Roundtrip Transatlantic??

twinkle toes

Sorry in advance if this sounds like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know the answer to this. Do all cruiselines travel the same direction in the same months when doing transatlantic cruises, or is it possible to go one direction on one cruiseline and turn around and travel back on another cruiseline?

As far as I know, the major lines all schedule TAs as repositioning cruises.

I believe only Cunard runs regular TAs between England and New York.

So, it may be possible to go in one direction on a line and return on Cunard. Whether you can hit it just right, I don't know-you'll have to check.

HAL is doing one this year that is around 40 days on the Maasdam. Also next year on the same ship (50days). Would be awesome for someone that doesn't like to fly and has the time and money. Otherwise, you could combine a TA with a Cunard crossing.

Edited by Cruise Junky

HAL does the Voyage of the Vikings every autumn. This year it was on the Veendam and I believe it will be on the Veendam next year, too. The future cruise consultant on the Veendam said it's one of HAL's most popular cruises because people don't have the long flights. Veendam is a small ship, so it books up fast. Many people go year after year. I don't know if any other cruise lines have something like this.

HAL is doing one this year that is around 40 days on the Maasdam. Also next year on the same ship (50days). Would be awesome for someone that doesn't like to fly and has the time and money. Otherwise, you could combine a TA with a Cunard crossing.

Thanks for that info. Had no idea any cruise line did a Transatlantic roundtrip. I learned something new. It looks like a great itinerary. Would love to do it one day.

Sorry in advance if this sounds like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know the answer to this. Do all cruiselines travel the same direction in the same months when doing transatlantic cruises, or is it possible to go one direction on one cruiseline and turn around and travel back on another cruiseline?

Di not know about the other lines and itineraries for a TA, but sailed on the Veendam this summer and really enjoyed it, staff was wonderful. But different size and kind of ships for different tastes.

The intro to your question reminded me of something my mom always said : it is a stupid question only if you already know the answer ;)

The intro to your question reminded me of something my mom always said : it is a stupid question only if you already know the answer ;)
And I learned that the only stupid question is the one not asked, particularly when one assumes they already know the answer. :)

In April we took the Emerald Princess transatlantic to Southhampton, stayed a week and took the Queen Mary 2 back to New York. worked out well.
In April 2015 the Caribbean Princess is doing a Transatlantic from FLL to Southampton via Bermuda, Ireland, and Scotland, arriving May 9. The Queen Mary II goes in the westerly direction on May 27, 2015, and there are some on the roll call for the April cruise who are returning to the USA via this method.

I believe both Royal and Regal Princess also have the possibility of a return in the same manner.

Edited by Times Prince

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas just came back yesterday on a trans-Atlantic cruise that started in England. The ship sailed over in September for a two-week drydock in Rotterdam. Someone could have had a nice two-month vacation going on both trans-Atlantics and spending a couple of weeks in whichever European countries they wanted to.

A related option I have seriously considered and done a little bit of research on is the idea of a trans Pacific cruise,(since I live in the west) followed by a return trip on one of the cargo ships that accepts passengers.

Very viable option, and a chance for a different kind of "cruise" experience.

I assume the same option is available trans Atlantic.