Question about Princess Insurance

atdahop

If you are ill and need to see the Doctor while onboard do you get reimbursed for the costs of the visit?
Since the time we've made Platinum in the Captain's Circle we've had an auto upgrade to the Princess Vacation Protection Platinum insurance, so my answer is per the upgraded version.

We have had several instances where one or both of us have seen the ship's Doctor, and between our regular insurance and the Princess cruise insurance we've been compensated for every penny spent onboard during Doctor visits.

Since retirement, Medicare (administered via supplemental insurance) covers part of the medical bills but none of the pharmaceuticals provided onboard as they are dispensed and consumed while out of the USA. Once we've submitted the claims and gotten the EOB's back, then we submit to Princess Travel Care (see procedure in the booklet), and all the balance has been paid.

The extra insurance is well worth it, in our opinion.

Edited by Times Prince

If you are ill and need to see the Doctor while onboard do you get reimbursed for the costs of the visit?

We have used it (the Princess insurance) in the past. It paid what the charge was. However, that was 12 years ago. My understanding is now your primary insurance needs to be claimed first and then whatever they don't pay (and if they don't pay anything, think Medicare) the Princess insurance will pay the difference.

Others may say otherwise, but, don't leave home without it.

Edited by ar1950

We have had Princess Insurance for all of our cruises and used it in Alaska. Med-evacuated off the ship in Sitka, 3 days in the hospital, First class air fare back to Seattle for our original flight back home. Paid well into 5 digits for the hospital, got a 50% refund on the cruise (Penthouse Suite), and the nights stay in Seattle to go back home. Yes it works and is worth it. Can you afford $45,000 out of pocket or fighting with medicare and all the secondary's for coverage when everyone has their hand out??

We have had Princess Insurance for all of our cruises and used it in Alaska. Med-evacuated off the ship in Sitka, 3 days in the hospital, First class air fare back to Seattle for our original flight back home. Paid well into 5 digits for the hospital, got a 50% refund on the cruise (Penthouse Suite), and the nights stay in Seattle to go back home. Yes it works and is worth it. Can you afford $45,000 out of pocket or fighting with medicare and all the secondary's for coverage when everyone has their hand out??

Since you were in Alaska, why did your regular insurance (or Medicare if 65 or older) not cover the 5-digits hospital costs (other than your deductible)?

Since the time we've made Platinum in the Captain's Circle we've had an auto upgrade to the Princess Vacation Protection Platinum insurance, so my answer is per the upgraded version.

We have had several instances where one or both of us have seen the ship's Doctor, and between our regular insurance and the Princess cruise insurance we've been compensated for every penny spent onboard during Doctor visits.

Since retirement, Medicare (administered via supplemental insurance) covers part of the medical bills but none of the pharmaceuticals provided onboard as they are dispensed and consumed while out of the USA. Once we've submitted the claims and gotten the EOB's back, then we submit to Princess Travel Care (see procedure in the booklet), and all the balance has been paid.

The extra insurance is well worth it, in our opinion.

This is my experience as well and heartily agree the Princess Platinum insurance is a must for every cruise. We also get the medical helicopter insurance in addition to the Princess insurance.

I got sick on the Royal T/A with a severe cold or something. I brought tons of various cold medicines with me but after a week, I wasn't getting better so I finally went to the Medical Center. Turns out I'd been walking around with a heathy temp. :( Anyway, they tested for flu (it was bacterial, not flu) and sent me off with a stack of prescriptions/medications. Literally, within 2-3 hours, I was feeling better and almost normal in a couple of days. Anyway, the bill came to just under. $300. After getting home, I submitted a claim to Anthem Blue Cross (Medicare doesn't cover any medical expenses outside the US, even on the ship) and I'm waiting for their response. Once I get it back, I'll submit the bill or remainder to Berkley Care (Princess insurance) for payment.

Since you were in Alaska, why did your regular insurance (or Medicare if 65 or older) not cover the 5-digits hospital costs (other than your deductible)?

We were docked in Maui so I thought Medicare would pay for the ship's doctor but they didn't. We had to use our travel insurance after submitting claim to Medicare first. Once someone is hospitalized it would seem Medicare would be primary in Alaska. Maybe it only covers the lower states? Hope someone can explain just for information......

This is sort of confusing. For common items such as getting the flu, cold, etc... Yes you would be covered.

What makes it confusing is the look back period. If the day you pay for insurance, within the 60 days previous to that if you had symptoms of a condition and then seek help on the ship, it is possible that you would not be covered. Just an example - if you pay for the insurance and saw the doctor a month before for a heart condition and there was a medical change of some sort, and then on the ship, you see the doctor for a similar heart condition or something related, you may not be covered.

Please call Berkley insurance and ask about pre-existing conditions and look back period and have them explain it to you.

We were docked in Maui so I thought Medicare would pay for the ship's doctor but they didn't. We had to use our travel insurance after submitting claim to Medicare first. Once someone is hospitalized it would seem Medicare would be primary in Alaska. Maybe it only covers the lower states? Hope someone can explain just for information......

If you see the doctor on the ship (even if docked), it is not considered in the US. I think it is as the doctor is not licensed to practice in the US. I am sure Medicare is covered in Hawaii and Alaska.

I was sick when I was in Alaska and the preferred prescription I usually take, the ship did not have. I have a lot of allergies to antibiotics and the doctor suggested one that would work but probably is not usually prescribed for what I had. I asked if he could just write a prescription and I could fill it in port and he explained that his prescription would not be honored in port. Sort of like a US Prescription is not honored in Canada.

I usually bring one from home with me and didn't on this trip. I won't make that mistake again. Though - the doctor and staff on the ship was top notch, so no complaints IMO.

Edited by Coral

If you see the doctor on the ship (even if docked), it is not considered in the US. I think it is as the doctor is not licensed to practice in the US. I am sure Medicare is covered in Hawaii and Alaska.

I was sick when I was in Alaska and the preferred prescription I usually take, the ship did not have. I have a lot of allergies to antibiotics and the doctor suggested one that would work but probably is not usually prescribed for what I had. I asked if he could just write a prescription and I could fill it in port and he explained that his prescription would not be honored in port. Sort of like a US Prescription is not honored in Canada.

I usually bring one from home with me and didn't on this trip. I won't make that mistake again. Though - the doctor and staff on the ship was top notch, so no complaints IMO.

You're right. We had to get a prescription filled in Maui. The Doctor on the ship wrote the prescription, sent it with a driver who had to get it authorized (re-written) by a local doctor and then pick up the meds and bring back to the ship. A $10 medicine at home cost us about $200 that day. Travel insurance paid for it, but not the $20 for the driver.

You're right. We had to get a prescription filled in Maui. The Doctor on the ship wrote the prescription, sent it with a driver who had to get it authorized (re-written) by a local doctor and then pick up the meds and bring back to the ship. A $10 medicine at home cost us about $200 that day. Travel insurance paid for it, but not the $20 for the driver.

Whatever he prescribed to me was "name brand" and cost about $200. In the US, there is a generic version. I am thankful for travel insurance :)

It sounds like the doctors are resourceful, which is good. Glad they hand a contact on land for you and it worked out.

Edited by Coral

Yes, you do. Not only does it cover the cost of the doctor's visit, we also were also offered reimbursement for a ship's excursion that I was on. I got hurt on that tour and they even allowed me to turn in my tour tickets for the following day as I knew I wasn't going to make it. It was past the date for which I could cancel but the doctor's office stamped it and money was refunded.

NICE!!