Just wondering - are C&A Upgrades a thing of the past???

Per C&A member benefits:

"We may, in our sole discretion, offer complimentary upgrades to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members if stateroom upgrades are available. "

We have been watching recent sailings of Allure and have noticed that suites have been available days before sailing. For example - the next sailing on 10/26 shows at least 12 suites available (2 JS, 6 GS, 2FS, 1 L1 AND 1 L2) and many available on the following sailing.

Per C&A member benefits:

"We may, in our sole discretion, offer complimentary upgrades to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members if stateroom upgrades are available. "

We have been watching recent sailings of Allure and have noticed that suites have been available days before sailing. For example - the next sailing on 10/26 shows at least 12 suites available (2 JS, 6 GS, 2FS, 1 L1 AND 1 L2) and many available on the following sailing.

They are a thing of the past for us. I've booked a few interior rooms for just myself on weekend cruises and one week out there has been plenty of availability. AND I've been top cruiser once in a while. Still, no upgrade even to an ocean view.

Apparently, from some of the recent upgrade threads, their new strategy is to email random customers and offer them upgrades for a fee. As long as that approach is working, I doubt there will be many (if any) comps offered.:(

Apparently, from some of the recent upgrade threads, their new strategy is to email random customers and offer them upgrades for a fee. As long as that approach is working, I doubt there will be many (if any) comps offered.:(

That's what the competitor does and it seems to work just fine.

I've got a feeling the main upgrade opportunities right now come from:

-Upgrading for a fee at the higher categories

-Getting bumped thanks to a new guarantee booking in your full category

I'm pretty sure the latter is what happened to us this summer.

I have been given two complimentary upgrades.

1) Enchantment of the Seas in May. From a Panoramic Oceanview to an E1 Balcony. I was happy with the upgrade.

2) Brilliance of the Seas, 3 weeks ago. From Category G OV to E3 Balcony. I was not happy. I am thinking it was offered as a complimentary upgrade because it was an awful room. We were directly above the Schooner Bar where the musicians play. We heard it all night long, as did our toddler who then cried all night long. Took them 4 days to move us to a room that was open.

I'd say about 80% of the upgrades are now an email offer with a small fee attached. While the small fee is certainly a better deal then booking the higher cabin on your own, it seems to be overtaking the complimentary offers.

Are these offers made only to people who book directly with RCI or are upgrade offers also made to people with TAs? Does anyone know? Thanks.

The dart board technique that they use for selecting those that are offered upgrades doesn't care who you have booked with.:D

Earlier this week I paid and upgraded my accommodations for a cruise leaving this Sunday. I joked with the C&A operator and said that I had not seen many upgrades in the past year or two. She then says, "well, revenue does the upgrading now. " I guess C&A upgrades due to status are a thing of the past.

m

Earlier this week I paid and upgraded my accommodations for a cruise leaving this Sunday. I joked with the C&A operator and said that I had not seen many upgrades in the past year or two. She then says, "well, revenue does the upgrading now. " I guess C&A upgrades due to status are a thing of the past.

m

That figures then. Anything for more revenue by revenue. Have never been upgraded before so unlikely to be upgraded in the future it appears unless willing to pay for it. We always book a balcony so it would have to be a "suite deal" at very little cost for me to do so.

I have been given two complimentary upgrades.

1) Enchantment of the Seas in May. From a Panoramic Oceanview to an E1 Balcony. I was happy with the upgrade.

2) Brilliance of the Seas, 3 weeks ago. From Category G OV to E3 Balcony. I was not happy. I am thinking it was offered as a complimentary upgrade because it was an awful room. We were directly above the Schooner Bar where the musicians play. We heard it all night long, as did our toddler who then cried all night long. Took them 4 days to move us to a room that was open.

I'd say about 80% of the upgrades are now an email offer with a small fee attached. While the small fee is certainly a better deal then booking the higher cabin on your own, it seems to be overtaking the complimentary offers.

Had you checked "automatic upgrade" in the profile. Checking "automatic upgrade" is sort of like booking a guarantee if you do score an upgrade . If the location is important - then the "automatic upgrade" selection is not a good idea.

You seem to have amazing luck in getting two complementary upgrades since May. Many never see a complimentary upgrade or get one every few years. May I ask if you are pinnacle , or close, with RCCL?

Good luck for future upgrades. Hope they are nice cabins with better locations.

M

Had you checked "automatic upgrade" in the profile. Checking "automatic upgrade" is sort of like booking a guarantee if you do score an upgrade . If the location is important - then the "automatic upgrade" selection is not a good idea.

You seem to have amazing luck in getting two complementary upgrades since May. Many never see a complimentary upgrade or get one every few years. May I ask if you are pinnacle , or close, with RCCL?

Good luck for future upgrades. Hope they are nice cabins with better locations.

M

I'm nowhere close to Pinnacle! I am currently Emerald, 2 points from Diamond.

On the Enchantment I think I was booked in a "desirable" cabin- Panoramic Oceanview. I had my settings set for auto upgrade. I logged in to my account and saw the room number had changed. That one was being in the right place/cabin at the right time. They figured they could sell it for more and moved me in to an open balcony.

On Brilliance we had an issue a few days leading up to getting the upgrade. They "accidentally" deleted my Crown & Anchor account. Two days after that problem I received a call asking if I wanted a complimentary upgrade to a balcony room. I checked the location and didnt see anything on top of us, so I figured we'd be fine! I now know to check above and below. We've stayed in Promenade cabins on the Liberty twice and never had a noise problem. I think this one was a "we're sorry" upgrade for them messing up my C&A account.

I'm nowhere close to Pinnacle! I am currently Emerald, 2 points from Diamond.

On the Enchantment I think I was booked in a "desirable" cabin- Panoramic Oceanview. I had my settings set for auto upgrade. I logged in to my account and saw the room number had changed. That one was being in the right place/cabin at the right time. They figured they could sell it for more and moved me in to an open balcony.

On Brilliance we had an issue a few days leading up to getting the upgrade. They "accidentally" deleted my Crown & Anchor account. Two days after that problem I received a call asking if I wanted a complimentary upgrade to a balcony room. I checked the location and didnt see anything on top of us, so I figured we'd be fine! I now know to check above and below. We've stayed in Promenade cabins on the Liberty twice and never had a noise problem. I think this one was a "we're sorry" upgrade for them messing up my C&A account.

Well - you certainly are lucky. Go out and buy a lottery ticket! As for the Panoramic cabin - we had one on Enchantment deck 8 , and it was SO LOUD from the deck above we thought the ceiling was crashing in. We were woken up a few times. On that same cruise we were the second highest cruiser ( we only know that because they called our name and the welcome back party) and not an upgrade in sight!

good luck for the future.

M

My dad (Emerald) and uncle (D+) each received a complimentary upgrade from Oceanview to balcony last week on the Legend.

I got my "upgrade" the old fashioned way .........I paid for it. :) Happy for those who get upgrades, but it does seem that RCCL is doing everything they can to T off their most loyal customers .

I am just happy I was actually allowed to pay and upgrade and not be held back with the "the price is only for new bookings" line.

M

I received an upgrade at the pier from a JS to a GS for my 10-10-14 sailing on the Majesty. Met another couple in the hall who'd had the same nice surprise. It was their first. It was my third (plus another revenue upgrade that was a really good deal). I think one factor that has attributed to my good luck is that none of these cruises were "prime time" - they were all in the spring or fall.

m

We were upgraded from a JS to a GS on our recent Serenade cruise. I had called two weeks out to beg for it, having seen 6 open GS the day before, and the rep said, "well, you must have read somebody's mind because Revenue upgraded you this morning." Revenue may have made the call, but I'm pretty sure it was based on our Pinnacle status. It was our second in 3 years, both on anniversary cruises, so it enhanced the celebration.:D

I was given an upgrade (D-1 to JS) on Enchantment in May with no notification from RCCL at all.

We dropped our bags (tagged to the old room) and while doing check-in with the agent, discovered that we had been moved. The agent looked and we had been upgraded two days prior.

:eek:

On a recent cruise we at dinner with a couple who were upgraded from a jr suite to the owners suites at no charge. It was only their 4th RC cruise.

I have been on RC 15 times and have never had an upgrade. Yes, I have upgrade checked on my profile. Good for them but really I would rather not have known.

On a recent cruise we at dinner with a couple who were upgraded from a jr suite to the owners suites at no charge. It was only their 4th RC cruise.

I have been on RC 15 times and have never had an upgrade. Yes, I have upgrade checked on my profile. Good for them but really I would rather not have known.

Agree!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app