Anyone hear anything from Carnival regarding chikungunya virus?

DirtDiver

Jamaica has declared a state of emergency, and I have a cruise coming up in a couple days that ports in Ocho Rios. I'm concerned about getting off the ship, especially for those in our group that have autoimmune deficiencies such as Lupus.

Has anyone here heard or spoken to Carnival about this problem? I would hope they would skip Jamaica after such a widespread problem there.

State of emergency:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-21/jamaica-declares-state-emergency-try-stop-spread-painful-chikungunya-virus

Jamaica has declared a state of emergency, and I have a cruise coming up in a couple days that ports in Ocho Rios. I'm concerned about getting off the ship, especially for those in our group that have autoimmune deficiencies such as Lupus.

Has anyone here heard or spoken to Carnival about this problem? I would hope they would skip Jamaica after such a widespread problem there.

State of emergency:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-21/jamaica-declares-state-emergency-try-stop-spread-painful-chikungunya-virus

This disease, like many others, is spread by mosquitos. All I can say is "Bug repellant".

And it is not just Jamaica. They can't stop going to all the islands.

This disease, like many others, is spread by mosquitos. All I can say is "Bug repellant".

And it is not just Jamaica. They can't stop going to all the islands.

Yes, I read about the disease and know it's spread by mosquitos, but I also read that bug repellant wasn't successful 100% of the time...which has been my experience as well when I go camping. I suppose it may help to use both repellant and stay on the port / beach and not venture into the island for excursions.

But to your point, not "all" of the islands have been affected the same. From the information I've been able to find, it has been reported in small numbers on many of the islands, but some of them, such as Jamaica, have an all out problem.

Edited by DirtDiver

Yes, I read about the disease and know it's spread by mosquitos, but I also read that bug repellant wasn't successful 100% of the time...which has been my experience as well when I go camping. I suppose it may help to use both repellant and stay on the port / beach and not venture into the island for excursions.

But to your point, not "all" of the islands have been affected the same. From the information I've been able to find, it has been reported in small numbers on many of the islands, but some of them, such as Jamaica, have an all out problem.

Never said all islands were affected nor rated the degree to which they were.

Edited by Bookbug53

Never said 'all' the islands were affected. I said others had been affected and Carnival cannot stop going to all of them.

I understand that, and appreciate your response.

I guess what I was trying to say was that IMO it may be a good idea to avoid the ones where even the government (this is saying a lot in this part of the world) has declared a state of emergency.

We are on a Princess cruise in a week or so. We received an advisory for our stops in the Bahamas and Ocho Rios. DEET insect repellant was recommended. As I understand it, mosquitoes are most active at dawn, dusk, and night. Those are times we will be on the ship. Our plan is to use DEET wipes before going on shore.

Edited by Grannycb

I was in Jamaica on October 1, 2014. Like the above poster we were advised to use a bug repellent with DEET. The info even went so far as to say sun screen first then bug repellent. I had it in my bag but didn't need to use it. Neither my husband nor I were bothered by those pesky mosquitos. We did travel and hike in areas with dense foliage and water. Usually they love my hubby but no problems this trip. Not one bite.

We went to Jamaica in May and never even saw 1 mosquito. We also did a beach day excursion so we weren't in the jungle or parts of the rain forest. They are deterred by DEET so use insect repellant. We now have the disease in the US also so of course they won't stop going to islands that have it as we now have it here along with West Nile.

Out of all the islands our family of 5 absolutely loved Jamaica and I feel you are making a mistake if you don't get off the ship. Just my opinion though...I know others would argue that point.:rolleyes:

For what is worth...I have an auto-immune disease also!!

Edited by LaShea

We went to Jamaica in May and never even saw 1 mosquito. We also did a beach day excursion so we weren't in the jungle or parts of the rain forest. They are deterred by DEET so use insect repellant. We now have the disease in the US also so of course they won't stop going to islands that have it as we now have it here along with West Nile.

Out of all the islands our family of 5 absolutely loved Jamaica and I feel you are making a mistake if you don't get off the ship. Just my opinion though...I know others would argue that point.:rolleyes:

I think my point was missed:

Yes, we may have had reported cases of the virus, but that doesn't mean that all things are equal. For example, by these standards, the U.S. "has ebola" but it's slightly different than the ebola outbreaks in West Africa. My guess is not a single person here would step foot in Liberia today, but would gladly travel and walk around NYC. Both "have ebola" but there is a difference in quantity. There have been reported cases of CHIKV in the U.S., but not at all near the quantity that are being reported daily in the islands.

This isn't ebola, but it's still a problem. One of the major problems with diseases in the "third world" is that the governments don't accurately report the numbers. Similar in a way to a CDC director that makes conflicting statements days apart. The more I've read about this epidemic, the more I've realized that the Jamaican authorities really are trying to contain the financial damage to Jamaica, not the actual disease. (here is one article that's worth reading, with some grains of salt added: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140928/focus/focus3.html)

I imagine the cruise lines watch this sort of activity very closely, and correspond with organizations like the CDC and the nations that they travel to.

I think my point was missed:

Yes, we may have had reported cases of the virus, but that doesn't mean that all things are equal. For example, by these standards, the U.S. "has ebola" but it's slightly different than the ebola outbreaks in West Africa. My guess is not a single person here would step foot in Liberia today, but would gladly travel and walk around NYC. Both "have ebola" but there is a difference in quantity. There have been reported cases of CHIKV in the U.S., but not at all near the quantity that are being reported daily in the islands.

This isn't ebola, but it's still a problem. One of the major problems with diseases in the "third world" is that the governments don't accurately report the numbers. Similar in a way to a CDC director that makes conflicting statements days apart. The more I've read about this epidemic, the more I've realized that the Jamaican authorities really are trying to contain the financial damage to Jamaica, not the actual disease. (here is one article that's worth reading, with some grains of salt added: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140928/focus/focus3.html)

I imagine the cruise lines watch this sort of activity very closely, and correspond with organizations like the CDC and the nations that they travel to.

Your point wasn't missed at all. Use DEET and you will be ok. We were there also during the times when they had a lot of cases of this virus...I have an auto-immune disease also and I got off the ship with my whole family! We never even saw 1 mosquito. I see more mosquitos here in South Texas then I did there. That is my point...use insect repellant if you are worried and go have fun. It is a beautiful island.

We have tons of cases of West Nile virus here in South Texas and West Nile virus can kill you. That doesn't mean I don't go out side or let my kids play because they could be exposed to West Nile. We have it every year and it is getting worst you just have to be protected. I have read up on the new virus and it doesn't kill you. It can make you sick and your joints can hurt but, you get better after some time.

WOW let us worry about some more stuff while we are relaxing and vacationing. Lupus,West Nile virus,ebola, swine flu, and chikungunya virus just to name a few. WOW lets not even go outside as we are going to be attaked by killer bees, mosquitoes and butterflies Just stay inside and wear DEET 100% all over your body in case a flea is around. [/color] Darn folks relax and enjoy life.

Edited by jaxfl

Jaxfl, now really ??? You can't catch Lupus; it's an autoimmune disorder, so you obviously are just 'reactimg' to the OP who wants to be informed and take care of themselves. Nothing wrong with being cautious, absolutely nothing, except in your mind.

A fellow cruiser, who has been at Ocho Rios many times, mentioned that the cruise line gives out warnings before you disembark.

Thanks, fellow cruisers, for your informed suggestions.

Heading to San Juan Friday to sail on Saturday. Have you heard about Dengue Fever!!! Gasp! :p

Stopping in St Croix, Grenada, Martinique, Dominica and Grand Turk, too. We'll be doing some tours in rain forests.

Mosquitoes love me, so I just picked up a "fresh" bottle of repellent that is 40% DEET. Not sure I like the idea of all that insecticide on my skin, but don't like the idea of mosquito-borne virus, either.

As with the majority of other things, there's no need to worry, let alone panic. Just be prepared and use the spray as directed. Make sure you read about how to use it (before or after sunscreen is applied).

State of emergency:

I would say that until the CDC issues a travel advisory, there won't be any changes to itinerary. The CDC has the Caribbean on a "Level 1 - Watch", which means "Practice Usual Precautions".

Well, not really. It isn't "ment" to be.

There ARE things you can do to reduce your risk.

If you choose to not do these things, well, that's your prerogative.

I'd rather NOT come home with some virus that I probably could've prevented simply by spraying on some stuff before I venture into the rain forest.

Of course you cannot plan for every single thing that "might" happen. But this is a simple way to reduce the chance you'll get any of these nasty sicknesses.

Really doesn't take much more effort than just burying your head in the sand and pretending that you have no control over anything that happens to you!

Hi all!

I'm going to the Blue Hole in Jamaica so guess I better get some protection.

Grannycb ~ I see you mentionned DEET wipes, are they commonly available in the States? We don't seem to have them here in Ontario. Where could I buy some please? Thanks for any suggestions.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

Grannycb ~ I see you mentionned DEET wipes, are they commonly available in the States? We don't seem to have them here in Ontario. Where could I buy some please? Thanks for any suggestions.

You can buy them on line before you leave home if you want. If not, here in Georgia they sell them in any outdoors store, Walmart, Walgreens, etc.

They are usually in the camping section of the store. I am very sure that Florida stores would sell them as well.

Hi all!

I bought them in the camping/sporting goods section of Walmart. I would think they are available in any store that sells that type of equipment.

Hi all!

MEC stores (don't know what those are) have Ben's Wipes (30%), I think Walmart and Target have them. Canada limits DEET to 30%, so some products may not be available.

MEC stores (don't know what those are) have Ben's Wipes (30%), I think Walmart and Target have them. Canada limits DEET to 30%, so some products may not be available.

I bought a small bottle at Walmart of REPEL 100, says it is 98.1% DEET.

Problem is I'm not sure I want to put it on my skin.

I think the Ebola scare has taken over the country.:rolleyes:

This has fallen to the back burner.

When we cruised in July, we didn't get off the ship in the DR because of this.

Now, I haven't heard ANYTHING about it.......

Sure it's still there. Just get some good repellent with DEET!!!!:D

I bought a small bottle at Walmart of REPEL 100, says it is 98.1% DEET.

Problem is I'm not sure I want to put it on my skin.

100% DEET products like Ben's can be put on clothing or shoes and is just as effective. And you only need a couple of drops.