Questions RE: Princess@Sea Messenger

doublet

It's my understanding the complimentary Princess@Sea Messenger service is available on one or more ships (with roll out soon scheduled for the REGAL). For those who have previously used Princess@Sea Messenger 'service' some insight re: the service is appreciated.

First and foremost - what are the benefits to use the service?

If internet minutes are not purchased for the cruise can I still make use of the service features?

If I use the service via an android smartphone is there an app that first needs to be downloaded to the phone, and can/should downloading be done in advance of boarding the ship? Will I need to turn on 'WIFI' on my phone in order to use Messenger?

Thanks In Advance for any comments and experiences.

It's my understanding the complimentary Princess@Sea Messenger service is available on one or more ships (with roll out soon scheduled for the REGAL). For those who have previously used Princess@Sea Messenger 'service' some insight re: the service is appreciated. Regal will be the first, so nobody has used it yet.

First and foremost - what are the benefits to use the service?

If internet minutes are not purchased for the cruise can I still make use of the service features? Yes

If I use the service via an android smartphone is there an app that first needs to be downloaded to the phone, and can/should downloading be done in advance of boarding the ship? Will I need to turn on 'WIFI' on my phone in order to use Messenger?

Thanks In Advance for any comments and experiences.

see above in red

This will tell you more details

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2014/09/Princess-Cruises-Introduces-Free-Mobile-App-Feature-on-Regal-Princess.html#.VEb8NsmwTKc

Edited by caribill

Princess@Sea Messenger will use the ship's Intranet, just like the current system on the Royal, Regal and coming to other ships that allow you to check your folio, check dining times and places, entertainment, etc. However, I understand Messenger will require that you download an app. You will need to have WiFi enabled. It doesn't use the Internet and thus you don't have to purchase an Internet package.

The benefit is that you'll be able to text or message other passengers on the ship.

I've checked the Apple store several times since the Princess News story came out about the app but it still isn't available. My guess is it won't be until early November, before she starts her US sailings...but just a guess :confused:

We'll be on-board in December and I hope maybe DH will break down and get a smartphone before we sail :p

Has Princess released further info regarding the time table for implementing this on other ships? I would guess it will be implemented simultaneously with the intranet. I'm more interested in the other features of that such as checking your folio, online Patters, etc.

Edit: Hmmmm... Just looked for this in the Google Play Store and don't find it. Also Googled for download of the app and got no result as far as a link for the actual app download. Princess says it's available for download in advance but I'm not seeing it. I did check the android app store on Amazon as well. What's up with that?

Edited by Thrak

We used it on the Crown Princess last week and it worked great! You do need wifi enabled but there is no charge to use the service. The best thing is you can view your stateroom account. There is a listing of the events going on around the ship...basically the patter listing online. There is lots of other general information. One thing I wish they would add is the menu in the dining room for the day.

We used it on an Ipad and a Ipad mini and it worked fine on both. You do set up a user name and password to access it. There was no app to download they provided the link to log into to access it.

Employees of the company doing the installation to support this were onboard finishing up and they said they were headed to Florida next but didn't say which ship they would work on next.

Edited by hobo1937

It's not set for texting each other. It's just used for checking your account. Making a booking and seeing what is going on for the day. It's uses wifi but does not use your internet minutes. I used it for 31 days on the royal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used it on the Crown Princess last week and it worked great! You do need wifi enabled but there is no charge to use the service. The best thing is you can view your stateroom account. There is a listing of the events going on around the ship...basically the patter listing online. There is lots of other general information. One thing I wish they would add is the menu in the dining room for the day.

We used it on an Ipad and a Ipad mini and it worked fine on both. You do set up a user name and password to access it. There was no app to download they provided the link to log into to access it.

Employees of the company doing the installation to support this were onboard finishing up and they said they were headed to Florida next but didn't say which ship they would work on next.

[quote = see above in red

"...no one has used it yet????

Well, some one has to be incorrect.

Edited by redtogo

No, you didn't use Princess@Sea Messenger. What you used was the same system that has been on the Royal for a year and a half and the Regal Princess, which is not "Messenger." While both use the ship's Intranet, these are two different options although when IT systems are upgraded and Messenger is implemented, they'll both be available on Princess ships.

[quote = see above in red

"...no one has used it yet????

Well, some one has to be incorrect.

Both are correct.

What hobo1937 posted using the intranet worked.

But hobo1937 did not use the messenger feature as it does not exist yet.

However, I understand Messenger will require that you download an app.

Princess has said that there will be an Android, IOS and Browser client.

There were some notification restrictions when using the browser client,

but you don't have to download an app.

• 2 weeks later...
01-November: Nothing on the google play store

You dont download and app for this. Once you are on board you will go to safari or whatever client you are using put in the web address they give you and you are there. I saved mine to my home screen while on the Royal. They did not however have any texting options at that time which was May/June this year.

They are two different services posters are referring to in this thread:

Princess@sea and Princess@sea Messenger

Princess@sea lets you access your onboard account and the Patter from your smartphone or tablet. You are supposed to be able to also view dining room menus, but that feature is currently not yet available. The ships that have this currently are the Crown, Golden, Regal, and Royal (there may be some others too). You do not need to download an app for this feature.

Princess@sea Messenger allows you to text message, but this feature is not yet available on any ship. The first ship to get it will be the Regal this month. The other ships will follow suit throughout 2015. You do need to download an app for this feature. The apps will be available some time soon from the Apple and Android store.

According to an email sent out by Princess in September, the Princess@sea Messenger app is supposed to be available for downloading starting November 1. I just checked the Apple and Android stores and do not see it yet.

To answer the OPs other questions. Both Princess@sea and Princess@sea Messenger are free and do not use your internet minutes. You are supposed to download the Messenger app prior to sailing. If you do not download the app prior to sailing, there is "limited" functionality of texting still available to you for free without the app. Limited is defined as the notification area is not visible but you can still text. You can also download the app onboard but you would have to buy an internet package to do so or use your free internet minutes if you are platinum or elite.

If anyone sees the app is available, please post.

Edited by Princess Patches

According to an email sent out by Princess in September, the Princess@sea Messenger app is supposed to be available for downloading starting November 1. I just checked the Apple and Android stores and do not see it yet.

To answer the OPs other questions. Both Princess@sea and Princess@sea Messenger are free and do not use your internet minutes. You are supposed to download the Messenger app prior to sailing. If you do not download the app prior to sailing, there is "limited" functionality of texting still available to you for free without the app. Limited is defined as the notification area is not visible but you can still text. You can also download the app onboard but you would have to buy an internet package to do so or use your free internet minutes if you are platinum or elite.

If anyone sees the app is available, please post.

Just recently completed a 10 day on the Royal. We made good use of the Princess@Sea service. Would have liked the dining menu feature but it remains unavailable. As others have explained the service is free - not requiring internet minutes. Simply turn on 'WIFI' and remember to put device in 'AIRPLANE' mode. Looking forward to when the "Messenger" feature becomes available for our next cruise with Princess. Good to know about the need to download app in advance of embarkation.