Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

I am absolutely amazed at the number of people following the Quantum from construction to the current TA. I never saw so much interest in a new ship. I thought I was the only one with OCD! The number of posts, pictures, and videos all over the web is overwhelming. I need to get some sleep before we board her on November 18th but I can't stop watching and reading!!!

I'm sure when it arrives here in Bayonne on the 10th, the local (and national) media coverage will be crazy!

Patti, having a real walk-off terminal will certainly make things easier, especially for those who do self carry.

Absolutely will make for a much easier debarkation process. That bus from ship to terminal left a lot to be desired and a lot of injured toes!!:D

We followed the building of the Oasis and the Allure....but the Oasis was the big one...we were getting weekly reports and videos from Captain Bill who brought the ship across...it was very exciting.

I also remember the daily videos from Captain Zini during Allure's first transatlantic crossing.

Not sure if the commenter was confused by the free drinks. I thought just under 2 years ago Royal Caribbean changed all transatlantics to Ocean Voyages and one of the new perks was automatic drink packages. I would assume that Quantum would get the same perk so I wonder if the commenter didn't realize they would get that.

No ... That is just a promotion that is sometimes run. I booked my April 2014 TA after that promotion had ended and did not have a free drink package for the crossing.

It's sad that RCCL is charging $50 for second rides on iFLY, that will be a major disappointment to many cruisers.:(:(:(

Is the flowrider still free? Anyone riding the flowrider?

Perhaps this has already been answered, but is there a fee for North Star?

Edited by dz9yvr

It's sad that RCCL is charging $50 for second rides on iFLY, that will be a major disappointment to many cruisers.:(:(:(

Is the first ride free ? $50 is over the top, this nickel & diming us has to stop.:eek::eek:

First - thanks to all aboard for doing this.

Second - if the rest of us virtual cruisers could limit the quoting and not copying and pasting entire posts and pictures, that would make this thread a lot more user friendly. Just a gentle suggestion.

Also, turn off signatures :D

Flowrider and Northstar are free. They were running on embarkation day (with people riding flowrider and rock climbing), but we have had rough weather since we left port, so none of them have been in operation. High winds, rain and white caps are keeping us all indoors. They have drained all of the pools because there were "rogue waves" washing out of them all over the decks. :) The captain said he thought we'd be in some calmer seas overnight, but I am swaying back and forth as I type so that has not occurred. It's still quite early, so maybe as the day goes on we'll see some better weather.

Yesterday was quite busy with indoor activities for the CC group, so I'm not sure how anyone else felt but I hardly noticed what we "couldn't" do because of the weather. This ship has a lot to offer. The hot tubs were kept filled so I finally got to rest my tired feet there for a bit. Kind of an adventure with the water sloshing. More like a wave pool than a hot tub, but even that was its own fun. Those of us trying to enjoy a soak just kept laughing about it.

The bumper cars were going last night after dinner and those were fun. All ages were involved and everyone was enjoying them. I had a hot dog at the food truck yesterday afternoon. It has the same menu as the Boardwalk Hot Dog I've seen on other ships.

Dinner at Chic was excellent. Sorry, but I am not one to take pictures of my food, so I'll leave that to others. We have not asked about the secondary "standard" menu. I'll try to remember to do that tonight at Silk.

There IS a Quantum book. It was in our cabin when we got back last night. I would guess you will also get that on the 11/23 inaugural, but I have no idea.

If the weather keeps up like it is, I might wind up with some quiet indoor time on my hands today. If that's the case, I'll upload some more photos to the Shutterfly site. That's a slow process currently so I have not uploaded as many as I was wanting.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Is the first ride free ? $50 is over the top, this nickel & diming us has to stop.:eek::eek:

Earlier today Joanna (jv_nyc) posted that the first booking for iFly is complimentary, for a one minute ride. Subsequent two minute sessions can be booked for $49.95. She also mentioned that it requires a reservation. And also that it was easy and she wants to do it again. :D

I've read that North Star is complimentary, but will also have 'premium packages' available, at a charge.

Anyone know how many and where the Freestyle Coke Machines are?

The Freestyle machines are updated, silver in color and built in rather than free-standing units.

I have not had time to do a full inventory of the number and location of the machines, but have noticed that there are 2 in Sorrento's on deck 4 and 'several' throughout the Windjammer area on deck 14.

With one station of WJ now open 24 hours a day, the added benefit is that all Freestyle machines have 24 hour access.

They are taking appointments for the iFly starting before 9 am. Or at least there was a line at the appointment desk at five of 9 yesterday. Had I not had a conflict with CC Flash Mob meet up, I could have joined the 9:35 am flight. They are taking 15 or so at each flight for a short education session and then to fly. They have lockers for your belongings while you fly, but the lockers have no locks. No slip on shoes or jewelry of any sort allowed.

I have not seen a sports bar to whomever was asking. They had some sort of screen in one of the bars yesterday. Not sure but think it was Boleros. Maybe ask in each of the bars until someone points to the one with games showing?

Our toothpaste was deemed a worthy sacrifice to the travel gods, evidently, because it poofed between the Holiday Inn and our room on the boat. Quite surprising considering how short a walk it was. Finally asked in the shop selling Quantum merchandise. They've got the few toiletries they sell hidden behind the cashier's desk. Bring a backup toothpaste if you can. It was $6 for a tube. Though at least it was a full sized tube. :o

Don't know how anyone else did on the check in. They were having wifi trouble and it took 3 people including the agent, a supervisor, and an IT girl to check us in. Or at least the IT person deemed it wifi issues keeping the system from bringing up our photos. The agent was very helpful and took our photos again, though.

RCL should put colored bike flags on the agents, and have them stand more to the back of the terminal. People were queuing up and blocking the entry doors I noticed when she had us step behind her for the photos. That way folks would know where to line up and not be in the way of others finding their queue.

It wasn't too bad for us, only 45 minutes from stepping out from the door of the HI to stepping into the ship, but we were early. I'm sure it got much longer for those after us, what with the blocked doorways.

Thanks to all involved in providing info on this thread. I know you have so many questions but if at all possible could someone advise on what is available for vegetarians in the restaurants?

None of the online menus show any dishes as being suitable for vegetarians but all of them say 'vegetarian options are available-ask your server'. Im wondering if there are separate menus or if in fact some of the dishes on the menus are suitable.

Thought a report on a cabin deserved a separate post!

The seas at times have been quite rough. Definitely feel less rolling down here verses up on 13, 14, 15, but we get to see the waves wash our window periodically.

The room itself is just brilliant. I have never cruised before, but my spouse cruised as a kid. I have seen the video and pictures. Our little room is about 1/3 larger than the inside they had then. We have no idea how it compares to what is out there now, but it is quite comfortable for us.

If anyone wants to know about storage:

We have a single wide closet with upper and lower rail verses I saw one double the width in I think a junior suite on the cabin crawl. We have another single wide closet tower on the other side of the bed with shelves, two low drawers, and a tiny full length closet space.

We have a dresser with two small and 3 large drawers, plus fridge.

Over both the bed and the sofa there are upper cabinets. Smart people with carry on cases probably find they store in these nicely, I think. We are not smart people. :o Our larger cases fit under the bed nicely.

I have been quite impressed with the small touches. Even in this tiny, relatively inexpensive cabin, we have all sorts of nice things. There are hooks in the shower for our bath brushes. Hooks on the bathroom wall for robes and towels. Hooks on one end of the towels for hooking on the wall or door hooks.

For those needing to charge electronics, we have 2 American and I believe 1 European outlet, plus 2 USB outlets at the desk. One end table has an American outlet, and there are outlets marked for shavers in the bath.

Regarding the sofa: On the firm side, but comfortable seating. The bed in it is decent and certainly would be sufficient for smaller people like kids.

Thanks to all involved in providing info on this thread. I know you have so many questions but if at all possible could someone advise on what is available for vegetarians in the restaurants?

None of the online menus show any dishes as being suitable for vegetarians but all of them say 'vegetarian options are available-ask your server'. Im wondering if there are separate menus or if in fact some of the dishes on the menus are suitable.

A friend that is with us is a veggie. Last night at Chic on the menu there was a vegetable cassoulet (sp?) that looked great and she said was quite good. At American Icon Grill she had a pasta dish that was vegetarian. It looks to me, so far, that just like the old style dining there is at least one veggie item on the regular menus.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

PeeWee,

I hope your family is feeling better this morning. My parents on currently on Adventure that left out of Southampton the same day you did. I finally got an email from Mom this morning- she says the internet is nonexistant because of the weather. She says they've been going through gale force winds and she's been seasick from the start, although she did say that "Quantum has it worse than us, as they are going straight through the weather" according to the crew. Of course, my Dad is loving all the rocking and rolling, but Mom just wants to stop feeling yucky. I hope you find calmer seas soon and your family can eventually enjoy their cruise.

Melissa

Unfortunately, crossing the northern North Atlantic into NJ in November was always likely to be rough. We have often sailed on TAs from the UK at this time of year, but heading south to the Canaries, then west to Florida. The first few days can be cool or choppy but once at Floridian latitudes it can be beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums