How many captain nights(formal) on Breakaway?

Legion103

7 nights-- how many captain night dinners do we have?

As others have posted here - There are no formal night dinners on any NCL ship.

You seem like you may need a little education about the signature Freestyle concept behind NCL cruises. It is quite different than what you may have experienced on the more regimented cruise lines you may be familiar with.

Check out NCLs website for some good info on what Freestyle is all about. Start with http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian and go from there.

I hope you have a great Freestyle cruise.

Usually the first full day at sea is "Norwegian's Night Out". You're encouraged to dress up, but it's totally your choice and not required. I'd say about 1/3 or so dressed up on our cruise. We did, but didn't feel overdressed. We did it because we wanted to and didn't care that the people dining next to us didn't. Our choice and their choice.

On my September cruise, the Dress Up or Not night was the second night of our cruise. You could have photos taken with the captain in the Atrium and if you are in The Haven, there is a cocktail party with the captain and other officers that same evening. Nearly everyone (staying in The Haven) was dressed up.

Tracy

And our experience in the Haven was not a single person dressed up any more than any other night. Slacks and sportshirts. A few jeans or shorts. No t's. On our last 4-5 cruises we have never noticed more than 5% or so dressed up at all and most of them changed after pictures with the captain. For the few that "really" dress up, they seem to do it most/every night. You will stand out. But feel free to enjoy whatever you like with the guidelines.

And our experience in the Haven was not a single person dressed up any more than any other night. Slacks and sportshirts. A few jeans or shorts. No t's. On our last 4-5 cruises we have never noticed more than 5% or so dressed up at all and most of them changed after pictures with the captain. For the few that "really" dress up, they seem to do it most/every night. You will stand out. But feel free to enjoy whatever you like with the guidelines.

That is how it was for us in March on BA. A few people dressed up but not a ton.

On my September cruise, the Dress Up or Not night was the second night of our cruise. You could have photos taken with the captain in the Atrium and if you are in The Haven, there is a cocktail party with the captain and other officers that same evening. Nearly everyone (staying in The Haven) was dressed up.

Tracy

Did they call it that? I've not seen a single Daily from any ship, at least posted or in person in 2014, where it was called that. I have seen Norwegians' Night Out, but not Dress Up or Not.

I also agree with this observation about the Haven. I have never observed that the Haven pax dress up for the Cocktail Party as mentioned in a previous comment. If someone wants to dress up, then good for them. That is there Freestyle choice that works for them. It is neither expected or observed that much at the Cocktail party.

Did they call it that? I've not seen a single Daily from any ship, at least posted or in person in 2014, where it was called that. I have seen Norwegians' Night Out, but not Dress Up or Not.

Our last cruise was in Dec. 2013 on the Pearl, the Freestyle Daily on first sea day has Norwegian's Night Out: Time 10:30-Close followed by Night Out After Party: 12:30 - Close.

Nowhere does it mention dressing up, although I guess it alludes to it with, "take that special someone out on the town for an UPSCALE evening..."

but still doesn't specify you need to dress up.

We might dress up a little but certainly no formal wear at all and DH just wears his nice jeans (no rips or tears) and a nice shirt, polo usually :)

Edited by All-ready2cruise

I only wear jeans with polos/long sleeve shirts and don't take dress pants only because I am on vacation and don't want to wear work clothes, but am thinking a should pack a pair perhaps? What is it like for cagneys and moderno?

No dress pants required.

Long pants and closed toe shoes for aft MDR and LeBistro only.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

Formal night or not, my wife and I have sailed with NCL on 12 plus occasions and always bring a tuxedo and gown, we will dress up for special invitations we are invited to, we are gold soon to be platinum. To our surprise during our cruise last month on the Getaway we saw many couples dressed to the nines, I will definitely bring my tuxedo for my cruise on the Breakaway 11/23/14

Formal night or not, my wife and I have sailed with NCL on 12 plus occasions and always bring a tuxedo and gown, we will dress up for special invitations we are invited to, we are gold soon to be platinum. To our surprise during our cruise last month on the Getaway we saw many couples dressed to the nines, I will definitely bring my tuxedo for my cruise on the Breakaway 11/23/14

And that is the beauty of Freestyle! You who enjoys dressing to the nines can feel free to do so and enjoy it. Those who don't can similarly enjoy their Freestyle experience.

And that is the beauty of Freestyle! You who enjoys dressing to the nines can feel free to do so and enjoy it. Those who don't can similarly enjoy their Freestyle experience.

I agree with that 100%, but I get somewhat confused when I cruise with Princess, Royal Caribbean and even Holland America, why do they have a structured formal night and half the ship don't bother dressing up, I do believe in "To each his own" but come on, glad they don't allow shorts in the MDR

• 1 month later...
If you are in the Haven, are VIP, or for some reason (like me) get invited to it, there is a Captains reception on the 2nd night. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about, but that's my two cents. :D

Thanks, good to know it is the second night; that is if they keep it the same, but likely as that is the sea day when people are settled.

Not knowing when these are also means that pre-plotting dinner or shows is a bit trickier in a way; I'll ask about these kind of things if I have another real reason to call the PCC again.

Not knowing when these are also means that pre-plotting dinner or shows is a bit trickier in a way; I'll ask about these kind of things if I have another real reason to call the PCC again.

Good luck with that. You would probably be the first person to find a PCC who knew such things.

I would not be overly concerned about "pre-plotting" dinners. I've yet to have a problem getting a dinner reservation on board ship.

Good luck with that. You would probably be the first person to find a PCC who knew such things.

I always assume that concierge do their utmost best but sometimes they will answer with a 'no'. Hence whatever I ask are just requests (unless there is something very very wrong then things might become demands)

I would not be overly concerned about "pre-plotting" dinners. I've yet to have a problem getting a dinner reservation on board ship.

Due to concierge that problem indeed does not exist ;)

Brains just have the weird tendency to try to make things as comfortable as possible. Hence knowing things in advance at least can make one avoid a surprise.

The Norwegian Night Out is the second day of the cruise, which is the first at sea day. Dressing up is optional. On my BA cruise over turkey day week I would say maybe 30% of passengers got completely dressed up. Another 20% may have been moderately dressed up. I brought a suit and did not wear it. I typically wear a sport coat with jeans every night. I wear sport coats because it makes it easier to carry things around and I would look like an idiot with a purse.