I hummed & haarrd for 30 mins & the price increased by $550

It serves me right I guess!

I found a great price on a cruise to Hong Kong that I've been looking at booking but it's not until April 2016.

I've spent the past hour looking at different websites and downloading information then printing it all out.

I decided to put down a deposit on an ocean view guarantee as it was showing at just $10 each (deposit) but INSTEAD OF DOING IT ONLINE I called the company and between the time I placed the call and the operator took all my details, the price per person had risen by $550!!!! :eek::eek:

I declined to proceed with the booking but then went back to their site and found that an ocean view was still available for a great price, just a little above the original guarantee category price that I'd first seen. STILL $500 below the newly priced guarantee!!:)

So, yes, I booked the ocean view cabin with just $20 deposit for two, and have until tomorrow to confirm my booking!

MORAL OF THE STORY? If you find an amazing price - book it straight away! You can always cancel later and in this case that would only be $20!!

Gae

Hi Gae, I know the feeling well. I am building a house at the moment so shouldn't think of cruising but a good deal was there so I have booked for Jan 16 and Sept/Oct16. $10 dep each cruise, and I have $250 OBC for each of the cruises. I travel solo and I have found that unless I book verrrrry early, either there are no cabins for solos, or they are 100% surcharge. These cruises were 50% surcharge. K

Edited by kunnocat

Hi Gae, I know the feeling well. I am building a house at the moment so shouldn't think of cruising but a good deal was there so I have booked for Jan 16 and Sept/Oct16. $10 dep each cruise, and I have $250 OBC for each of the cruises. I travel solo and I have found that unless I book verrrrry early, either there are no cabins for solos, or they are 100% surcharge. These cruises were 50% surcharge. K

Gosh Kunnocat - building a house AND finding spare dosh for cruising! You are doing well - for me it's either spend my money on disposable things each week (coffees, restaurants, new clothing etc. etc. etc.) or put down a deposit on a cruise and pay it off little by little each month from the proceeds of my little 1-day per week job.

So far, I've been lucky to find others to cruise with me but I may well be wearing my welcome a bit thin with my friends so might find myself looking at solo cruising too in the future! If I could find some with 50% surcharge I'd jump at them too!

I've just returned from a little 2-night sampler (solo) just to check that I'd be happy to be cruising alone and that I wouldn't feel ALONE but it was great and I met so many people, perhaps because I was alone! :confused:

Gae

Edited by gaechann

Gosh Kunnocat - building a house AND finding spare dosh for cruising! You are doing well - for me it's either spend my money on disposable things each week (coffees, restaurants, new clothing etc. etc. etc.) or put down a deposit on a cruise and pay it off little by little each month from the proceeds of my little 1-day per week job.

Gae

Yes Gae, the house and cruising is a huge challenge, but when my husband died many years ago I told myself that if I wanted to do something and it was vaguely doable then I would do it. Otherwise I am a very cautious person. Juggling the pennies is a challenge but worth it. K

It serves me right I guess!

I found a great price on a cruise to Hong Kong that I've been looking at booking but it's not until April 2016.

I've spent the past hour looking at different websites and downloading information then printing it all out.

I decided to put down a deposit on an ocean view guarantee as it was showing at just $10 each (deposit) but INSTEAD OF DOING IT ONLINE I called the company and between the time I placed the call and the operator took all my details, the price per person had risen by $550!!!! :eek::eek:

I declined to proceed with the booking but then went back to their site and found that an ocean view was still available for a great price, just a little above the original guarantee category price that I'd first seen. STILL $500 below the newly priced guarantee!!:)

So, yes, I booked the ocean view cabin with just $20 deposit for two, and have until tomorrow to confirm my booking!

MORAL OF THE STORY? If you find an amazing price - book it straight away! You can always cancel later and in this case that would only be $20!!

Gae

Hi Gae

Not sure but it sounds like a cruise we were looking at on the Legend from Brisbane to Hong Kong , also with a TA asking for a $10 deposit but it turned out that final payment was due 9 months before departure so we gave it a miss

Hi Gai, we are on the cruise you booked.

Booked early with the same TA, got some onboard credit.

Who knows what will happen with the pricing, I have been watching it and it hasnt changed since we booked a few months ago.

Look forward to meeting you onboard:)

Have you found anyone to cruise with you? I saw your post on our Rollcall:p

Chez

xx

Yes Gae, the house and cruising is a huge challenge, but when my husband died many years ago I told myself that if I wanted to do something and it was vaguely doable then I would do it. Otherwise I am a very cautious person. Juggling the pennies is a challenge but worth it. K

Love your attitude! May you have many years of cruising ahead of you! I see you are in Perth - love that place and know it quite well as I visit every year to catch up with 2 of my sons & 5 grandchildren!

Hi Gae

Not sure but it sounds like a cruise we were looking at on the Legend from Brisbane to Hong Kong , also with a TA asking for a $10 deposit but it turned out that final payment was due 9 months before departure so we gave it a miss

Their prices were the cheapest of any where else today so though it's 18 months away, I bit the bullet and jumped on it. There are limited cabins available this far out, though I was lucky enough to chose an ocean view on Deck 3, midship so I'm happy! :)

Well I have to pay final 6 months before but I like their small deposits as I pay off my cruises each month so that by the time final payment is due, I've got it mostly paid for - less pain financially for me that way.

I was going to book on board for the OBC but the online site was showing much lower prices than RCI so I went with them. I've also used them for my QM2 cruise next year and so far I'm more than happy with their service.

I hope you reconsider and look at booking this one! Some great ports that I've never been to!

Gae

Gae, are you sure that there are no penalty fees for cancelling? Some online TAs will not allow the deposit to be transferred to another cruise either. Just checking, as I don't know the agent you are using, and don't need to, as long as you are sure you will not get penalties that are unexpected if you do change your mind.

Hi Gai, we are on the cruise you booked.

Booked early with the same TA, got some onboard credit.

Who knows what will happen with the pricing, I have been watching it and it hasnt changed since we booked a few months ago.

Look forward to meeting you onboard:)

Have you found anyone to cruise with you? I saw your post on our Rollcall:p

Chez

xx

Hello there Chez

Yes, I've booked with my sister even though she prefers Princess but their prices to Hong Kong are just ridiculous so she's agreed to go at this stage but she's been known to cancel before making final payment with other bookings!

Because it's 18 months away, we'll all be Best Friends from the Roll Call by the time we meet up on board. Please don't be shy! Join in the chatter on the Roll Call - it's good fun to read what others have planned in each Port.:)

I'm also keen to find out about hotels in Hong Kong as we'll probably stay on for 3 or 4 nights then will have to check out flights back to Brisbane. Last time we did this we had to travel at night.

Have you looked at hotels and return flights yet? :confused:

Gae

Gae, are you sure that there are no penalty fees for cancelling? Some online TAs will not allow the deposit to be transferred to another cruise either. Just checking, as I don't know the agent you are using, and don't need to, as long as you are sure you will not get penalties that are unexpected if you do change your mind.

Thanks for your concern Goody! I asked when I made the booking today - "what happens if I have to cancel the booking?" "You will lose your $20 deposit" was the reply. I've taken notes and names of everyone I spoke to so they'll have a little fight on their hands if they aren't true to their word - if push comes to shove!

I won't be cancelling though but I may have to make a name change as my sister is notorious for changing her mind before final payment. :( I asked about a change of name and was told there was a $25 charge to do that.

Gae

Hello there Chez

Yes, I've booked with my sister even though she prefers Princess but their prices to Hong Kong are just ridiculous so she's agreed to go at this stage but she's been known to cancel before making final payment with other bookings!

Because it's 18 months away, we'll all be Best Friends from the Roll Call by the time we meet up on board. Please don't be shy! Join in the chatter on the Roll Call - it's good fun to read what others have planned in each Port.:)

I'm also keen to find out about hotels in Hong Kong as we'll probably stay on for 3 or 4 nights then will have to check out flights back to Brisbane. Last time we did this we had to travel at night.

Have you looked at hotels and return flights yet? :confused:

Gae

Gae, at this stage I prefer Princess also:p I get alot more benefits.....but I really liked this itineray. We have a few Royal cruises booked, have to climb the ladder again haha!

Just remembered you are my neighbour, we are at Port Macquarie.

Havent looked at hotels yet and flights are too far out. We are off to Singapore for 11 nights on the Sapphire Princess in January so focus has been on that.

Will chat to you over on the Rollcall........and just realised I am 1 post off 3000, only taken me nearly 10 years!!!

Chez

xx

Edited by cheznandy

Good for you :). Great to see you are still facing up to life's challenges.

Very strange! Yesterday I mentioned a cruise that I was looking at suddenly rose in price by $550 pp on both the cruise line site and all online travel agent sites but today, the prices are back down to what they were earlier yesterday! :confused::confused:

What's going on I wonder?

Anyway, I'm happy with my cabin choice whereas if I'd booked the cabin guarantee I'd be left wondering what we would end up with.

SO NOW A NEW MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't be surprised if the price you see bounce up suddenly one day doesn't go right back down the next! :eek:

Gae

Very strange! Yesterday I mentioned a cruise that I was looking at suddenly rose in price by $550 pp on both the cruise line site and all online travel agent sites but today, the prices are back down to what they were earlier yesterday! :confused::confused:

Anyway, I'm happy with my cabin choice whereas if I'd booked the cabin guarantee I'd be left wondering what we would end up with.

SO NOW A NEW MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't be surprised if the price you see bounce up suddenly one day doesn't go right back down the next! :eek:

Gae

Its probably due to someone putting a hold on a cabin and now they decided they didn't want it and its gone back in teh pool.

Gae

This has been happening with some cruises lately, prices going up and down like yoyos. Probably just a supply demand issue with the system reacting every time someone buys into the cruise.:D

I hope you reconsider and look at booking this one! Some great ports that I've never been to! Quote;

Gae

Hi Gae you are right this cruise has pretty nice itinerary but we haven't dismissed it completely , what I meant was skipping the reduced deposit deal and the early final payment ,but we are also looking at the Sydney to Hawaii cruise on Solstice in April 2016 just have to decide

Gae

Could it be "cookies" on your computer? Happens to me with flights also, so I never use the exact date when I'm just researching. Tick "flexible with dates", which shows the date you are really interested in.

Could it be "cookies" on your computer? Happens to me with flights also, so I never use the exact date when I'm just researching. Tick "flexible with dates", which shows the date you are really interested in.

Possibly a very clever move. I will try this next time.:D

Its probably due to someone putting a hold on a cabin and now they decided they didn't want it and its gone back in teh pool.

I doubt it as all categories rose yesterday then all went back to the previous prices today!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cheeky monkeys do this constantly not just in travel sites... 9 times out of 10 I can usually get lower price's back if I close and start a new browser session.... my history is on auto clear when browser closes...you can clear manually...... on the one occasion it doesn't work and I am desperate I resort to cookie clearing......or move on to the other laptop or iphone or anything handy.....:eek::eek::D:D

Cheeky monkeys do this constantly not just in travel sites... 9 times out of 10 I can usually get lower price's back if I close and start a new browser session.... my history is on auto clear when browser closes...you can clear manually...... on the one occasion it doesn't work and I am desperate I resort to cookie clearing......or move on to the other laptop or iphone or anything handy.....:eek::eek::D:D

Thinking strategically and cleverly about how and when to check prices and when to buy. It is starting to get really complicated just to get the deal you see.:eek:

Thinking strategically and cleverly about how and when to check prices and when to buy. It is starting to get really complicated just to get the deal you see.:eek:

Name of the game is to try and stay one step ahead :cool::cool::D