I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

reallyitsmema : Hi can u please let me know the Verizon travel app and where to find it for the dialing instructions etc. We are cruising in a month and really could use it! I too have Verizon!! Thanks Diana

If you save all your North American contacts in the following format, you can dial them from anywhere

+1 3 digit area code 7 digit phone number. The +1 at the beginning tells the cell tower it is a north American Number.

]. Also, there were many things ON the ship that didn't make a great impression. I won't go into an Allure review, but it wasn't what I expected, i.e., I expected a lot more.

:eek: Uh OH!!! You just insulted THEIR ship !! The ALLURE !! You think the CC and RC crazies on here were swinging and being nasty before, Klfhngr?!

Look out now, brotha !! They're gonna demand answers and pick you apart like a plate of wings on Superbowl Sunday!! ;)

Edited by F27TW

:eek: Uh OH!!! You just insulted THEIR ship !! The ALLURE !! You think the CC and RC crazies on here were swinging and being nasty before, Klfhngr?!

Look out now, brotha !! They're gonna demand answers and pick you apart like a plate of wings on Superbowl Sunday!! ;)

So funny! We have done 13 RC cruises and 1 of those was on Oasis , which we loved ,and will sail again on her in Jan. I won't demand any answers. Everyone has their own opinion. After reading this I am reconsidering booking excursions outside the ship.

Let me add my sincere thanks for your story and I appreciated the "way" you told it! It really made me think seriously about things I never thought could happen to me. I assume the "flamers" were deleted since I didn't read any of them today, and I am thankful for that. Too, too much of that on CC lately. :( Glad you are home safe, sound and surrounded by your family!

Thanks for sharing your story! I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm glad it worked out but, Yes, your entire family should be getting some free dental care for a while now! LOL!

One flamer said that he would NEVER be late for the ship. IMO, the absolute only way to ensure that is to never...ever leave the ship. I'm thinking ports of call are highly overrated after reading this! Maybe I'll just enjoy the pool bar from now on! :cool:

Thanks again!

cheers-2381.gif

Edited by HandE

Thanks so much for sharing your story, klfhngr.

Not sure the tone of many of those on this thread are what the originator of this website originally hoped for. So sorry to see what's becoming of this site - but so thankful for you persevering to help so many that silently appreciate your willingness to share your unfortunate experience to our benefit.

Sounds like you're a pretty great guy with an awesome community of friends and family.

John

reallyitsmema : Hi can u please let me know the Verizon travel app and where to find it for the dialing instructions etc. We are cruising in a month and really could use it! I too have Verizon!! Thanks Diana

You need the interactive trip planner. Here is the direct link.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Here is the link to the page with the above link just in case you need to look other stuff up too.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global.html?intcmp=INT-VZW-VNT-GLOBAL

Edited by reallyitsmema

Why would they go and check the safe if the family was standing right there?

I'm not sure what the context of your question is but maybe if they found an active passport, the crew would have given it to the port authority before they sailed. If I was the crew, I wouldn't have taken the wife's word for it... not that she would lie but she could be mistaken.

So sorry this happened to you, but thanks for sharing your story!

I felt unsafe in Nassau during the day, so I can't imagine being there at night especially after being already shaken up after missing the ship. Glad you are alright and you ended up making it back to the Allure and your family safely.

Again, thanks for the whole story.

Like I've posted before, it's not that hard to imagine your fears. So more thanks for being so honest about those. Based in reality or not, it does not matter- I can seem myself panic and be afraid, too.

One other thing I'd have to think about- TA- we don't used one.

None the less, I hope I never have to face that situation, but at least the WHOLE story tells me that it can be made through.

Good stuff.

My apologies....

Our natural instinct is to hit redial, or to call back the number that was missed. But, if saved that number without the 1 in front of the area code, then you're screwed. You have to free dial the number with the 1 and code. it's little things like this that you don't think about when your panicking. I was told that on some of the other islands, it works differently. This is why, on future cruises, I will know EXACTLY what to dial :)

Again, I apologize.

Yep, I understand completely. We were panicked over a credit card issue in Cozumel. Couldn't get the phone to work right. It was because we didn't know to dial the country code. It's stuff like that that you don't think about before hand. Hopefully, your experience will help others avoid the same problems.

Hi Klfhngr, we were on the ship with you, looking forward to meeting you at the M & M.

I am so sorry to read what happened to you. What a horror.

You have given us a lot of info which might come in handy someday,

and things to think about before problems arise.

To the flamers, what the hell are you thinking. Hope no one else ever has to go through this ordeal.

I am glad you are fine, and back home with your family.

One last thing, could your dentist friend fix his own teeth after I would have punched them out. LOL

Take care.

Mark

I really appreciate you telling your story. I can't imagine how afraid I would be to be alone in Nassau and watch my ship sail away. Your story brought to light several important things to keep in mind when getting off the ship...such as having passport (or copy at least), cell phone and charger, port authority info from the cruise lines daily paper, cash, etc. I'm glad you caught up with your family eventually. Thanks for telling your story in an effort to potentially help someone else out in the future. We were on the Norwegian Spirit in 2007 and the ship was just pulling away from the pier when a group of about 6-8 people came running and waving. We watched from our balcony. The ship pulled back in, tied up, put out the gangway, and let these people on. This was in Nassau also. I was surprised they did that as it took about 30-45 minutes to do all that for these people but was glad they got there in time for it to be an option for them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Klfhngr, thanks again for posting your story. I'm happy everything worked out for you but at the same time its unfortunate this happened. Not the stress you were looking for while on vacation. You'll now have a story to tell for years to come.

The information you have given will hopefully help a lot of people so they don't have to go through what you went through.

Thank you. I have always carried my passport and credit cards in the ports. Now I know I am making the right decision. I have always felt you never know what can happen. We also keep photo copies in the safe and pictures on my phone. I carry the passport in an RFD protector case. Plus my bag is a slashproof pacsafe bag. Living in NYC as a child I was taught to always be aware of those around me and walk with a purpose.

I don't obsess about much in life but this I do.

I am glad it all turned out well.