2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

I went on the Carnival website and this gives the current screenshot

http://ships.carnivalentertainment.com/#ship/carnival-magic/cameras

Hate to tell you but the information from Carni's site is incorrect.

Vessel Finder uses the AIS signal every ship must broadcast every hour for positioning. It is off the coast of Cozemel. Look at the webcam shots, were taken at night, are not real time.

As to those that gave direct care to Duncan, I think they should have been "locked down" for 21 days with pay. They should have been in some form of house confinement to see if they developed a fever, aches, head aches, etc.. As to testing, I do not know if test prior to becoming symptomatic are effective.

Exactly. Quarantine and pay people during that time. Yeah, it sucks to cancel a trip, but that's the nature of employment sometimes.

As for testing, I agree with the symptoms thing. Also, I think the idea of having vials and vials of potentially infected ebola blood hanging around probably isn't for the best. I don't really know all that much about the testing, so that's all just speculation.

This is a lab worker, not someone who came in contact with a patient...This person worked in a lab, apparently as a supervisor, where samples were processed. No one has suggested that she came in contact with the fluids.

Actually, the news story said she actually handled the lab samples, which is why the entire lab was not being monitored. But, you know the news...who knows what the real story is.

Stop the hysteria.

I respectfully refuse. It keeps my cruise prices down.

These are my personal thoughts and I didn't start this thread to start arguments because I realize there are strong emotions on both sides and I realize that these hospital workers made sacrifices to help others and they ought to be commemorated for that.

1. Ground flights from West Africa. There are virtually no direct flights from West Africa to the US -- they almost always connect in Europe, so we need to work with the EU to quarantine any suspected cases.

2. We need to close our borders, particularly the southern border until the last Ebola case has played itself out. Ebola would be easy to spread if there were cases in South and Central America.

3. Enforce quarantines of suspected cases and have a third party monitor hospital workers instead of this self-monitoring which could go terribly wrong if someone is in denial about the disease.

4. Set up large isolation units in local hospitals, gather a group of doctors and nurses who are willing to work in the quarantine ward and therefore be quarantined themselves. An SOP for all hospitals needs to be created and enforced.

5. Finally we should continue to send aid and assistance to West Africa, utilizing chartered flights to minimize the impact of Ebola on the population when the aid workers return.

Some of these things may seem extreme and would undoubtedly interfere with our cruise addictions but these measures may become necessary if they aren't necessary already.

Thoughts? Rebuttals? I am open to hearing others' opinions and invite a dialogue.

Logic!

Not the strains we know of now but new ones are sprouting up all the time. People spread contagion all the time. It is impossible to monitor everyone every day.

I have the same probability of catching something at the grocery store, the doctor's office, the local school, and people I come into contact with everyday.

There have been flu pandemics in the past and there will be in the future.

http://www.flu.gov/pandemic/history/

The ones who have had some exposure in the past will likely be affected the least.

I think it is naive to compare the Flu to Ebola. We don't really know how far Ebola could spread here in America. JMO.

Number of people that have contracted and died from Ebola in the US... ZERO. Which makes the flu thousands of times deadlier at this time.

As to those that gave direct care to Duncan, I think they should have been "locked down" for 21 days with pay. They should have been in some form of house confinement to see if they developed a fever, aches, head aches, etc.. As to testing, I do not know if test prior to becoming symptomatic are effective.

I agree, but if I had been one, I would've submitted myself for quarantine voluntarily. None of the following chaos would've developed if it had been done and we would still be potentially following just a few people not over 200 now and growing!:mad:.

Number of people that have contracted and died from Ebola in the US... ZERO. Which makes the flu thousands of times deadlier at this time.

Geez, be sure and don't hold your breath until 1 does!:rolleyes: There have been more deaths by flu because more people contracted the flu. When 250k people contract Ebola, then you can compare the deaths that will ensue. With the correct statistics Ebola will indeed exponentially surpass any due to flu. Many more have survived flu than died from it,...not so with Ebola, in fact according to the CDC, if you contract Ebola you only have a 30% chance of surviving. Not so good...of course that particular stat changes depending on which country you get it in...

Edited by BecciBoo

Belize would not allow the ship to dock or anyone to disembark. They decided the health of their people took precedence. What a great thought.

A little extreme? To me, with this kind of dangerous virus, it is very reasonable!

Ships do not "dock" in Belize" they anchor several miles from the pot and tender people in. What happened is that the authorities in Belize decided not to let the "patient" from the ship (who has no fever or any other symptoms) be flown out of Belize back to the U.S. I believe that the decision now is that the "patient" will remain on the ship in isolation until the ship returns to Galveston. BTW, to make the assumption that posters have made that the isolation is in her cabin, and not in the hospital/infirmary part of the ship, is probably about 112% incorrect.

So, would you be ok with going on a cruise next week? On the Magic? And being assigned the cabin used to quarantine the health care worker exposed to Ebola?

Not the original poster, but unless the worker actually has ebola and starts bleeding ****ting and puking all over it, I would have no hesitation about using the cabin after a cleaning.

Even it that case I'd have no issue staying in a different cabin on the same ship after a cleaning.

Edited by tonyrocks922

"A Carnival spokeswoman, however, said the ship made its scheduled visit to Belize Thursday. “Passengers were free to disembark there for the day other than the guest and her traveling companion who are in voluntary isolation.”

In its own statement Thursday, the the Belize government said it “was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola…. Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution, the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a U.S. request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Phillip Goldson International Airport.”

The Belize news said the passenger had shown signs of Ebola and was on a tender headed for shore to be evacuated by air ambulance to the U.S. for treatment, when the Belizean government refused admittance to the country. The passenger and husband were then supposedly held on the tender for an extended period of time as Carnival would not allow them to reembark the ship.

News stories...who can you Belize?

not sure if they are "live" or going off of just scheduled for screen shots. . but "sea scanner.com" is showing the ship docked?

****************************/schiffsposition.php?schiff=Carnival+Magic

Data according to itinerary:

Current position of M/S Carnival Magic: Cozumel/Mexico

Time since arrival 2 hrs 20 min from Belize/Belize (at 08:00 h local time)

Time until departure 5 hrs 40 min to Galveston (TX)/USA (at 16:00 h local time)

Traveled distance since Galveston (TX): 1,309.90 nm (2,425.93 km)

Vessel finder which is supposedly "real time" has Carnival Magic sitting a few miles off shore.

Carnival.jpg

Carnival's response... although it seems the last part of the statement is not true since the Magic has left Cozumel.

Late afternoon on Wednesday, October 15, we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. The CDC informed us that at no point in time has this individual had any direct contact with any infected patients nor has this guest exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection for 19 days since this guest was present in the lab with testing samples. We were not aware of this situation at the time this guest embarked the ship, and the CDC deemed this individual to be low risk and cleared to travel.

We continue to be in close contact with the CDC and our medical team continues to monitor the guest. The individual remains symptom free and is not contagious. The CDC has advised us the guests and crew on board are not at risk.

Due to a change in CDC monitoring procedures yesterday the CDC requested this guest be returned home from Belize. The U.S. government did make an attempt to arrange to fly the guest home from Belize yesterday, however, was unable to finalize arrangements with the Belize government. This resulted in our delay from departing from Belize last evening. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew.

It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and presently it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board until we return to Galveston on Sunday.

Our plan is to arrive in Cozumel this morning at 10:00 am and depart this afternoon at 6:00pm.

From another CCL thread:

FROM THE CRUISE DIRECTOR (just the facts)

John Heald

Just a quick update for you.

Late afternoon on Wednesday, October 15, we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. The CDC informed us that at no point in time has this individual had any direct contact with any infected patients nor has this guest exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection for 19 days since this guest was present in the lab with testing samples. We were not aware of this situation at the time this guest embarked the ship, and the CDC deemed this individual to be low risk and cleared to travel.

We continue to be in close contact with the CDC and our medical team continues to monitor the guest. The individual remains symptom free and is not contagious. The CDC has advised us the guests and crew on board are not at risk.

Due to a change in CDC monitoring procedures yesterday the CDC requested this guest be returned home from Belize. The U.S. government did make an attempt to arrange to fly the guest home from Belize yesterday, however, was unable to finalize arrangements with the Belize government. This resulted in our delay from departing from Belize last evening. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew.

It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and presently it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board until we return to Galveston on Sunday.

Our plan is to arrive in Cozumel this morning at 10:00 am and depart this afternoon at 6:00pm.

Cheers

Notice the implication in the highlighted section the she did not even handle the specimens.