Maybe confusing question about Upgrades

pepsicruiser

I was given a free upgrade from 2D to 2C when I booked. Now I am wondering if in the future (and if all fees are the same) if I pay to upgrade to a C3 do I pay the difference between the 2D or the 2C. Hope this makes sense. ty

It does not make a difference because if you upgrade in the future you'll have to pay the current asking price of the cabin you want to upgrade to less the cash you've already paid to date on the booking. This could work out better or worse then just the difference between the future prices of the two cabins.

For example let's say the current price of the 2D is $1,500 and the 2C is $1,600 and the C3 is $2,500. Your booking is for $1,500. Let's say it is after final payment so you've paid in $1,500. The C3's go on sale so the current price of a C3 is $2,000 but the 2d and 2c have risen so the 2D is $1,900 and the 2C is $1,950. Some would hope they could upgrade for $50 or $100 but that would not be the case. Instead the upgrade price will be the $2,000 then current price of the C3 less the $1,500 actually paid in for a difference of $500. In addition you'd generally get only the then current promotions offered on the C3 at $2,000 so if that did not include any promotions but your initial booking did then you might lose any promotions you had (such as OBC or beverage package) if you upgrade.

Edited by Lsimon

I was given a free upgrade from 2D to 2C when I booked. Now I am wondering if in the future (and if all fees are the same) if I pay to upgrade to a C3 do I pay the difference between the 2D or the 2C. Hope this makes sense. ty

Hi PEPSICRUISER,

Item # 1

Your Free Upgrade at Booking was probably due to your Captain's Club Membership... A perk everyone is entitled to, but generally has to ask for (same thing for the 50% Deposit allowance)

It is available to Celebrity Cruisers who are repeat Customers (and those who cruise Azamara or RCCL and have Captain's Club Privledges)

From the Captain's Club Terms & Conditions:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

[/Quote]

Item # 2

When looking to Upgrade on one's own, you pay the Current Celebrity Rate, against what you have already paid to Celebrity (categories don't matter here)

Ie. Your Cruise Total on your Invoice with Fees & Taxes is $ 1200 per person, you want to self upgrade to a cabin where the Current Price is $ 1500 per person, then you owe Celebrity $ 600 ($ 300 x 2) to get that cabin.

But as LSIMON said in his reply, be sure you know all the terms & conditions of the current offer you are buying into... Cause your perks may not be transportable under the new offer.

Losing out on say a previously advertised 123Go or PYP Promo you booked under could mean the upgrade costs you a lot more in the long run than just the advertised cabin rate !!

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The "upgrade" is a bit of a misnomer. Think of it as a "down price". You booked a 2C and paid the 2D price.

So from here on, just look at the price you paid and the price of the new cabin and figure the difference. That's all that matters.

It is available to Celebrity Cruisers who are repeat Customers (and those who cruise Azamara or RCCL and have Captain's Club Privledges)

We have been taking advantage of this perk for many of our cruises. :)

It just occurred to me that if we decided to upgrade to another category, we could also get the new category for a lesser rate...or could we?

Example: We are booked into a 1A for the price of a 1B (saved about $40pp).

If we upgrade to an AQ1, couldn't we get the AQ2 rate and save a few $?

It just occurred to me that if we decided to upgrade to another category, we could also get the new category for a lesser rate...or could we?

If you pay for the price of an AQ2 then you should be able to get an AQ1 for that price unless it is some special pricing for the AQ2 that does not apply via the "small print".

Definitely.

Recently did it for an Aqua A1 and paid the Aqua A2 Rate.

As per Celebrity's Website the Terms & Conditions which I quoted above, and here again...

The subCategory upgrade just does not apply to just a few subcategories (and Suites) and sometimes on select sailings (so read the fine print / talk to a Celebrity Booking Agent)

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1.

Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking. [/Quote]

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Can someone explain how this applies to price drops? Let's say, an A2 cabin is at $1,500 and an A1 is at $1,600. I book the A2 at $1,500pp then get the CC upgrade to A1. This means I paid $1,500 for the A1 cabin. If prior to final payment the A2 price falls to $1,400, but the posted A1 rate of $1,600 stayed the same, can I ask for the adjusted A2 rate and keep my A1 cabin?

A couple of years ago I was advised to follow the category I originally booked. However, I was told last I asked the upgrade is once on original booking.

I would be interested to Know what is current status or if as usual, some days it is one way, and somedays it is another.

Can someone explain how this applies to price drops? Let's say, an A2 cabin is at $1,500 and an A1 is at $1,600. I book the A2 at $1,500pp then get the CC upgrade to A1. This means I paid $1,500 for the A1 cabin. If prior to final payment the A2 price falls to $1,400, but the posted A1 rate of $1,600 stayed the same, can I ask for the adjusted A2 rate and keep my A1 cabin?

Has anyone had a recent rate adjustment for a cabin they booked with the 1 category upgrade? Was the rate adjusted or was this treated like a brand new booking?

If you pay for the price of an AQ2 then you should be able to get an AQ1 for that price unless it is some special pricing for the AQ2 that does not apply via the "small print".

Yay!

This is very good question. Once I asked and was told no I was already given the upgrade in the initial booking. That was two years ago and things may have changed.

Hmmmm :(

Sloop-JohnB - Did you have a lower category booked before you booked your A1? That was my question. We have already received the CC perk for our 1A (paid 1B rate.) The question was if we could get the AQ1 rate for the AQ2 rate if we decide to upgrade?

kathynorth - That's a great question that I cannot answer. However, usually the AQ1 and AQ2 prices remain relative close in price, so I doubt there would be such a spread in pricing. I know it would be a "no" answer AFTER final payment.

Has anyone had a recent rate adjustment for a cabin they booked with the 1 category upgrade? Was the rate adjusted or was this treated like a brand new booking?

Yes, we've had two price drops on our next cruise. Paid for 2Cs and booked in 2Bs - price drops were on the 2C rate ;).

Yay!

Hmmmm :(

Sloop-JohnB - Did you have a lower category booked before you booked your A1? That was my question. We have already received the CC perk for our 1A (paid 1B rate.) The question was if we could get the AQ1 rate for the AQ2 rate if we decide to upgrade?

Yes, I would love to know the answer to this one. Basically you're asking: can you claim the free 1 category CC upgrade if you decide to upgrade from your current cabin, both before or after final payment?

Wonder if X would state that it would depend if new pricing is classed as a 'deal - new bookings only' or not :confused:?

Interested to hear if anyone has been successful?