2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

As I understand it, the CDC notified Carnival that someone on the ship was among those that a travel ban had been instituted on. The passenger was likely self monitoring as she should have been, which is all that is expected of anyone who may have come in contact with the disease. Because she was already traveling, the CDC thought it prudent that she be returned to the US as quickly as possible.

For those who think she should have canceled her cruise because of this, I have to respectfully disagree with you. (shakes head). If you had any idea about what kinds of things you may be exposed to at any given time, you probably would never leave your house. People in the US handle dangerous biological materials in the US--meaning that they are potentially exposed to them. They are among you in your communities, flying with you on your planes, and cruising with you on your ships. The only thing that makes this really any different is that 1) news about ebola is a daily occurrence now, 2) people think they understand what's going on, but really don't, and 3) there has been transmission in the US of ebola to healthcare workers treating an infected patient. But believe me, it's a daily fact of life in the US whether or not it's in the news.

Are you kidding me???? Handling EBOLA specimins is a daily fact of life???? hahahahaha. I think not.

Ebola is not "worse because it's in the news." It's worse because it has a very high mortality rate, 50/50 chance you DIE, and strikes people down in the PRIME of their lives, not just mainly the elderly and infants. And QUICKLY. It's also a terrible way to go. It also costs the healthcare system $500,000 per patient to stay in the hospital for MONTHS. Comparing this to our everyday lives is ludacris.

The entire US only has ELEVEN beds equipped to handle these patients. ELEVEN. We are not even close to ready to handle this.

Edited by jetta8300

You seriously believe them she has no symptoms? Look at my earlier post. Why would she choose NOW to tell someone, and not when she boarded??? Total bologna.

Thankfully the Yale students back from Sierra Leone tested negative. They did have fevers

Lets just hope the tests are accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

GUYS. You have NO IDEA when she started showing symptoms. We only know what the patient chooses to tell us. She could have been showing symptoms a week ago and chose to ignore them so she could board. The only person who knows what went on in her cabin/bathroom, and the public restroom areas for that matter, is HER.

Look at Amber Vinson. I live in Akron where she spent Oct. 8-13. At first, the news outlets were all saying, "NO WORRIES! She was having no symptoms on either flight, and started when she got back to Dallas." Then we find out she had a low grade fever when she boarded the second plane. And then of course now they are backtracking after interviewing her friends and family. People basically have ratted her out saying she was "feeling wierd" as far back as Oct. 9!!! Now she admits to having full blown symptoms on at least the second flight such as "Fever, muscle aches, malaise, and nausea."

If you guys believe for a second that this person wouldn't lie, and JUST NOW started showing symptoms, that's ridiculous. I definitely hope she doesn't have it but there is a reason she contacted authorities, and it's not because she's asymptomatic...

What are they going to do with the person/persons cleaning her toilet?...

Finally!!! Thank you!

Since the only known "outbreak" of ebola, thus far, has been in Texas, and since the Texas hospital appears to have dropped the ball, and since the "voluntary" quarantine has "failed" in Texas, with the sadly infected nurse traveling to Ohio, then why do we not stop all travel to and from Texas? Seems logical to me.

Since the only known "outbreak" of ebola, thus far, has been in Texas, and since the Texas hospital appears to have dropped the ball, and since the "voluntary" quarantine has "failed" in Texas, with the sadly infected nurse traveling to Ohio, then why do we not stop all travel to and from Texas? Seems logical to me.

Actually as if right now that does seem logical but the posters will flame you anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I understand it, the CDC notified Carnival that someone on the ship was among those that a travel ban had been instituted on. The passenger was likely self monitoring as she should have been, which is all that is expected of anyone who may have come in contact with the disease. Because she was already traveling, the CDC thought it prudent that she be returned to the US as quickly as possible.

For those who think she should have canceled her cruise because of this, I have to respectfully disagree with you. (shakes head). If you had any idea about what kinds of things you may be exposed to at any given time, you probably would never leave your house. People in the US handle dangerous biological materials in the US--meaning that they are potentially exposed to them. They are among you in your communities, flying with you on your planes, and cruising with you on your ships. The only thing that makes this really any different is that 1) news about ebola is a daily occurrence now, 2) people think they understand what's going on, but really don't, and 3) there has been transmission in the US of ebola to healthcare workers treating an infected patient. But believe me, it's a daily fact of life in the US whether or not it's in the news.

As to 1) might be now, but never was 2) BINGO 3) Present here in the US, since when?

In a way I agree but these workers were not told that they could not fly or go on a cruise. I believe the CDC dropped the ball on that one.

Just steppin in here, now the entire CC community is about this now....

We all know how important the Illness questionnaire is and why. She did too. She obviously kept pertinent information from Carnival knowing she would not have been allowed aboard. That is the point. I don't care what CDC said, she should have been more concerned for the other passengers....she obviously didn't care. When, at some point, are people going to start taking responsibility for their own actions and how they affect others, instead of thinking only of theirselves.

Ice King, I totally disagree with you. THis isn't the common cold we're talking about here.

Edited by BecciBoo

I am sure she did not want to lose her cruise deposit, would any of us? Perhaps more people SHOULD buy travel insurance and I see this becoming the need rather than an extra. Ebola and probably civil unrest (for the Middle East, ISIS) writers on travel policies. Cruise lines and airlines will have to change to and adopt new policies to deal with the emerging issues of our world.

Global epidemics are something we people in the US have been very blind to for centuries given the quality of our medical care. Our "it won't happen here" mentality needs to change and we need to be more aware, but the fact is air and cruise travel could become what we all need to think about. Until guidelines are established and they really need to be, it will be important to be smart and think about all the others you contact in travel situations.

Being a nurse I have been exposed to Legionnaires disease, which I never contracted but was preventatively treated for and put on leave for a few weeks at the CDC recommendation. In the early 1980's, I took care of many critically ill patients who had HIV before we even knew what it was or how it was transmitted. It is something as a heath care worker you accept, and you really should take responsibility for.

EVERYONE needs to be more proactive, and caring about how our lives implicate others when we travel, especially when we are talking the dangers of the world we now live in. It is something they need to develop trainings for and health care workers should use extra judgment, in their non work lives to make sure they are safe in their jobs, but also not bringing things home to family friends and the communities they live in.

I admire this lady, she is not sick, but yet was responsible and came forward, probably because of the media hoopla regarding the other nurse flying with a slight temperature. We had things all over the new last night that the Frontier airline jets she was one came stopped in San Diego and left again before ending up in decontamination. The new caster sensationalized it, and it likely we will hear other stories like this again.

Carnival, is going to do all it can to protect it's passengers and crews, and it was good to see John Heald's post. I am sure we will see new guidelines and probably way more complex health screenings to travel... it needed to happen about 3 weeks ago!

Edited by TheCruisingBrewers

Ouch-harsh words towards somebody who didn't know she was ill and has less than 50% chance of surviving. Not sending any prayers her way, huh?

But I do think cruise lines, air travel, etc are all better safe than sorry.

Those words were not harsh. Before you come down with the flu or even a cold, doesn't your body "not feel quite right"?

I truly feel her wedding party feels a bit unforgiving about their friend exposing them to the virus. I wonder if the bride even told her wedding friends she had been exposed. I would imagine they asked her as they knew she worked at that hospital.

I am sure she did not want to lose her cruise deposit, would any of us? Perhaps more people SHOULD buy travel insurance and I see this becoming the need rather than an extra. Ebola and probably civil unrest (for the Middle East, ISIS) writers on travel policies. Cruise lines and airlines will have to change to and adopt new policies to deal with the emerging issues of our world.

Global epidemics are something we people in the US have been very blind to for centuries given the quality of our medical care. Our "it won't happen here" mentality needs to change and we need to be more aware, but the fact is air and cruise travel could become what we all need to think about. Until guidelines are established and they really need to be, it will be important to be smart and think about all the others you contact in travel situations.

Being a nurse I have been exposed to Legionnaires disease, which I never contracted but was preventatively treated for and put on leave for a few weeks at the CDC recommendation. In the early 1980's, I took care of many critically ill patients who had HIV before we even knew what it was or how it was transmitted. It is something as a heath care worker you accept, and you really should take responsibility for.

EVERYONE needs to be more proactive, and caring about how our lives implicate others when we travel, especially when we are talking the dangers of the world we now live in. It is something they need to develop trainings for and health care workers should use extra judgment, in their non work lives to make sure they are safe in their jobs, but also not bringing things home to family friends and the communities they live in.

I admire this lady, she is not sick, but yet was responsible and came forward, probably because of the media hoopla regarding the other nurse flying with a slight temperature. We had things all over the new last night that the Frontier airline jets she was one came stopped in San Diego and left again before ending up in decontamination. The new caster sensationalized it, and it likely we will hear other stories like this again.

Carnival, is going to do all it can to protect it's passengers and crews, and it was good to see John Heald's post. I am sure we will see new guidelines and probably health screenings to travel... it needed to happen about 3 weeks ago!

I, on the other hand, believe she came forward because she is showing symptoms. We may or may not hear the real story like we are just starting to now with Amber Vinson's symptoms. (full blown symptoms on second flight AT LEAST which they denied at first). But I'll say it again, THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT GOES ON IN HER CABIN BATHROOM IS HER. And the only thing we know is what she chooses to tell us.

Edited by jetta8300

I, on the other hand, believe she came forward because she is showing symptoms. We may or may not hear the real story like we are now with Amber Vinson's symptoms. But I'll say it again, THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT GOES ON IN HER CABIN BATHROOM IS HER. And the only thing we know is what she chooses to tell us.

She didn't come forward as I understand it. The CDC notified Carnival.

What baffles me is that the CDC think someone handling a lab sample is at risk- (unless an accident happens with a sample). I was a lab worker - and know this should not be the case- Labs handle potentially dangerous material all the time (HIV, HEP,Meningococcal , TB, ANTHRAX, and even Ebloa - that's how vaccines are made). No travel bans have ever been placed on Lab workers in the past.

I can only guess that either there is a mistake about what this person does - may be they take the bloods for testing- or there was an issue at the test site that has now come to light.

Creating panic is no way to handle the disease. This person handled body fluids and waste from the patient. So unless you plan to handle body fluids from a person there is no way you can get Ebola. But so many want to create panic or play politics. There is not one documented case of anyone catching Ebola other than handling body waste or body fluids. Until then I refuse to join the political panic bandwagon.

And you obviously don't know the facts. Duncan, the index patient, apparently did not handle body waste, he simply helped a woman back into her home in Liberia. As a Dr. demonstrated on the news yesterday with paint and a hazmat suit, even saliva think sneeze, can contaminate a hazmat and it can then spread this virus for a number of hours. That's a fact, not political clap trap. If nurses can be concerned that their necks are exposed in the gear they were using and since they know a lot more than you do about how contagion is spread, I think those who don't think taking sufficient precautions is key right now are underplaying the threat. As I'm sure the 2 nurses and now this lab worker would tell you. If someone who has all that gear on was able to get it, what about people who deny the risk or those who have no chance to take precautions do?

Edited by BecciBoo

I, on the other hand, believe she came forward because she is showing symptoms. We may or may not hear the real story like we are just starting to now with Amber Vinson's symptoms. (full blown symptoms on second flight AT LEAST which they denied at first). But I'll say it again, THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS WHAT GOES ON IN HER CABIN BATHROOM IS HER. And the only thing we know is what she chooses to tell us.

She did not "come forward". :rolleyes:

There is no evidence that she ever handled any of the specimens of Duncan's. As the lab supervisor, she MAY have. It's been 19 days and she is exhibiting no symptoms.

Everyone was free to disembark in Belize with the exception of the healthcare worker and her travel companion.

"A Carnival spokeswoman, however, said the ship made its scheduled visit to Belize Thursday. “Passengers were free to disembark there for the day other than the guest and her traveling companion who are in voluntary isolation.”

In its own statement Thursday, the the Belize government said it “was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola….Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a U.S. request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Phillip Goldson International Airport.”

What baffles me is that the CDC think someone handling a lab sample is at risk- (unless an accident happens with a sample). I was a lab worker - and know this should not be the case- Labs handle potentially dangerous material all the time (HIV, HEP,Meningococcal , TB, ANTHRAX, and even Ebloa - that's how vaccines are made). No travel bans have ever been placed on Lab workers in the past.

I can only guess that either there is a mistake about what this person does - may be they take the bloods for testing- or there was an issue at the test site that has now come to light.

The nurses have reported this over the last few days. That there were definite problems in the ways that his samples were taken and transported. We haven't had much detail but they have come forward saying that his samples were not handled with care.

From what I understand:

The virus can only be transmitted from contact of the bodily fluids of someone who is experiencing full on symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea etc.)

The only people who have contracted the disease in the US are the health care workers who were directly taking care of the patient who died.

None of the non medical people who came into contact with the original patient have become infected. Even though some of them were living in the same apartment with him, the virus did not spread to them.

According to CNN, the lab worker on the Magic does not have any symptoms.

CDC royally screwed up by not restricting travel for those who were in direct contact with the original patient.

The situation in TX has forced our nation's hospitals to plan for the possibility of an Ebola patient walking into their ER. The silver lining of this scare is that real training and real precautions will now be the norm instead of the exception.

Blame the hospital as they knew perfectly well the threat they were dealing with. Their total incompetence and ignorance in not staging a quarantine for anyone that had anything to do with the patient is what got us here.

That hospital knows they screwed up big time with their arrogant attitude of "it could never happen to us". They are in the hot seat now, they knew exactly what they were dealing with period. Let me guess, the patient was sent home first time cuz maybe no insurance? Hmmmm....ah yes, always comes down to money, yeah don't kid yourself, they knew exactly what they were doing and why.....

This is utter nonsense and potentially defamatory. If I were you, I would think twice about posting any other inflammatory and probably false statements.

This is wrong. Nobody was allowed off the ship in Belize.

"The Belize coast guard is not allowing the ship to dock or its passengers to disembark, although the unidentified woman is being monitored and has not shown symptoms, according to State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki. She was identified through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s effort to track everyone who came into contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the man who died Oct. 8 at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital after infecting at least two nurses who have been identified and are being treated."

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/17/dallas-lab-worker-quarantined-aboard-cruise-ship-other-passengers-stranded/

I'm not sure what you mean by "full blown." It has been reported she had a 99.5 temp (barely above normal) and had some muscle aches. I'm not sure those are defined as "full blown."

I agree lab people are really the least suspect, unless of course other things were found amiss in the hospitals plans. Some of then were so horrible I cannot imagine they could not sort out "oh this is a mistake". Piles of diapers and waste, when we know that is how it is transmitted seems a bad idea, as does letting samples go through pneumatic tubes.

That being said we do only hear what we are allowed to hear and likely will not know the real story for a long time....

We also should not feed the hysteria and speculate and suppose theories of what MIGHT have happened...

Just saying.

I understand the CDC contacted Carnival also. I do hope, as it is being reported, that she and husband are not exhibiting any symptoms. I read on the WHO website (under the heading Transmission) that men that have recovered from Ebola can transmit the virus through their semen for up to seven weeks afterward. What a nightmare for the room stewards and housekeeping that handle the bedding on cruise ships!

Just steppin in here, now the entire CC community is about this now....

We all know how important the Illness questionnaire is and why. She did too. She obviously kept pertinent information from Carnival knowing she would not have been allowed aboard. That is the point. I don't care what CDC said, she should have been more concerned for the other passengers....she obviously didn't care. When, at some point, are people going to start taking responsibility for their own actions and how they affect others, instead of thinking only of theirselves.

Ice King, I totally disagree with you. THis isn't the common cold we're talking about here.

This is ridiculous. How do you know she withheld "pertinent" information? Your perfect 20/20 hindsight vision is real helpful (not). And your quote "she obviously didn't care" is an outright despicable thing to say about someone you don't know and circumstances you weren't privy to.