Help request, LA Grand Princess embarkation

Dambuster

Hi everyone,

We are on The Grand Princess departing LA on the 4 Dec. THis is the first time we have caught the ship in LA, as most of our previous departures have been from Fort Lauderdale.

We are having an overnight stop (after flying in from Scotland) in the Embassy suites at LAX.

Could anyone please advise on Taxi travel and fares from the hotel to the pier? I have heard $70 -$75 quoted. A princess transfer fro the 3 of us is around $90.

Many thanks in advance

Tony

Hi everyone,

We are on The Grand Princess departing LA on the 4 Dec. THis is the first time we have caught the ship in LA, as most of our previous departures have been from Fort Lauderdale.

We are having an overnight stop (after flying in from Scotland) in the Embassy suites at LAX.

Could anyone please advise on Taxi travel and fares from the hotel to the pier? I have heard $70 -$75 quoted. A princess transfer fro the 3 of us is around $90.

Many thanks in advance

Tony

Private taxi fares are around what you quoted. Don't forget it is customary to tip a taxi driver in the U.S. The trip is about 45 mins without traffic. Since Dec 4 is a Thursday you might encounter traffic. The hotel may also have a group shuttle which goes to San Pedro, contact them directly. A group shuttle will be around $20pp plus tip.

May I suggest, if possible, that you transfer directly to San Pedro on Dec 3rd when you arrive at LAX. We always stay in San Pedro before the cruise. Again, private taxis and Group shuttles are available right at the airport. There are 3 hotels right in San Pedro just mins. from the pier. They are the Crown Plaza, Doubletree both medium priced and the Sunrise, lower priced, but fine for one night. They all have free shuttles that go to the ship.

The group shuttles mentioned are Super Shuttle and Prime Time. I would also suggest staying in San Pedro rather than by LAX. You will have a more relaxed embarkation morning not worrying about traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The group shuttles mentioned are Super Shuttle and Prime Time. I would also suggest staying in San Pedro rather than by LAX. You will have a more relaxed embarkation morning not worrying about traffic.
I agree. Even though it would be after a very long flight, you'll be able right near the ship and be far more relaxed in the morning. :) I'd take one of the shuttles mentioned here.

I know when I land after an international flight, a hotel bed sounds wonderful. If you have a reservation already near LAX, you could keep it and still get to San Pedro in time in the morning. I'm voting taxi since they are easy to find and pretty reliable.

And the scenery is better at San Pedro.

if the OP is getting in late in the day from Scotland or if the Embassy Suites is part of a package then LAX is OK. If they have time after they arrive and the flexibility to change then San Pedro is the better option. They could pick up a couple of bottles of wine and anything else they want to bring on board more easily.

Super Shuttle also has a private car service, Execucar that picks you up in a van. The cost from the pier to LAX was $54 for one to four passengers when we last used them about 18 months ago.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Folks, the OP from Scotland may not have a choice but to stay at the aforementioned hotel at LAX. Most of the time their trip price includes air and hotel along with their cruise.

Wouldn't such a package normally also include xfer to the ship?

Edited by caribill

• 3 weeks later...

Not to be Long Beach centric, but the downtown area in Long Beach offers a better variety of hotels, restaurants, etc.... just a better experience than San Pedro IMO. And much nicer than the LAX area! The taxi to the ship is a mere 10 minutes across the bridges, probably $25 top. Most of the nicer hotels are along Ocean Blvd.

This site has a tonne of information: http://www.visitlongbeach.com/

Have a great cruise!

Look at Execucar. It's the private car service of Super Shuttle.

taxifarefinder.com will give you an approximate taxi fare, including tip of 15%. Use LAX and USS Iowa for your start/end points.

Edited by SadieN

This is the shuttle website I book with. But you will have to get yourself back to LAX. They are a "clearinghouse" for Prime Time. $20 for the first passenger and $14 each additional. I use them every time I go to LAX. $20 from anywhere in their large service area.

http://shuttletolax.com/?gclid=CNmuzd-av60CFasaQgodlAmTAA

Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance

Tony

hi tony we have just returned from LA.

your in the hands of the locals and taxi prices are regulated so you will be fine,usually most hotels run shuttles enjoy your cruise and watchout for the jet lag.:eek::)

Not to be Long Beach centric, but the downtown area in Long Beach offers a better variety of hotels, restaurants, etc.... just a better experience than San Pedro IMO. And much nicer than the LAX area! The taxi to the ship is a mere 10 minutes across the bridges, probably $25 top. Most of the nicer hotels are along Ocean Blvd.

This site has a tonne of information: http://www.visitlongbeach.com/

Have a great cruise!

Long Beach (waterfront/downtown and not in the industrial area) is pretty nice. Anyone sailing out of San Pedro would need to make sure that their driver (taxi or shuttle) knows to take them to the Port of Los Angeles and not to the Port of Long Beach (which has one berth which is usually used exclusively by Carnival). LAX hotels are in a strip mall environment, and I would take the word "strip" literally.

your in the hands of the locals and taxi prices are regulated so you will be fine,usually most hotels run shuttles enjoy your cruise and watchout for the jet lag.:eek::)

One thing to be aware of is that it's quite a distance between LAX and the port. So an airport hotel may shuttle you from LAX to the hotel, but will not to the Port.

I would suggest what one poster said: jump on Supershuttle (or reserve Execu-car for an exclusive vehicle) and head to a hotel in San Pedro, such as the Doubletree or the Crowne Plaza. If you're hungry, it'll be easier to get a meal or late snack, and in the morning, if you want to make a quick trip to buy wine or other items for your cruise, you'll be close to grocery stores (Vons) and some drug stores -- you can actually buy wine at the Vons and maybe CVS, Rite Aid, etc. -- and take care of that and then board a free shuttle to the port.

I wouldn't take a shuttle if it were free. Some private forms of transportation are only a few dollars more. But to each his own.:)

I second that emotion. I would also recommend Apex Transportation 1-800-359-1800 (you can also book online) for a private car or SUV. We use them for transportation to and from the port from our home near the port. That should run about $75 plus tip. Their vehicles are almost always in tip top shape - over 10 years we've had one that rattled a bit. The drivers are prompt and courteous.

Also just ask at the front desk when you check in to your hotel. Because of your long flight here, I'd say stick with ES and deal with getting to the port in the morning. You can leave your hotel at noon and get there in less than an hour (although I'd go earlier to start the best part of the vacation:D).

While that's true in a lot of ports like FLL for example, it is NOT true for LAX hotels. It's a very long trip to the port from LAX.

As of last year, the fare was $57 USD per taxi from the airport to the ship for up to 3 passengers.

I know when I land after an international flight, a hotel bed sounds wonderful. If you have a reservation already near LAX, you could keep it and still get to San Pedro in time in the morning. I'm voting taxi since they are easy to find and pretty reliable.

After your flight you will want sleep and a hot shower to deal with the time change... ( I used to commute LAX to Europe monthly) Getting to San Pedro is just going to be several hours of stress.

First priority get to hotel and rest... you will have almost another 24 hours before the ship departs

Now San Pedro, or "Pedro" as it is know localy is not a nice place to be... pretty grotty like the poorest sections of Glasgow and well know for crime, down and dirty bars and hotels "you can rent by the hour". Not a place to explore on foot.. ( No way you'd catch me there after dark)

Fares I have seen are around $100-110 one way with tip.... you can get a limo way better than a cab for cheaper and more comfort.

The area around the airport is way safer and the Embassy suites has a free shuttle... one less expense .

No to pedro