up in a small room for hours without all the toy delights of home. But maybe others have had a decent experience.

I suppose being a family-friendly cruise is about families with school aged children.

There aren't any other small children in our group for me to swap with other accompanying spouses.

The in-room babysitting isn't something I think I'll be comfortable with... A perfect stranger behind closed doors with my child, who isn't even old enough to really tell me everything that has gone on, let along being cooped up in a small room for hours without all the toy delights of home. But maybe others have had a decent experience.

I suppose being a family-friendly cruise is about families with school aged children.

Two perfect strangers - they send two people for the in-room baby sitting. We used it once on the Grandeur, and it worked out fine. I think the ladies (girls) were from Guest Services. They were very nice, quiet. Our son watched movies the whole time. We just wanted one dinner at Izumi to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, and the kids club was fairly empty as we sailed off season, so our son did not want to go in there by himself.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You aren't really "heartbroken"... honestly!....you can hire a babysitter, if you need some time away from your child. They are very competent and good.

They have rules in place for a reason. They are NOT going to waive them for you...I can guarantee that. If they let your child in, they'd have to let every child in...and that makes for mayhem.

Your child really won't care...it's you that is freaking out.

Edited by cb at sea

I took quite a few cruises before my kids were old enough for the kid programs and they were all extremely family friendly and my girls always- had a great time. And mine wasn't potty trained at the point either, so we didn't even have the pools to fall back on. So if you're concerned about her having fun, she will - she won't even know there is a kids club she's missing out on. If you want some time without her, many, many parents have used the in-cabin sitting service and I don't remember seeing any complaints - except for the limited availabilty.

Best,

Mia

Actually, it IS very family-friendly, just seems like you would like it to be family-friendly without having to actually be with your family. Lots of things to do with a toddler, including daily "mommy and me" type times. There are also bags of toys that can be borrowed. Many of the lounges are empty during the day, so toddlers can run around and have fun in them.

I understand the OP's frustration, as I have cruised with my son at the age of 2, on a line he was not eligible for a drop off kids club program, and it was much harder than the following year when he could be dropped off for a few hours in the morning and evening on sea days.

It is unfortunate that her husband's work chose this ship, since she would have a much easier time on either Disney (nursery), Cunard (drop off at 2), Carnival (drop off at 2) or a Royal Caribbean ship retrofitted with a nursery. Or if she could control the vacation, she would have waited a few months until her child was eligible for the kids club.

In the long term, as I am expecting my second child, I am very happy that Royal Caribbean is retrofitting its fleet with the Royal Tots nursery, and am hopeful I will be able to sail one of those ships when my baby is 1 or two. I might even try Disney, but with only 4 ships they seem to have more limited itineraries, although the new cruises to Norway are an exciting development. But for my second child, I believe I would want to limit my choices in a cruise until he or she is 3 to the few lines that provide drop off care to young toddlers.

Edited by kitkat343

So sorry OP. That sucks.

I guess you can look at it this way...you would have been with kiddo all the time at home too, so at least you are on vacation. :) We chose Carnival specifically because my youngest could get dropped off at 2. Wish you had that chance.