Embarkation Lunch in MDR?

SheriffJoe

Having not cruised X in a few years I was wondering what the status of embark MDR lunches are....I already know staff tries to guide you to the buffet and will tell you the MDR is not open but in the past if you were "in the know" and KNEW the MDR was open you could have lunch there. Is this still the situation?

Having not cruised X in a few years I was wondering what the status of embark MDR lunches are....I already know staff tries to guide you to the buffet and will tell you the MDR is not open but in the past if you were "in the know" and KNEW the MDR was open you could have lunch there. Is this still the situation?

Those days are gone

No lunch in MDR on embarkation; Oceanview, Aqua Spa cafe, Mast Grill & Bistro on 5 ( $7 charge) are all available for lunch on embarkation day.

Mercury was a few years ago. Lots of changes since then.

And if you are on one of the Newer S-Class Ships... Silhouette or Reflection... The Porch ($ 7 charge) up on the Lawn Deck is also open.

As the norm is to head to the Buffet... The other venues are typically less busy / more pleasant on E-Day

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

And if you are on one of the Newer S-Class Ships... Silhouette or Reflection... The Porch ($ 7 charge) up on the Lawn Deck is also open.

As the norm is to head to the Buffet... The other venues are typically less busy / more pleasant on E-Day

Cheers!

What about MDR for lunch on other port days or is it only open for lunch on sea days? We enjoy the MDR and don't like the buffet at all......we cruise for the ships not the ports and have been to most ports already anyway so staying onboard and having lunch in the MDR would be great

What about MDR for lunch on other port days or is it only open for lunch on sea days? We enjoy the MDR and don't like the buffet at all......we cruise for the ships not the ports and have been to most ports already anyway so staying onboard and having lunch in the MDR would be great

MDR Lunches are Sea Days only.

MDR Breakfasts are every day.

But the other options for Lunch are great (we don't go to the Buffet much either, maybe 2x or so on an entire cruise... 1 Breakfast & 1 Lunch)

Sometimes the bigger Specialty Restaurants are open for Lunch... Although that is often is for Sea Days too (best advice... Check your Celebrity Today Newsletter for that info)

We have enjoyed Bistro on 5 on Port Days in the past... Soups, Salads & Crepes... And they are in the process of rolling out a new menu which will also have some plated dishes too.

Not 100% sure about Port Days and AquaSpa Cafe... Near the Solarium Pool. But it too is a great venue with good food. Would definitely go there over the regular Buffet

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Another option on a port day to stay out of the buffet would be room service.

My lunch usual on a port day if I'm on board is the Bistro on 5. The Gelato has usually been set up, and I can get a strawberry crepe with vanilla Gelato to finish off my meal. :)

The Celebrity Summit this summer out of Bermuda was doing many "experiments" relative to service and dining.

One of those was opening BLU on embarkation for AquaClass guests, and Normandie for Suite Guests.

I've been wondering if this has remained now that they are done with Bermuda, as I've heard they changed back a lot of the Buffet changes/experiments since the swap of the season.

I've not heard yet that this has been rolled out to any other ship in the fleet, though do hoe it does happen.

I was pleasantly surprised when we boarded HAL that they had an embarkation lunch available in the MDR.

HAL offers their Mariner Brunch were you get a special invitation and a small gift. Does X do that?

I also miss port day lunches in the MDR. I don't think anyone does this anymore.

I was pleasantly surprised when we boarded HAL that they had an embarkation lunch available in the MDR.

HAL offers their Mariner Brunch were you get a special invitation and a small gift. Does X do that?

I also miss port day lunches in the MDR. I don't think anyone does this anymore.

X does not do that, and I don't believe they ever have. Port day lunch may be a part of the new suite dining room, but they don't do that now.

There was a time when X offered back to back pax lunch in the main dining room on what was turnaround day for them but embarkation day for newly boarding pax. A regular lunch menu was offered, with two or three tables available in the corner of the MDR manned by a few of the dining room staff. Haven't done a b2b lately, so not sure if X has done away with this.

Another reason we have learned through the years to not board the ship until the rooms are ready. The buffet is just madness - hugely overcrowded with people and carry-on luggage. Once someone finds a table they don't leave (I understand this, but it is frustrating if you truly are just trying to find a place for lunch). I understand the concept of making the most of every minute of your cruise, or getting your money's worth or whatever - but we view it differently. We try to pick a decent pre-cruise hotel and spend that morning taking a dip in the pool, enjoying a leisurely breakfast, etc.. Makes for a much more relaxing start to the cruise. :D

Another reason we have learned through the years to not board the ship until the rooms are ready. The buffet is just madness - hugely overcrowded with people and carry-on luggage. Once someone finds a table they don't leave (I understand this, but it is frustrating if you truly are just trying to find a place for lunch). I understand the concept of making the most of every minute of your cruise, or getting your money's worth or whatever - but we view it differently. We try to pick a decent pre-cruise hotel and spend that morning taking a dip in the pool, enjoying a leisurely breakfast, etc.. Makes for a much more relaxing start to the cruise. :D

About the only perk I really like being Platinum with Carnival is that you cabin is ready immediately, no waiting and luggage shows up in about 15 minutes... regardless of the cabin type. Now that Celebrity has spoiled us I am not sure how many times I will be able to use that perk....

What time does X give you access to your rooms?

One our one and only HAL sailing it was just when they were piloting the early access. I think it was supposed to be 11AM ... and they followed through .... we had access to our cabin as soon as we boarded. If memory serves, Royal is closer to the 1:30 mark, with luggage to follow several hours later.

I don't need my luggage early, but having access to the room early is a bonus.

What time does X give you access to your rooms?

One our one and only HAL sailing it was just when they were piloting the early access. I think it was supposed to be 11AM ... and they followed through .... we had access to our cabin as soon as we boarded. If memory serves, Royal is closer to the 1:30 mark, with luggage to follow several hours later.

I don't need my luggage early, but having access to the room early is a bonus.

Celebrity generally shoots for 1-1:30 for cabin availability.

I'e almost always had my luggage by the time muster is over, in suites generally even before muster yes, perhaps suites make that happen more - but when I sailed Aqua, my bag was delivered during the drill, my last inside cabin it was there about 15 after muster)

That is exactly the way we like to do it. We just request a late checkout time.

Even when you book a suite on the cruise ship, if you get to the port early they keep you sitting around waiting in a lounge in the terminal and then again on the ship.

The hotel pool and grounds are almost always much more attractive, quiet and less crowded than the pool area on a cruise ship on embarkation day.

Sometimes we even have the pool all to ourselves.

When we boarded Summit on 9/21, suite guests were allowed to eat in the MDR for lunch but not Normandie. Don't know if Blu was open for AQ guests but didn't hear anyone mention it.

When we sailed on HAL Zuiderdam in February, all Mariners (any level) were welcome to eat in the MDR and yes, they still hand out the infamous tiles as a gift.

Hi Curt,

cruised with you on the Eclipse TA and had dinner with you on the last formal night at Mr. Tiller`s table. I have been wondering how you did on the Summit in August in a inside cabin ???? I know you love the Suite Life. Let me know, Heather