Fancy afternoon tea on Nieuw Amsterdam

jf606

There is a themed tea every afternoon ***** the Main Dining Room. No reservation is needed. The Indonesian High Tea is especially wonderful with all of the servers wearing their native "formal wear". Beautiful Indonesian tablechoths on all tables.

I would never put HAL's afternoon tea and "fancy" in the same sentence. It's a fend-for-yourself grab at a buffet affair from the start.
I've been to some buffet style, but on our recent Eurodam T-A every one we went to ... including the Indonesian ... was table-service style. In fact, in 16 cruises I only recall a handful that were buffet style. Edited by jtl513

I would never put HAL's afternoon tea and "fancy" in the same sentence. It's a fend-for-yourself grab at a buffet affair from the start.

My only experiences with high tea was on the Eurodam in 2008 and on the Golden Princess in 2002. If my memory is correct, on the Eurodam I went to what was called the Royal Dutch high tea which was a buffet which sounds like you experienced, and yes, it was just a line to a buffet and fend-for-yourself. I have not attended "regular" high tea or the Indonesian tea. On Princess, we were seated and waiters wearing white gloves would come to your table on offer all kinds of small tasty sandwiches (cucumber was a favorite), scones, and what not. And of course, a large selection of teas were presented and served. Very nice, if not "fancy" feeling.

All HAL ships have the afternoons teas -- 3 - 4 PM. There isn't any teas on embarkation days.

Nieuw Amsterdam last spring:

Western Caribbean:

HMC -- regular tea

Sea Day -- Indonesian tea

Grand Cayman -- Cupcake tea

Cozumel -- regular tea

Sea Day -- Royal Dutch tea

Key West -- regular tea

Eastern Caribbean:

Grand Turk -- Cupcake tea

San Juan -- regular tea

St Thomas -- regular tea

HMC -- regular tea

All HAL ships have the afternoons teas -- 3 - 4 PM. There isn't any teas on embarkation days.

Nieuw Amsterdam last spring:

Western Caribbean:

HMC -- regular tea

Grand Cayman -- Cupcake tea

Cozumel -- regular tea

Key West -- regular tea

Eastern Caribbean:

Grand Turk -- Cupcake tea

San Juan -- regular tea

St Thomas -- regular tea

HMC -- regular tea

It is as good as it sounds.

thanks for the list KK. On our Iceland cruise on the Eurodam the Dutch Tea (fend for yourself) was a little less warlike. The tea food was nicely arrayed and waiters were present to assist you with some of the slices or carry your food to the table for you.

The Indonesian tea was a little disappointing to me as I had hyped it up to my fellow travelers. They did present some of their native treats but the waiters were not dressed in full costume and I didn't hear any Indonesian music.

Regular teas consisted of trays presented by the waiters to each table. First were assorted sandwich type treats etc. then dessert types and of course, scones. Scones were not presented with actual clotted cream but that was of no concern to me.

The actual tea was presented in the lg. box with assorted bags. Then hot water was poured into your cup. I did see some people with a carafe of hot water on the table.

We did enjoy the cupcake tea also. So, one doesn't have to participate in the tea but we did enjoy each one. Those waiters sure work hard for the passengers!

I enjoy attending the teas on a HAL cruise.

I have only been to one that was a buffet, most are served by waiters.

Since my husband usually has something else to do, I often attend by myself, but sit with others, chat, eat, drink and have a lovely time.

Love the Indonesian tea!

The Royal Dutch Tea is the only one that I know of that is laid out in a buffet.

I had never experienced the melee until my recent Westerdam cruise. As one person put it, people were "hoovering up" food items like they hadn't eaten in the past 24 hours. There were no servers to put the food items onto your plate. Absolutely, no decorum. It was a complete serve yourself buffet, much worse than the Lido. I've never seen anything like it and hope I never see it again. If I go again, I'll bring my iPhone just to take a video!

We were on the NA last Jan and tea was served daily. You came in sat down and they brought the selection of tea, then sandwiches, and sweets. It is always in the upper dining room, not the buffet.

Edited by mjjden

We were on the NA last Jan and tea was served daily. You came in sat down and they brought the selection of tea, then sandwiches, and sweets. It is always in the upper dining room, not the buffet.
There have been 'buffet' teas served in the MDR, upper level. We've been to the Royal Dutch and Indonesian teas where the teas were brought around, but the 'treats' were set up buffet style on tables near the entrance. The usual, 'daily' teas, no. But the 'special' teas have been buffet style.

It's always in the MDR upstairs. We've gone three times, each time food is immediately at the at the entrance so the line gets so long. Then you sit down and they pour hot water then maybe within 5 minutes the tea box arrives. On our September trip it was pure chaos as the people behind the buffet didn't speak Dutch (90 percent of the ship was Dutch, essentially) and couldn't explain what anything was.

It very well is true they are not all buffet style, but I won't experience it again to see for myself. :)

There have been 'buffet' teas served in the MDR, upper level. We've been to the Royal Dutch and Indonesian teas where the teas were brought around, but the 'treats' were set up buffet style on tables near the entrance. The usual, 'daily' teas, no. But the 'special' teas have been buffet style.

We were going to do the Indonesian tea one time -- but everything was set up buffet style and it was a mob scene as people were pushing to get in and piling up the food like crazy. No one was there to help serve the people. By the time we got inside the dining room, food was all over the floor and buffet tables -- really a mess.

We left.

I've been to some buffet style, but on our recent Eurodam T-A every one we went to ... including the Indonesian ... was table-service style. In fact, in 16 cruises I only recall a handful that were buffet style.

I agree. I have been on 17 HAL cruises and the only occasion when it was "serve yourself" was the "Cupcake Afternoon Tea". Other than that, all the "teas" (tea sandwiches and pastries) were served by the stewards. The Indonesian Tea Service is not to be missed.

Back to my original question...From the responses, am I correct in assuming the high tea is free and no reservation is needed? Has anyone had the high tea or Indonesian high tea on the Nieuw Amsterdam? Thank you.

... am I correct in assuming the high tea ....

Please don't go to tea expecting it will be a high tea, or you will be sorely disappointed.

Afternoon tea is a low tea. You will be served small (cold) sandwiches, and pastries. But there won't be the substantial hot dishes that a high tea would have.

It is lovely, though. And there are some delicious treats.

Please don't go to tea expecting it will be a high tea, or you will be sorely disappointed.

Afternoon tea is a low tea. You will be served small (cold) sandwiches, and pastries. But there won't be the substantial hot dishes that a high tea would have.

It is lovely, though. And there are some delicious treats.

I fully agree, tea time on NA is lovely and one reason why I chose her for my next transatlantic cruise leaving in just a few days. I used to cruise mainly on Celebrity, but now, Nieuw Amsterdam has become my favourite.