Inside vs. Oceanview

gonzjj

Only you know your family, how the dynamics of a tight cabin will work, and what you can afford.

Some random thoughts:

Someone mentioned getting an inside with Promenade view - wrong class of ship.

A problem with Grandeur is that as an older ship, there aren't that many balconies, so they are usually priced at a premium.

We have done both OV, and the large inside categories on Grandeur, and never noticed much difference in size. My recommendation would be to get an inside or OV on deck 4, near the Centrum. Despite what others will say, Centrum noise is not a problem when in the cabin. Use the cabin for dressing and sleeping only, and make the Centrum your family center of activity. For example, if the kids are the right age, they can be in bed while you enjoy the band in the Centrum and can check on them often.

I don't agree with not going, as opposed to 4 in an inside. I'd do 4 in a lifeboat rather than not go!

Have had them all; it just depends what you like. Interior cabins feel the least amount of motion (especially if low in ship). You can lose track of time in the morning, but the flip side is you sleep great (totally dark). My wife loves inside rooms. She'd book an inside every time.

I personally like Oceanview the best. We don't spend a lot of time in the room at all, but I just like having that view. We had a balcony (it was a $30 upgrade from an interior on a price drop) and it was nice, but I would not have spent 2X for that room over an inside. Didn't get enough use out of balcony.

When is your cruise? If it's during cold weather a balcony may be useless 2 or 3 days of your cruise.

Like others said, price out two rooms, you may see it is the same exact price.

The most important thing you can do, regardless of TYPE of room, is look at deck plans and see what is above and below you. Best is to have other cabins above and below. You don't want to be under a kitchen, a night club or lounge, etc.

Edited by LMaxwell

if you're going to do a 10 day cruise, then pay the extra and get a balcony, otherwise do a 7 day and get a balcony...You're already paying the price for a 10 day, why suffer cause you want to save a few hundred...

I just picked a random 10 night Eastern on Grandeur

Insides Range : 689 - 828 per person

Outside Range: 846 - 948 per person

Balcony: 2080 - 2145 per person

Random 10 night Western on Grandeur

Insides Range: : 918 - 1068 per person

Outside Range: 1128 - 1174 per person

Balcony: 1994 - 2006 per person

Hardly a few hundred. You're talking thousands of dollars more for a family of 4. No way would I pay that. It's not "thousands of dollars better" IMO.

Hubby and I have done inside more than once. We don't mind it. We did get the OV on the two we took the kids on. The natural light and view of the ocean was a better situation for the kids. Honestly, though, if you don't, I think you'll be fine. You won't be in the cabin that much, will you? We've been happy in whatever cabin we've been in.

It seems to me that the people that crab about how they'd rather not sail than be in an inside probably have more money than I do (and are perhaps a bit spoiled, honestly). Rather not sail? Really? I'm just happy to be cruising. We did our first balcony in June. I'm going to admit that we loved it, but we only did it because it was only $50 more pp than the inside, because the Allure has mostly balcony cabins.

Do what you're comfortable with. If you can afford a slightly larger room with a view, go for it. But I wouldn't worry about how terrible it might be if you don't. Having a great time does not depend on it. It depends on you.

Thanks, appreciated that!

We are trying to see what the extra expense will be a keep watching prices.

We are going on the Grandeur of the Seas for a 10 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. Currently we are booked in an inside cabin. What are your thoughts about upgrading to an oceanview or even balcony? We will have 2 children with us.

Thanks for any advice!

Only you can decide that.

Wow it is that tight?

Wow they must have a big closet! I'm sorry I can't understand a person would rather not go on a vacation than have an inside room!?

Everyone has their own comfort level I guess. It may have helped us that from the time our kids were little we've tented and eventually moved up to a 29ft camper that we've had 9 people sleeping in at one time. We go on trips to do and see stuff not sit in a tent, camper, hotel or ship cabin! I personally rather be in a small room and save money to put towards my next vacation! :)

We just did a European cruise and for 5 people in 2 inside cabins with the 3rd guest free for $4145 not counting insurance and flights. I think that's a very good deal! If we would have got a more expensive room it would have been a waste to me we literally was in our room to change clothes, shower and fall into bed exhausted! The money I saved will go towards our next trip.

Do not find oceanviews to be worth spending any extra money on.

We started out booking balconies but after ten or so cruises did OV and then inside. Love interior rooms for how dark they get, great sleep. Still enjoy the occasional balcony but the price difference has to be within our determined price per night. Actually don't have one booked again until 2016.

Sent from my iPhone

We've done inside, OV and balcony. Obviously we prefer balcony but I'd do an inside rather than stay home. Our TA actually called us once and said that on our particular sailing, getting two inside cabins would actually be cheaper by a few bucks. They were connecting and it was great. Keep checking the price but I'll take a cruise any day in any cabin over staying home.

I just picked a random 10 night Eastern on Grandeur

Insides Range : 689 - 828 per person

Outside Range: 846 - 948 per person

Balcony: 2080 - 2145 per person

Random 10 night Western on Grandeur

Insides Range: : 918 - 1068 per person

Outside Range: 1128 - 1174 per person

Balcony: 1994 - 2006 per person

Hardly a few hundred. You're talking thousands of dollars more for a family of 4. No way would I pay that. It's not "thousands of dollars better" IMO.

Yes, the problem with Grandeur is that it is an old ship without many balcony cabins so of course they will be at a premium price. The ships with tons of balcony cabins will not have that vast difference in price.

If the choice is between an OV and an Inside, I will pick an inside every time. The sleep is so wonderful!

We have sailed with 4 in an inside before. It's not that bad. You won't have a lot of space, but even with a balcony, the room itself will be crowded. I'm not sure the age of your kids, but I don't think an OV will really be any "better" than an inside.

The suggestion to look at location is a great one. Near the centrum could be a great spot.

We did a one week inside cabin with my 12 and 8 year old kids two summers ago, it was totally fine.

This winter we are doing a b2b and I suggested we do a balcony, the kids didn't WANT to. Said that the room we had last time was part of the fun.

I like inside, Im not stuffy like that.

We have had all three "cheap" rooms, inside, outside and balcony.. never done a suite or anything.

The kids enjoyed being all together. We weren't in there except to get dressed and sleep.

We were on Freedom, if that matter at all

We loved an inside, and for those who say they would rather not cruise if they had to do an inside thats your opinion.... but for this family of 4 being together and sailing the world is more important then having a balcony or being apart at nights.

I prefer ocean view. I did inside on my first two cruises and I felt claustrophobic and kind of ill (not seasick ill, but just "off"). So you definitely want to consider how you might "feel" being in an inside cabin without a window out. There are plenty of valid reasons to avoid the inside. You just have the think about whether some of those things mentioned will affect you or your family members. Good luck!

We don't really care much for oceanview- we usually get an inside or a balcony , depending on cost and number of ports. If we have a lot of ports - usually choose inside because we won't be in the cabin much. If we have a a lot of sea days, then I prefer to get a balcony. DH would rather have inside all the time so he can sleep better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems to me that the people that crab about how they'd rather not sail than be in an inside probably have more money than I do (and are perhaps a bit spoiled, honestly). Rather not sail? Really? I'm just happy to be cruising. We did our first balcony in June. I'm going to admit that we loved it, but we only did it because it was only $50 more pp than the inside, because the Allure has mostly balcony cabins.

Do what you're comfortable with. If you can afford a slightly larger room with a view, go for it. But I wouldn't worry about how terrible it might be if you don't. Having a great time does not depend on it. It depends on you.

Agreed. We will have 4 ppl in our Grandeur cabin (infant and mom), but I know the room will be used for sleeping only. Sailing with a tight fit > Not sailing at all IMO :rolleyes:.

I have never been in an inside, but I did book an inside for our cruise in November because of the amazing price. However, after final payment, I kept looking at the pricing, and an oceanview dropped dramatically. I called my TA and was able to get an upgrade to an oceanview from inside for $20 TOTAL for myself and my fiance. So of course, I took it! I would definitely keep checking the prices and call to see what they can do for you if you see any sort of drop in pricing.

I agree with the natural light comments. It is definitely nice to be able to have that light and know what time of day it is.