Airport to cruise out of Miami

Yvonne

I am in the process of booking a cruise with my granddaughter and her step-mom, to celebrate my granddaughter's graduation from college. I have only cruised from Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral in Florida, but we are seeing a few cruises out of Miami that we may consider booking one of those and I know NOTHING about getting from the airport (we would fly into Ft. Lauderdale, correct?) to the cruise terminal and back to the airport.

What kind of transportation is there from the airport to Miami? We would probably book a hotel for the night before the cruise in Miami. What hotels offer a shuttle to the cruise terminal?

We plan to book the cruise Saturday and I'd kind of like to know the procedure before we book one sailing from Miami, thanks! :)

Edited by Yvonne

I am in the process of booking a cruise with my granddaughter and her step-mom, to celebrate my granddaughter's graduation from college. I have only cruised from Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral in Florida, but we are seeing a few cruises out of Miami that we may consider booking one of those and I know NOTHING about getting from the airport (we would fly into Ft. Lauderdale, correct?) to the cruise terminal and back to the airport.

What kind of transportation is there from the airport to Miami? We would probably book a hotel for the night before the cruise in Miami. What hotels offer a shuttle to the cruise terminal?

We plan to book the cruise Saturday and I'd kind of like to know the procedure before we book one sailing from Miami, thanks! :)

We usually fly into Ft Lauderdale and use SAS (http://www.ridesas.com) to shuttle us to POM.

If we fly a day early we try to book a hotel in Ft Lauderdale. They are normally lower priced.

SAS has a list of Ft Lauderdale hotels on their website they will pick up from, and some of the hotels offer shuttles from FLL to their hotel (some are free and some charge a fee).

SAS rates from Ft Lauderdale to POM have been $15 per person for quite a while.

I have also seen QLS and JiffyJeff mentioned on these boards but haven't used them.

Edited by swedish weave

Don't limit yourself to Fort Lauderdale. You can also fly in and out of Miami.

If you do Miami then you can easily take a taxi from airport to hotel, from hotel to port and from port to airport.

I would first see what flights are available.

Keith

If you are cruising from Miami why would you fly into FLL? Every major airport in the country has a ton of taxis and town cars and shuttles to get where you want to go.:)

Usually to save $100's per person in airfare. :cool:

And then pay to get to Miami.:rolleyes: What is the most they can save by flying into FLL? I guess if a $100 bucks or so is that important, then fly into FLL and get transportation to Miami.

Personally the inconvenience far out weighs the money issue for me.

And then pay to get to Miami.:rolleyes: What is the most they can save by flying into FLL? I guess if a $100 bucks or so is that important, then fly into FLL and get transportation to Miami.

Maybe OP is looking at the big picture. Hotels in Ft Lauderdale are usually priced lower, and some have free shuttles from FLL. SAS charges $15 per person to shuttle from Ft Lauderdale to POM, and most of the taxis in Miami charge around $20 or more from downtown to the pier.

It is only about a 40 minute ride from FLL to POM, so the convenience is not a real problem.

Edited by swedish weave

Because of the Southwest effect we have sometimes saved $200+ per person by flying into FLL instead of MIA - some even fly into PBI, MCO or Tampa; if you are arriving the day before and will be renting a car what is a few hours of driving when a family of 4 can save almost $1000? :confused:

As mentioned above, hotels in the FLL area re usually cheaper than comparable properties in Miami or Miami beach and the FLL area is more family friendly IMHO. :cool:

Balancing money and conveneince is a personal decision - this board gives everyone the info they need to make their own decisions. :)

Because of the Southwest effect we have sometimes saved $200+ per person by flying into FLL instead of MIA - some even fly into PBI, MCO or Tampa; if you are arriving the day before and will be renting a car what is a few hours of driving when a family of 4 can save almost $1000? :confused:

As mentioned above, hotels in the FLL area re usually cheaper than comparable properties in Miami or Miami beach and the FLL area is more family friendly IMHO. :cool:

Balancing money and conveneince is a personal decision - this board gives everyone the info they need to make their own decisions. :)

Well said.

For the last few cruises from the POM we have flown JetBlue into FLL. There has generally been a considerable price savings when looking at airfare and cab fare to the hotel and we also prefer JetBlue.

It really isn't that hard jumping into a car and going to our hotel from either FLL or MIA.

Maybe OP is looking at the big picture. Hotels in Ft Lauderdale are usually priced lower, and some have free shuttles from FLL. SAS charges $15 per person to shuttle from Ft Lauderdale to POM, and most of the taxis in Miami charge around $20 or more from downtown to the pier.

It is only about a 40 minute ride from FLL to POM, so the convenience is not a real problem.

Not all of us are that concerned about the cost of the hotels or the travel charge to Miami from FLL. Personally for me it would be an inconvenience and I would be more than happy to pay extra for the hotel in Miami. But that is just my preference.:)