Crown Grill & Sabatini's 1st evening

Pier Pressure 53

Has anyone dined at either the Crown Grill or Sabatini's the 1st evening of the cruise. Do you need reservations or is just showing up ok, and how long of a wait to be seated? If reservations are needed, how does one go about the reservations? I saw on one post something about calling a Dine Line, but how it was impossible to get thru the 1st day.

Thanks.

John

Has anyone dined at either the Crown Grill or Sabatini's the 1st evening of the cruise. Do you need reservations or is just showing up ok, and how long of a wait to be seated? If reservations are needed, how does one go about the reservations? I saw on one post something about calling a Dine Line, but how it was impossible to get thru the 1st day.

Thanks.

John

Just walk over to the restaurant and make your reservation. They like reservations instead of walk ins, but I think the first night you could be accommodated by just showing up.

Just walk over to the restaurant and make your reservation. They like reservations instead of walk ins, but I think the first night you could be accommodated by just showing up.

We have found both to be quite crowded on the first night since Suite guests get a complimentary meal in either of them the first night.

We were in a suite and called the DINE line as soon as we boarded and the only times left for the Crown Grill first night was 7:30 or 8:45. There was not an empty table in the place. Sabatini's had no reservation times available by the time we called so we ate there later in the week.

We have found both to be quite crowded on the first night since Suite guests get a complimentary meal in either of them the first night.

We were in a suite and called the DINE line as soon as we boarded and the only times left for the Crown Grill first night was 7:30 or 8:45. There was not an empty table in the place. Sabatini's had no reservation times available by the time we called so we ate there later in the week.

I believe the OP is on a four night cruise, so there won't be mobs of suite people getting free dinners. Unless they've changed again, four nighters don't get the freebie the first night.

The last couple of ships I've been on offered prime rib in both the main dining room and the buffet the first night so we saved our specialty dining for another night.

Was that the free suite specialty dining perk that is supposed to be available only the first evening?

I believe the OP is on a four night cruise, so there won't be mobs of suite people getting free dinners. Unless they've changed again, four nighters don't get the freebie the first night.

When did this change take place? Up until January 2014, we were given complimentary dinners on 3 day cruises out of LA. Will be in a suite in a few days for another three nighter. I do like the prime rib dinner on the first night too...but the Crown Grill's Spencer steak is fabulous.

But for that matter I can't imagine a 3 night cruise. In the USA it seems 3 and 4 night cruises are common, are they cruises to nowhere, or do they visit just 1 or 2 ports.

I know the only one's I've seen in Aus are either cruises to nowhere or repositioning cruises.

When did this change take place? Up until January 2014, we were given complimentary dinners on 3 day cruises out of LA. Will be in a suite in a few days for another three nighter.

For whatever reason, the shorter cruises out of the West coast gave this perk while the shorter cruises on the East coast did not. Princess web site says the East coast was correct.

Please post what this fall's practice is on the West coast after your cruise.

For whatever reason, the shorter cruises out of the West coast gave this perk while the shorter cruises on the East coast did not. Princess web site says the East coast was correct.

Please post what this fall's practice is on the West coast after your cruise.

Correct. You don't get the free dinner on the 5 night cruises either (East Coast). I wonder why the discrimination. :confused:

We just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Golden. Both restaurants were open on the 1st night. We were in a suite and did not get a free dinner. Neither were taking reservations at the door, instead we were told to dial the DINE line. We did eat at the Crown Grill the 1st night and it was not crowded, we ate at Sabatini's the 2nd night and again, not crowded. We were pleased with both dinners.

Has anyone dined at either the Crown Grill or Sabatini's the 1st evening of the cruise. Yes! We look forward to the first night Special Dinner at Sabatini's! ;) Do you need reservations or is just showing up ok, and how long of a wait to be seated? If reservations are needed, how does one go about the reservations? Simply stop by (quickest) or call the Dine Line (this sometimes takes a while)! I saw on one post something about calling a Dine Line, but how it was impossible to get thru the 1st day.

Thanks.

John

Try it you'll like it! :D You can even get hooked! :eek::p

Just RetiredNTraveling, Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

We tried to make 5:30 reservations at Sabatini's on the first night of our cruise, and were told they were booked for that time. Since we wanted to change our dining reservations from traditional to anytime, we met with the Maitre D' the first day, and he advised us to go to Sabatini's at 5:30, since they might be able to take us. End of story - a large party cancelled their reservation, and we were seated.

Moral of story - make reservations, but if you can't get the time you want, still stop by - they may have had a cancellation.

Correct. You don't get the free dinner on the 5 night cruises either (East Coast). I wonder why the discrimination. :confused:

We had a letter in our suite when we boarded that invited us to a complimentary dinner - total surprise since this was only a 5 day cruise. I think maybe they offered it to us because the ship was not full but not really sure. We had the best dinner ever!

Tammy:D

The last couple of ships I've been on offered prime rib in both the main dining room and the buffet the first night so we saved our specialty dining for another night.

You can almost always count on Prime Rib being offered in the MDR on the first night. ;)

LuLu

Thanks.

John

We've dined at the Crown Grill the first night of a cruise a few times, and have loved it each time. The restaurant is usually not full, and service is even better than excellent. We make reservations as soon as we get into our cabin, and haven't found it too difficult to get through to make them.

We just got off the 4 day Golden. We had a suite, but no specialty dinner offered the first night. We did get the dinner last year, and I'm pretty sure when we booked it was still there. I talked with them, but it was still a no. This was very disappointing as it was one reason we chose the suite.

First - After taking the summer off, it feels great to be back on CruiseCritic. Wile I do not (yet) have a cruise booked, the change in the weather has me looking again.

Second - for the past few cruises, we have made reservations in the Crown Grill. We wanted to give it a try and after reading some of the reviews on this site, we decided to go on the first night. It was a great suggestion. Instead of dealing with the mods of Anytime Diners all wanting to get seated at the same time, my DW and I spent a very quiet evening in the Grill. On one cruise, there was only one other couple. On another one, the place was just half full. True, we made our reservations for 7:30 on both cruises, but it seemed to be just the right time.

The food was great and the pace was all up to us. After a hectic day of hotels, taxis, muster drills, and unpacking, it was a great way to totally unwind and get our long awaited vacation going.

Yup, I am going to have start looking for our next trip. I have a couple of Future Cruise Credits burning a hole in my pocket!

The food was great and the pace was all up to us. After a hectic day of hotels, taxis, muster drills, and unpacking, it was a great way to totally unwind and get our long awaited vacation going.

Great reasoning, thanks! I think we will do the same on our upcoming cruise.