Advice please - moved to different cabin

sc71

Thanks for the ongoing advice, everyone here is so helpful and supportive. Takes the edge off the frustration :)

The cabin we had was 2105. It was selected specifically for the larger balcony but most importantly for the proximity to the smoking area for my mother who has mobility issues. They have randomly placed us in 2145.

I have called again this morning and reinforced my request to speak with the supervisor. That was two hours ago and I was told that she was away from her desk (again) but they promised a call back.

I would be royally cheesed off with that. They've put you in a cabin with a smaller balcony and its under the buffet area too, which I have personally noted as being noisy. I'd persevere with writing to Michael Bailey. Good luck! Just out of interest which ship and sail date is it?

Phil

Thanks for the ongoing advice, everyone here is so helpful and supportive. Takes the edge off the frustration :)

The cabin we had was 2105. It was selected specifically for the larger balcony but most importantly for the proximity to the smoking area for my mother who has mobility issues. They have randomly placed us in 2145.

I have called again this morning and reinforced my request to speak with the supervisor. That was two hours ago and I was told that she was away from her desk (again) but they promised a call back.

Ok, now if this was me, I'd be asking for the supervisor's DIRECT LINE. No more bull. And if they're refusing to give you the supervisor again, ask for the supervisor's supervisor. You definitely deserve more than a feeble OBC, especially since it was Celebrity's screw up.

OMG - 2105 - same thing happened to us with that cabin!!!! We lost it in a different situation but I was fit to be tied. We were on the Eclipse and were booking the cabin for the next year. I paid attention to that cabin on the internet and it was always available so I immediately (on the first day on board) went to the sales office and booked the cabin. The following day I went to pay the deposit and the agent told me that she forgot to put a hold on that cabin and it got booked by another party. I told her to get a hold of the people and tell them that a mistake was made - she wouldn't do it because it was booked from another ship.

I called everyone that would listen to me - to no avail. Lots of sympathy, but that was it. They wouldn't give me a credit or an upgrade - absolutely nothing.

We wanted 2105 because it was close to the elevator and had the larger balcony - I was cruising with my 88 year old mother.

It boils my blood just recalling it! I wish you luck.

Frustrating as this is (and I feel for the OP), there is no official recourse to be had - although I certainly feel Celebrity could do more than they are doing. Here is the wording from the cruise contract (I added the bold):

a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or o the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

You will never get that nice cabin back, but I would keep fighting for a comparable cabin more mid-ship due to the elderly passenger issue, even if it is an upgrade. Unfortunately, the only upgrade other than AQ or suite is a C1, and I would guess the prime ones are all taken by now as they go first. Alternatively, if location is so important, I would suggest going down to a regular balcony if you can find one mid-ship. The CC benefits are not all that great IMHO, and the rooms are the same size, so there would not be a lot lost. Obviously, I would expect to get a refund of the price difference plus the OBC they originally offered. I have had this happen to me as well, and it was very frustrating. In the end, we got nothing, so I would have been happy to get some OBC. But I do feel your frustration.

This has been discussed on the RCCL boards many times also and the original bookers were never satisfied.

As dz9 pointed out, even though it is their mistake, they would much prefer one set of disgruntled passengers than two.

Try for the upgrade.

I constantly look at my booking all year long because of this issue. I have a similar cabin coming up next week...all is well..TG!

Edited by BecciBoo

I would be absolutely livid...

2105 is indeed an excellent Concierge Cabin (Port Side, oversized balcony 1st off "the hump") ... Truly a prime piece of S-Class Real Estate.

By comparison 2145, which is just a regular Concierge Cabin (Port Side, way aft) with a regular sized balcony, and MILES from the Elevators vs where 2105 was (on S-Class Ships there are no aft elevators)

Although what PHOENIX DREAM has stated above is correct (Your Cruise Contract says they can in effect do this) in no way would I let them easily off the hook

They screwed up your booking... By cancelling it, Gave away your cabin, and need to do better than offer you 2145

I'd be looking for something better using your Mother's Health Situation as leverage here. Not that she is "handicapped" per se, but chances are some of the Accessible cabins that are usually well located, oversized, and sit empty until dang near sailing are available (at which time they sell them off via Guarantees or let others just book into them)

As someone else suggested, I would do some serious homework regarding what is still available on the ship (there are booking websites that can show you the entire category / deck plan, and the empty ones will "blink"). Then I would calmly draft a list of what it is you would like to happen (bearing in mind 2105 is not going to)... What are your priorities? Cabin Location - Cabin Size - or Cabin Category.

From a financial POV it costs Celebrity very little to give you an Upgraded Cabin, or other "concrete" perks (ie Specialty Dining). It does cost them something very real to give you OBC, cruise credit, or your being a non-happy non-returning customer

They have done wrong by you... They need to make it right

But you have to also (sadly) be willing to negotiate

Good luck

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

If it happened once why can't it happen again where Celebrity accidentally cancels the current booking to correct what they messed up?

Two wrongs don't make a right but this one would.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Today's update - waited all day Saturday for the return phone call from the supervisor, no call was received. Called this morning and was once again told that the supervisor "was not at her desk". At this point, the calm and courteous me lost her cool and got quite upset with the person on the phone, explaining that this was very dishonourable and frankly unethical treatment of a paying customer. At this point the person on the phone requested I hold and the next thing I know I have the supervisor on the phone.

She had told me that they would not be able to offer an upgrade due to "pricing of cabins". I reiterated the issue of the location of the cabin and pointed out a suite in a comparable location that was available. She stated that at this time they will work to try to "move" the occupants of the other cabins in the area of 2105. I suggested that as these cabins are prime real estate in that cabin category I don't believe they will have any luck and in the meantime, any other cabins that may be available in a proper location will get booked. She said they have to go this step first.

I listed some salient points that previous posters have mentioned (I have not yet mentioned cruisecritic to them), such as trying to honour the original booking, but that did not get me anywhere.

I will keep everyone updated, I appreciate all the thoughts and advice, it is helpful. I have not yet heard back from the "contactmichael" email, but will let you all know if I do.

Edited by sc71

If they give the original, rightful owners back their cabin, they will only have ONE set of disgruntled passengers - the second ones. The first ones will be happy again.

But there will be 2 groups who had dissatisfaction. Now the new occupants are happy as clams, and could care less.

Moving them, now has 2 threads on cruise critic about unhappy people.

I doubt very seriously that X is going to swap the new for the old occupants. It's far better just to take a deep breath and move on and accept what's been offered and chuck it up to experience. let the anxiety slip away. An offer of OBC in any amount is actually a decent offer.

X can relocate people for any reason at any time, though it happens rarely, it does happen, be it for good reasons or due to a reservation error. Though in practice it's very, very rarely done.

The best advice to you is to use open cabin websites to locate alternate available cabins on your sailing, and ask X to relocate to one of those, within your assigned cabin category, or ask for a lower category that has the best location, and accept a refund on the fare difference. If you provide ship and sailing date, many of us would be happy to provide a list of options for you.

You have to decide if the cabin location is the most important (seems it is as you say it's for an elderly person with mobility issues) or the size of the veranda is more important.

Edited by cle-guy

I think you're doing what you can, and should give them until near the end of the day tomorrow. If you don't hear by mid afternoon tomorrow from contactmichael, I would email them again.

When did they promise they would be back in touch with you regarding moving someone else in the area of the cabin you wanted? If they don't meet the deadline they promised, I would be back in touch again, right at the deadline. Communication is key to satisfaction.

I would also fight back on the price difference to the suite. It is the least they can really do. Also, the cabin you booked is also now, likely more, but they're still booking you into that, not downgrading you to a cabin that is now priced at what you paid. They also offered OBC, you could try and have them up the OBC, so it makes up for the difference in a higher level cabin, and just upgrade yourself, using the OBC for the difference.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Since you mentioned your mother had mobility issues, are there any HC cabins that would be in a good position/larger than what you already booked yet considered the same category.

I can't believe Celebrity is not upgrading you since it was THEIR error.

But there will be 2 groups who had dissatisfaction. Now the new occupants are happy as clams, and could care less.

Moving them, now has 2 threads on cruise critic about unhappy people.

I doubt very seriously that X is going to swap the new for the old occupants. It's far better just to take a deep breath and move on and accept what's been offered and chuck it up to experience. let the anxiety slip away. An offer of OBC in any amount is actually a decent offer.

X can relocate people for any reason at any time, though it happens rarely, it does happen, be it for good reasons or due to a reservation error. Though in practice it's very, very rarely done.

The best advice to you is to use open cabin websites to locate alternate available cabins on your sailing, and ask X to relocate to one of those, within your assigned cabin category, or ask for a lower category that has the best location, and accept a refund on the fare difference. If you provide ship and sailing date, many of us would be happy to provide a list of options for you.

You have to decide if the cabin location is the most important (seems it is as you say it's for an elderly person with mobility issues) or the size of the veranda is more important.

Re: the bolded part.

That usually happens when someone has booked a handicapped accessible cabin and has no need of it, but a new booking does. Any other time I've seen it happen, it's when I've read it on here about people being moved and it's been Celebrity's error. And Celebrity NEVER corrects the error and NEVER puts the people back in their originally booked cabin.

People book specific cabins for a reason. Period. If a cabin is booked and someone else would like to have it, tough. At least that's how it should be.

Right now someone else is benefiting from Celebrity's screw up. That, to me, is not only horrible public relations, but it's flat out wrong. if it was me, I'm moving way up the food chain until I got satisfaction. I am not exactly the shy retiring type. :)

I am so sorry this has happened to you and to your family.

I just returned from the Silhouette where I had the last inside cabin at the far aft of the ship. I sometimes walk with a cane, depending on how much my cranky back and hips are acting up. It really is a bit of a walk back there, which I normally don't mind as I appreciate the exercise, but depending on what your mother's mobility issues are, it could affect her overall enjoyment of the cruise. You sure don't want to have forgotten anything and have to go back for it.

I hope you get a successful resolution to this dilemma. If you are not initially able to get a cabin that your mother will be thrilled with, remember that there is often quite a bit of cabin change that takes place in the six weeks before final payment, as people cancel their cruises, or upgrade their cabins. We have almost always been able to improve our cabin location in those final weeks by checking the cabin inventory every day. If you see a cabin that your mom would prefer, you can call in to Captain's Club and ask to have her cabin changed to the new location. If it's the same cabin category as she already has, there will be no cost for the change.

I wish you the very best of luck, and hope that you and your family have a wonderful cruise.

Maybe it wasn't a mistake on the part of Celebrity? Maybe somebody from the "office" wanted that cabin?

It would made me very mad if this have happened to me... I would call resolution dept and would not get of the phone, till I get my cabin back.

I think Celebrity's treatment of you and this whole matter is appalling. First, you lose a cabin that you specifically booked for a specific reason, due to a mistake on their end. To make matters worse, they move you to a cabin that's not even comparable - smaller balcony and what sounds like will be very noisy. And it sounds like you have been given the brush off with countless promises of returned phone calls that you haven't received, hoping you will just go away with your little OBC.

I would dig my heels in on this one. I don't think you will get your original cabin back either for the reasons everyone has stated, but I think you deserve a better cabin than you had and certainly a fair better one than they've tried to palm off on you. Somebody needs to make their mistake right for you.

I find it very odd that the CC rep has not weighed in on this one. Despite someone else saying it is not ok to contact them preemptively, my opinion is that it is ok, and I would have done it (at least she knows WHO to contact. While you sent an e-mail to the top who knows who really sees those). I've found the CC rep on this board to be very sincere and anxious to help out with these sticky situations, and if by some chance this thread has simply not caught her eye, I would bring it to her attention.

I feel sorry for the OP, I truly do. It happened to me once, and we got no satisfaction either, so I know how it feels. Ours was also a nice larger balcony cabin, to a regular balcony cabin - and we got nothing for the move - no OBC - nothing. But the bottom line is that they don't have to do anything at all for you. The fact that they gave you an OBC is a perk. From a realistic standpoint, to expect to be moved from a CC room to a suite is asking a lot. It's just not going to happen IMHO. And yes, sadly, it is very possible that the move was not actually a 'mistake'. We got moved because they had a large group booking and wanted a block of rooms - we were in one of them. They moved us - too bad; so sad. To each their own, but I would come up with an alternate available room that is in an acceptable location, and then propose that to them, along with the OBC they offered.

I think the idea of asking for a handicapped room is not out of line as the mother has some mobility issues. I usually stand strongly in favor of not taking advantage of those rooms, but this is a special circumstance and it is an elderly person with challenges. I strongly recommend deciding what is more important to you - space or location. If the latter then pick a mid-ship balcony of whatever type and move there. If it is cheaper, ask for a refund of the difference. Losing CC is truly not that big a deal as far as perks, it just isn't. It is understandably very frustrating but I guess I would ask how much fight is worth it. At some point, one needs to accept that it is what it is. I know some people prefer to fight and fight and fight and I understand the anger, but I guess at some point (you decide what that point is), you have to accept it and move on. Can I put it in another perspective that will no doubt inflame some? It is a move from a very nice room on a wonderful ship on a wonderful cruise to a somewhat less nice room on a wonderful ship on a wonderful cruise. I know a lot of people who would love to have that problem. Just something to keep in mind through this understandably frustrating situation.:) I wish the OP luck and hope they find a solution that satisfies them

I find it very odd that the CC rep has not weighed in on this one. Despite someone else saying it is not ok to contact them preemptively, my opinion is that it is ok, and I would have done it (at least she knows WHO to contact. While you sent an e-mail to the top who knows who really sees those). I've found the CC rep on this board to be very sincere and anxious to help out with these sticky situations, and if by some chance this thread has simply not caught her eye, I would bring it to her attention.

Except, this thread was started on a Friday afternoon (Halloween, some people leave early to be with kids). It's now Monday, a very busy day in any customer facing office. I still say give them until tomorrow to catch up and triage. While this is not right, the sailing is not for a few more months and there are still immediate, onboard issues to be dealt with, and for sailings leaving much sooner.

I happen also to agree with phoenix_dream :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I book far in advance to get the cabin I want and if this happened to me I would tell Celebrity that I will cancel and then book with Princess or HAL if they don't give back the cabin or a better one. Get Mom a scooter.