honest review of summit reposition cruise

seaman11

I am a long time Cruiser which has recently been loyal to Royal. Searching for a line that was a step above i wanted to try celebrity. First the Bayonne port was very hard to get to without a car. But ok i dont hold that against Celeb. The check in girl once at port was clueless as was the manager about my sons account. i remarked ,dont you check people in every week and should know how this works? ok maybe i was cranky from the bus and three trains and cab to get to port.

So i get on board , what a lovely ship very nice. cabin seems great too. I ate the buffet was better than windjammer for sure. i wanted to take a nap and couldnt because the theater 2 floors below was super loud and practicing for a show with loud booming bass. i went to the front desk three times and all three times i was treated poorly ,partially ignored and i got a little loud after 3 hours of being told i couldnt talk to a manager and to come back later, and finally got to speak to a supervisor as in being told there is a code of conduct and sort of hinted i could be removed. i explained i would not have gotten loud had i had customer service from the beginning. Something Royal has always given.

Not a great way to start my trip over 24 hours no sleep and already 2 incidents, 3 counting a cabbie wanting to fight my uber driver for dropping me off.

i get a room change and its much better noise wise i didnt want any upgrade only peace so i could nap.

Now on to the real review.

MDR food nice but boring and weak selection of appetizers. i felt royal has done better mixing things up like italian night.

Buffet- better than windjammer

People- better type of people imo as far as dress code and acting ,manners wise. now there was a big G and L transgender group which is ok with me, however nearly 0 single females onboard.

entertainment- snooze, cruise director thinks he is a film maker and there werent that many activities , and a deal breaker for me pools and hottubs closed at 8pm. female piano singer was good.

I know I wanted a "classier" cruise but this was dead boring. club only good one night, DJ's horrible half the time i think it was just a replay program no real DJ.

rest of Staff- didnt make me feel they wanted us onboard , they looked dead tired and over worked, also i think stretched thin as there wasnt enough staff imo but that could be because repositioning.

I am pretty sure ill never sail summit again, but may try another celeb ship to see if it was the staff that made my experience ho hum.

Edited by seaman11

It's fortunate they were able to change your room which can't always happen.

At the top of the page, there's a Sticky thread where you can add your room number to the Millennium Class Compilation of cabin info. Might help someone else avoid a noisy room.

Cruise lines and different sailings have personalities, just like people. For a guy looking for a great DJ and single women, a short cruise out of Miami is probably likely to be more fun than a repositioning cruise which often attracts older people. The action in clubs on ships is livelier with a younger crowd, not much the ship can do about that.

You can also investigate this before you book next time, but I THINK you'll find many ships close the hot tubs and pools at night. I could be wrong about that. They may be trying to avoid a lot of late night partying (which can be a source of noise that would disturb another passenger, and you already know that's not a good thing!)

The pools closed at 10pm, not 8...

It's like we were on two different cruises... but it sounds like a lot of your review was colored by stuff that was not celebrity's fault - including getting the pier, and the fight the cab driver had.

It's like we were on two different ships. I felt the staff went above and beyond for me. And they did for you too - they were able to switch your room, and it sounds like you got an upgraded cabin...

I hope your next cruising experience is a better one. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.

I am so sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience on Celebrity Summit.

After doing only Celebrity cruises for 12 years straight we decided to try Royal. We sailed this March on an 8 night cruise on Explorer. The Windjammer for lunch was terrible. I actually groaned each time my DH made me walk in there. The MDR was only open for lunch on sea days and we tried it twice. It was not that much better.

I told my DH that the cruise didn't count and we need to book a Celebrity cruise, which we did for May 25th to Bermuda on Summit. I was so happy to be back on Celebrity even with the leak in our bathroom. In our opinion the food on Royal is nowhere near as good as Celebrity.

We sailed Summit again 9/21-10/5 and again had a great time. No leaky bathroom this time.

I do have to agree that after dinner on Royal there was more "nightlife" and really did enjoy their party band. Also we liked that the Diamond Event was from 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM.

Edited by CruisingChick

As novice cruisers, we booked a cabin in the bow and over the theater on the HAL Zaadam. It was the least expensive verandah and all we could afford at the time. I sympathize with your noise issues. It's difficult to deal with noise that you can't control.

We learned to pay a bit more and find a quiet cabin.

It is funny to me how people can have such different experiences...even on the exact same cruise.

I don't think I have ever encountered a staff member on X ship that wasn't friendly.

Someone that is cruising soon, please do this and report back your results....Leave your room and make a complete lap around the hallway on the floor you are on (or really any floor with staterooms). Count the number of X workers you encounter and keep track of how many of them greet you with a "good morning" or something similar. In my memory I would think it is almost 100% and they all have a smile. I would be curious to the outcome.

To OP, sorry about your experience. I would never recommend X to someone that was looking for a ship with a "single women" vibe. I would recommend you try Carnival.

The pools closed at 10pm, not 8...

It's like we were on two different cruises... but it sounds like a lot of your review was colored by stuff that was not celebrity's fault - including getting the pier, and the fight the cab driver had.

It's like we were on two different ships. I felt the staff went above and beyond for me. And they did for you too - they were able to switch your room, and it sounds like you got an upgraded cabin...

I hope your next cruising experience is a better one. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.

I can relate to what goes on prior to boarding a cruise coloring your view of your cruise.

When I sailed on Carnival Conquest it was relatively "meh" for most of the cruise. My wife and I (and our 2 best friends) had a very bad experience at the Port of New Orleans before getting on board and the first few days we were a tad irritable. From that point forward we just tried to enjoy as much as we could, but the damage had been done.

As for the OP's bad customer relations experience on board, I've experienced barely acceptable to bad CR on Celebrity ships. I've mentioned it before, they will not do what's 100% right for the customer complaining if it means inconveniencing someone else. In my case it dealt with a situation on The Alcoves on Silhouette. My wife and I felt as if we were pushed aside in order for them to assist another couple who was then given what was"ours". (Long story short: It had rained in the very early morning hours, so the staff needed to replace the wet cushions for dry ones in all the cabanas. After informing the staff about the problem, we stood and waited for over 30 minutes for them to return with dry cushions. When they did return, the other couple, who had gotten there 20 minutes after us, received the dry cushions that had been removed from the cabana we were standing in. Complaining did nothing, as the staff refused to accommodate us. In the end we got a refund, but no apology and a ton of ill will.)

Be that as it may, I still love the ships and mostly everything they offer. They just really need to work on the customer relations side of things on the ship and on the phone.

Not sure where the OP is from but I know they have Academy Bus Service from many locations that take you right to Cape Liberty. Not sure why he had to take a bus and 3 trains and a cab. This is from the Celebrity web-site:

This service is offered in the following cities: Washington, DC; Baltimore, MD; Wilmington, DE; Philadelphia, PA; Braintree, MA; Worcester, MA; Springfield, MA; Hartford, CT; Warwick, RI; New London, CT; New Haven, CT; Bridgeport, CT; Manchester, NH; Salem NH; Woburn, MA; Framingham, MA; Long Island, NY.

For prices, availability and pick-up locations, please call Academy Buses at 1-800-310-9900 or book onlin

I would also like to know what stateroom he was in that was so noisy, so we can avoid it in the future.

Edited by CruisingChick

I was also on this cruise. I agree on the MDR food. They had much better variety, presentation and taste on my Carnival Valor cruise last year. Qsine was outstanding though.

The staff could not have been more courteous and we always found things to do and stay entertained. We are in our 30's and were travelling with another couple who are in their 20's if that makes a difference.

...It's like we were on two different cruises... but it sounds like a lot of your review was colored by stuff that was not celebrity's fault - including getting the pier, and the fight the cab driver had.

I always check the boards after a cruise to see what others who were on the same sailing have to say and oftentimes wonder if we and they were actually on the same ship at the same. I guess it's a matter of different folks having different perspectives. It has been my experience that particularly negative reviews often reflect unreasonable expectations and lack of flexibility/tolerance on the part of the reviewer. That is not say all negative reviews lack merit but rather that for some folks if it's not all good (according to their own definition of good), it's all bad.

Edited by lysolqn

Sorry you had such bad experiences. Sometimes when things go wrong in the beginning (getting to the port and your confrontation with guest services with them speaking to you about the passenger code of conduct), things seem to just go downhill from that point on.

Hopefully your next cruise, on which ever cruise line you choose, will go a lot more smoothly.

DW and I just finished this cruise and we loved it.

We don't get a chance to cruise often and we're pretty low maintenance, so nit-picking is not something we do. As long as service and food is reasonable, we're glad to be aboard.

People- better type of people imo as far as dress code and acting ,manners wise. now there was a big G and L transgender group which is ok with me, however nearly 0 single females onboard.

You were one cruise too early. The second leg out of San Juan was the "singles" cruise.

entertainment- snooze, cruise director thinks he is a film maker and there werent that many activities , and a deal breaker for me pools and hottubs closed at 8pm. female piano singer was good.

I know I wanted a "classier" cruise but this was dead boring. club only good one night, DJ's horrible half the time i think it was just a replay program no real DJ.

We understand the ship offers activities and entertainment, but we don't expect the ship to keep us entertained. That's our job. DW and I bring a book, we play cards, we gaze at the ocean, we go to shows, we chill. To me, people who complain about being bored on a cruise ship are unclear on the concept of cruising.

rest of Staff- didnt make me feel they wanted us onboard , they looked dead tired and over worked, also i think stretched thin as there wasnt enough staff imo but that could be because repositioning.

I didn't get that feeling from the staff at all. We were almost always greeted with a smile and greeting from the staff. And yes, they looked tired because they work very hard to keep customers happy. They are by no means perfect, but I've always felt they try very hard to provide a pleasant cruise environment.

I am pretty sure ill never sail summit again, but may try another celeb ship to see if it was the staff that made my experience ho hum.

You've made the right decision here. Summit is probably not the ship for you. However, if your approach is to try a different ship to see if the staff is going to make you happy, I think you're doing it wrong.

Do some extensive pre-cruise research, understand the nature of the ship you're going to be on and take responsibility for your own cruise experience.

"Keep Calm and Cruise On!" :cool:

OP, you probably didn't know this, but had you stayed on board for the next cruise (the one on the Ship now) you would have been on the cruise at the same as a large singles' group. I have a feeling that you would have had a much different experience as well.

Ummmm, if you were threatened to get removed from the ship, than you were doing MUCH MORE than just complaining, you were being downright rude and must have been yelling at swearing. People are not threatened with removal from a ship for complaining rationally, just sayin....

Do some extensive pre-cruise research, understand the nature of the ship you're going to be on and take responsibility for your own cruise experience.

"Keep Calm and Cruise On!" :cool:

/\ excellent advice, especially for a novice cruiser but the OP said he was a regular. Typically, you live and learn...as in if you want quiet, don't book a few decks above or below a lounge, showroom (although it's normally not an issue unless you retire very early), lido deck, GTY etc. Unfortunate, that oP needed a nap at the same time as rehearsal, but imo great customer service to accommodate a change in cabin.

Ummmm, if you were threatened to get removed from the ship, than you were doing MUCH MORE than just complaining, you were being downright rude and must have been yelling at swearing. People are not threatened with removal from a ship for complaining rationally, just sayin....

I didn't think so either, or there would certainly be more reports of it posted here.:confused:

Edited by keishashadow

Summit is probably not the ship for you. :

I actually think the OP wold have liked the summit on its summer Bermuda sailings, however a repositioning cruise is often not the best way to judge a line, due to the extra costs involved for people to get to it and back again from different airports and typically higher flight costs, it tends to bring in a more "mature" crowd shall we say.

I've done 2 TA's (very older and sedate), 2 bermudas (very mixed crowd, very "New Jersey" or "New york" in feel and active) and 2 of the short Connie Caribbean sailings (more like a booze cruise/party cruise with a Miami club feel), and they are all so different from each other in age of passenger, and entertainment options aboard.

To the original poster...sorry you had such a poor experience. I have sailed

Summit 6 times and have always felt very welcomed by both, staff and crew.

Not sure how much research you did but Celebrity doesn't always have

"unattached females"....not sure what you were looking for. I have been

sailing solo for many years but I don't cruise to meet other solo cruisers.

As long as there are friendly folks on board...... maritial status doesn't

matter to me.

Hope you have a better time on your next cruise.

Edited by Lois R

Not sure where the OP is from but I know they have Academy Bus Service from many locations that take you right to Cape Liberty. Not sure why he had to take a bus and 3 trains and a cab. This is from the Celebrity web-site:

I would also like to know what stateroom he was in that was so noisy, so we can avoid it in the future.

7028, and to be clear for others i did not get an upgrade, but i wasnt looking for one, just a quiet room i could take naps in. i did get an equal quiet room , but as i said i had to hoot and holler and make a fuss. this isnt great customer service,i used to run a hilton, so i know how you treat a guest with a issue in his/her room to provide a good experience.

7028, and to be clear for others i did not get an upgrade, but i wasnt looking for one, just a quiet room i could take naps in. i did get an equal quiet room , but as i said i had to hoot and holler and make a fuss. this isnt great customer service,i used to run a hilton, so i know how you treat a guest with a issue in his/her room to provide a good experience.

7028, a category 09 Inside, is part of the cheapest, and therefore often least desirable cabins categories on the ship. It's this category specifically due to its location and less than desirable location above the theatre.. Others in this category involve restaurants, and other such annoyances above or below or adjacent.

Deck 2 and 3 have category 11 and 12 inside cabins, with less annoyances, at higher cost.

You do get what you pay for.

Curious, if the ship was sold out as is often the case, what would you have expected? It was pure luck this was a repo with open cabins that there was anywhere to relocate you to.

Edited by cle-guy