2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

The two articles I read mentioned that the person in question has been asymptomatic for 19 days....21 days is the maximum self monitoring time period. No amount of screening before she boarded that ship would have caught any sign or symptom of ebola (for at least the one person who questioned if Carnival was doing any screening).

Ebola is only contagious if you are displaying symptoms...thus for the person who questioned if someone could be a carrier of ebola and not know it--the answer to that would be no.

The difference between the Frontier plane and the Carnival ship is that the nurse who flew Frontier did have a low grade fever when she flew--thus, albeit very unlikely, she could have exposed others to ebola and the plane should be thoroughly cleaned, but if the Carnival passenger had no symptoms, there would be no danger to anyone.

OMG, over-react much people? From the articles I read, she would be no greater risk to the people on the ship than she would have been if she abided by the travel ban but still endangered those in the city of Dallas.

So, all this being said, would you still sail on the Magic this Sunday?!

I would but I canceled my January cruise. I'm not worried about things now but I think by January it will be a very different story and higher level of risk. I hope I'm wrong.

I am amazed by the total selfish lack of concern for others by people. This is on all the local Dallas news stations. She has been put in isolation along with her husband, and they are trying to arrange to get them off the ship and back to the States. STUPID.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hospital-worker-handled-ebola-samples-caribbean-cruise/story?id=26263642

And it is not "May have had contact", she handled the samples.

Edited by wallie5446

People over on the Carnival board are saying they will have no trouble boarding the Magic on Sunday for the next cruise. Big question now is, will Carnival allow the ship to continue to sail? Report has it the Frontier jet that flew those potential ebola cases has been isolated and cleaned, but is still not back in service.

...reminds me of Richard Preston's book published in 1994 :

The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story is a best-selling non-fiction thriller about the origins and incidents involving viral hemorrhagic fevers,

particularly ebolaviruses and marburgviruses. The basis of the book was Preston's 1992 New Yorker article "Crisis in the Hot Zone".

He concludes the book by saying EBOV will be back.

All things seem to circle around to bite us in the butt sooner or later! The TV show "The Last Ship" that was on this summer seems to also have hit home a bit!

I would but I canceled my January cruise. I'm not worried about things now but I think by January it will be a very different story and higher level of risk. I hope I'm wrong.

I also hope you stay out of airports, malls, schools, and anywhere else where there are people. The person who hands you change in a store could be have a symptom (of anything!!) and you wouldn't know it. I guess soon people will be wearing rubber gloves and face masks in public.

So, all this being said, would you still sail on the Magic this Sunday?!

I would think it will sail, maybe a little late as the crew "cleans" the ship. My thought would be if they close off their cabin for a cruise or two to cover themselves. If they do, someone might get a good upgrade.

That being said, yes, I'd cruise. I think you'll see more passengers using more self precautions.

I would sail on the Magic today in a heartbeat. Now, if she had vomiting/diarrhea and had been roaming the ship with those symptoms, I would probably think twice.

I totally agree with you - don't think she is high risk after 19 days.

People over on the Carnival board are saying they will have no trouble boarding the Magic on Sunday for the next cruise. Big question now is, will Carnival allow the ship to continue to sail? Report has it the Frontier jet that flew those potential ebola cases has been isolated and cleaned, but is still not back in service.

Those are 2 completely different situations. The plane carried someone infected with ebola. The ship, as far as anyone knows, did not.

Well, guess we just don't know exactly what went on in her private, cabin bathroom, now do we...this was just a matter of when not if....we will just wait and see what happens and if they can contain all this after allowing the hospital workers to roam and travel around freely.....we will see....but one thing is for sure, they are scrambling now aren't they???

Those are 2 completely different situations. The plane carried someone infected with ebola. The ship, as far as anyone knows, did not.

I agree, but the interest is in if Carnival will choose to err on the side of caution, not needing negative publicity for whatever they do or don't do.