Can't decide Alaska on the Soltice or Summit to Bermuda?

NOSaints1

I live near NYC but would never consider a Bermuda cruise because the first day out and back are going to be in cold water. It seems to me that the better alternative would be Summit out of San Juan. There are two itineraries, and both are great.

I've done a Bermuda cruise. I thought it was an absolutely beautiful place. It was like walking around in a water color painting. Bermuda is much about beach, water sports, golf, shopping, Dark & Stormys (with rum, mmmmm).

I've also been to Alaska on the Inside Passage cruise round trip from Seattle, which is a great city to explore before a cruise. The excursions on the cruise can be very active:hiking, zip lining, ocean fishing, helicoptering over glaciers, sled dogging, seeing historic sites, salmon bakes. So much to do that you probably need to go more than once.

In fact i'm going to Alaska a second time August 2015. It will be a land-sea trip starting in Fairbanks for a week on land with excursions and working our way to Whittier. There are lots of tours of fishing, white water, small planes touring Denali with some landing on the mountain, wildlife expeditions. Then at Whittier it's onto the ship. The first 2 days are sailing by magnificent glaciers. Then it's Skagway, Juneau and Ketchican to see things I missed the first time.

So, Burmuda or Alaska? I've made my decision. Coral Princess, here I come. Of course time and money are big factors. Land-sea Alaska is 10-14 days, and much more expensive for airfare and any meals you might eat off the ship. A one week Alaska cruise is less costly, but you miss so much. The two week trip is indeed a once in a lifetime trip.

It's a big decision!

Edited by Lady Lexus

I have also done both and would do both again. You are asking a question

that doesn't have a right or wrong answer....which is better for a couple

in the 30s? It depends on what the couple likes to do......do you they

enjoy beaches? Laying in the sun? A bit of sightseeing?.....

Do they enjoy major, more heavy duty excursions? Do they enjoy

the cold weather?

These itineraries are like comparing applies to oranges.......they are

soooooooooooo very different from each other.

Which cruise would be more suitable for a couple in their mid 30s?

When we sailed to Alaska last year, the majority of our group (14 of us) were in their mid 30's to early 40's. I was very happy to take this cruise while still in good physical condition instead of waiting until our "golden years ". We researched each destination thoroughly and did a lot on our own. For example in Sitka, from the Welcome Center we trekked along the water, hiked through the Sitka National Forest and up to the Alaska Raptor Center. We then walked back through downtown Sitka, and finished back at the Welcome Center. My sisters and their husbands also went kayaking. Had we not been in good physical condition, we would've not been able to do as much.

So my suggestion is to do Alaska while still young. We loved it and can't wait to go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

...it's our 10 year anniversary in Oct.

Congrats on the anniversary! We just celebrated 10 years on the Golden Princess last month (review with photos below :)). From your various posts on the different boards, I know that you're looking for that perfect getaway to take your wife on. So was I. When we started planning, we were going to take a 2 week vacation, first spending a week in Venice followed by an Eastern Mediterranean sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette in a Sky Suite. We ended going away for 5 nights, first 1 night in Long Beach, CA followed by a 4 night Pacific Coast sailing on the Golden Princess in the cheapest oceanview stateroom :o. And you know what? It was absolutely amazing! Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better time with my wife. :D

What I'm trying to say is that, no matter what you choose, it will be awesome! Celebrating a milestone anniversary, and just spending time with each other will really take center stage. No matter what you choose, enjoy! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Neither of these cruises can really be done well in October (you mentioned anniversary during that month- ours is too).

Personally we like to enjoy Canada during our summers so I'd skip both of these choices and take the Summit out of San Juan in late October when the weather is already getting cold and cruddy here.

Airfare might be a bit higher but your cabin will be cheaper. Plus a few nights before in San Juan is going to be really fun.

Do a long weekend to New York as a separate trip, maybe a birthday or other celebration.

Southern Caribbean is great trip and Summit is a great ship.

Edited by monicajay

I live near NYC but would never consider a Bermuda cruise because the first day out and back are going to be in cold water. It seems to me that the better alternative would be Summit out of San Juan. There are two itineraries, and both are great.

I lived in NJ 30 minutes from the pier for 60 years and that is absolutely not the case in the summer. Early May as I said in an earlier post can be cool but certainly not late May, June, July or August. This is from experience on both cruises and land trips. The sea days your have a hard time getting good seats by the pools.

Edited by dkjretired

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my first celebrity cruise was from Seattle on the solstice this past august. I loved the ship. I booked the fairmont Olympic through Hotwire and arrived the day before, deck 8 balcony was great. Compared to Vancouver, maybe the itinerary is not as good but the ship was. I will try the Summit this April to San Juan.

If you can go on the Solstice, to Alaska. Rent a car and do not do the train in Skagway.

We did not book excursions but loved Mendenhall glacier with a booking outside for 20pp round trip.

Had premium bev package, a great deal when upgrading.

Our experience was so great in the MDR. Wine Stewart the best.

Good luck and happy sailing wherever you decide.