Advice please - moved to different cabin

sc71

Hi all,

To answer one question - our sailing date is March 6th.

To answer the other posts - I have been told in clear terms that there is no way that they will move the current occupants of 2105 and give us back what we originally booked.

I have come to terms with this and am now basically just looking for Celebrity to set this right in a way that seems fair. I have not asked for anything outright except my original cabin booking. What they decide to offer, if anything, will be up to them. Will we end up happy and content? I'll be happy to celebrate alongside my mother for her 70th birthday. Will we be happy with X? That remains to be seen.

Thank you all for voicing many of the thoughts and expressions that I have in my own head - it helps make me not feel totally crazy :o

Sheesh; I'm disappointed by this response. Why must Celebrity keep shooting itself in the foot? We all know that there are preferable balconies within that cabin class. If there is truly no difference, then it should be no problem giving back the original cabin and putting the later bookers into 2103!

I still have confidence they will "fix" this, but now they've gone and lost more good will. Not good business move, IMHO.

Jane

PS I feel badly for "Celebrity Cruises" social media rep. I would not want to be in this position. I have personally experienced being in a similar position in a customer-facing position. Frustrating position to be in, even when the corporation usually ends up making good in the long run! Glad we aren't shooting the messenger.

This isn't the ending we were looking for. Can you please send me an email to concerns@celebrity.com with your reservation number and a number you can be reached at. I'm aware that I already asked for this information, but I want to see what else we can do to rectify this. Thank you.

Hi all,

To answer the other posts - I have been told in clear terms that there is no way that they will move the current occupants of 2105 and give us back what we originally booked.

I have come to terms with this and am now basically just looking for Celebrity to set this right in a way that seems fair. I have not asked for anything outright except my original cabin booking. What they decide to offer, if anything, will be up to them. Will we end up happy and content? I'll be happy to celebrate alongside my mother for her 70th birthday. Will we be happy with X? That remains to be seen.

Thank you all for voicing many of the thoughts and expressions that I have in my own head - it helps make me not feel totally crazy :o

If that is Equinox then 1243 is still available. Right by the elevators, two decks up to the smoking area, under cabins so noise not an issue and it has the same size balcony as 2105. I've been in the same cabin on the other side. Nice location. You might want to try and switch to that one. Just something to consider.

Phil

Great visual! As far as the swap, that is totally Celebrity's problem -- not the OP's! They keeping blowing opportunities to engender good will.

Celebrity admits that they made the error, so it's up to Celebrity to keep the OP satisfied. They clearly know that the 2 balconies are not equivalent, or this would be a non-issue.

Not sure why I feel so invested in the outcome, but this really has me worked up. Should be an easy fix. Why, oh why, can't the pre-sailing customer service be half as efficient as that on board?

Trust me, I completely agree with you. I was just stating why I think they won't just swap them out- because from a business person's perspective; it doesn't actually solve anything.

I'm (like you) invested in the outcome as well. Mostly because it happened to me, and I had to have my TA fight like hell for X to make it right. And while others disagreed with me- I do know that if even a small/mid size travel company can flex muscles and get things set right- then I'm hoping the same for the OP. And it's honestly disheartening to realize from earlier posts- this does happen more than you'd think. Seems to always be cabins that are 'desirable' too.....

As previously stated, after some negotiating with higher ups, X upgraded us from a c class(now a c-1) to a sky suite. Initially they offered me alot including ob credit, similiar, but identical cabin, the originally reserved cabin for the following cruise (we already had purchased air), etc but since it was X's error who would not remove the pax from the cabin we originally had given a deposit and had a confirmation for, I thought this was the only fair way.

Hi all,

Don't worry- you're not crazy. I was a LIVID when it happened to me. And even though I let my TA handle it, I will say X didn't go out of their way to really offer a lot to rectify it. I really felt like we had to fight and still are fighting over the OBC issue.

And it looks like the X rep is still trying to reach out to you- so that is a good sign.

Edited by sperkins921

As previously stated, after some negotiating with higher ups, X upgraded us from a c class(now a c-1) to a sky suite. Initially they offered me alot including ob credit, similar, but identical cabin, the originally reserved cabin for the following cruise (we already had purchased air), etc but since it was X's error who would not remove the pax from the cabin we originally had given a deposit and had a confirmation for, I thought this was the only fair way.

Your outcome was similar to mine, which is why I couldn't understand when someone said that to think the OP should get a SS was ridiculous. We were going from an A1, so our 'upgrade' wasn't even that big of a jump. Of course, our cruise final payment hasn't happened yet (sail date is in Feb) and the price of the room we're in now has doubled, but still.

For those that like visuals, I found this on a thread here on CC. The photo is not mine, and is of the other side of the ship, but we can now see the balcony differences. I'd love to hear X come back and say they were the same ;)

(photo belonged to groryjm)

Equinox%20hump.JPG

In this photo 2106=2105 and 2104=2103. OP originally had 2105, and is now being given 2013.

I doubt they will just swap-a-roo the OP and the new cabin inhabitants- because while it solves OP's problem....it creates one with the new people. So robbing Peter to pay Paul, and it doesn't actually erase the debt. You can bet if the OP is (rightfully so) incensed about being moved the new people will be too. I'd say chances are good that they too booked the room for the larger balcony.

I've been watching this thread for a few days now and totaly sympathise with the OP some cabins are better than others and we all do the research and book early to get the best we can. To have such a prime bit of real estate whiped away and then X not even recognising that there is difference between the two is just simply laughable. Since they usually do so well (with the exeption of their website:eek:) I hope X can get this bit of very visible bit of PR right.

I booked 1638 on the Reflection (which is the equivalent of1618 on the Equinox as shown here) over a year in advance and would be LIVID if they mucked that booking:mad:.

PS wave to my DW and DD in 1620:)

Edited by groryjm

Hi all,

Please take "Celebrity Cruises" social media rep up on the offer to try, one last time, to fix this. Your sound like a very wonderful daughter & niece who doesn't want to "make waves" (pun intended), but one last squeak should be worth your while

from Celebrity Cruises: This isn't the ending we were looking for. Can you please send me an email to concerns@celebrity.com with your reservation number and a number you can be reached at. I'm aware that I already asked for this information, but I want to see what else we can do to rectify this. Thank you.
Edited by JaneStarr

Please take "Celebrity Cruises" social media rep up on the offer to try, one last time, to fix this. You sound like a very wonderful daughter & niece who doesn't want to "make waves" (pun intended), but one last squeak should be worth your while

awww, thank you JaneStarr!

I have sent the requested email to "Celebrity Cruises" with written thanks for continuing to follow our saga.

Thank you to each of you who has weighed in. You are truly a great community! I will update all when (hopefully) there is something to tell you.

Good morning all,

Well, here's my update - have spoken again with the rep from Michael Bailey's "office" who told me that they have booked us into cabin 2103, next door to our original cabin of 2105.

I noted that the location of this cabin is perfect for my mother and meets the needs as previously outlined. However, our original carefully selected cabin of 2105, which was chosen after much research (most on cruisecritic, due to the "little bit of extra" in the size of the balcony. The new cabin selected for us does not have this balcony size. The rep felt that as the requirements for location were met, that she was "thrilled" to have been able to get this cabin for us. I completely agreed that the location is excellent, but still feel that we are not receiving what we had booked and lost, through no fault of our own.

The rep has stated that she will contact the "ship" and have them physically measure the size of the two balconies to determine if there is actually a large difference in the size. She outlined that Celebrity has made all cabins equal within a category and if there is only a minimal square footage of difference, then the cabin is comparable.

I have suggested that perhaps some of the same research be done on cabin 2105 versus 2103, as most ship passengers would do when booking.

At this time, I am now waiting to hear on whether there is a difference in the size of the balcony. I do not know what the outcome will be if the difference is proven to be significant, as I believe it should be.

Thank you for continuing to give your input.

I am amazed that this issue was handed over to a Celebrity rep who had SO little knowledge of what is really a fundamental issue on Solstice-class ships....and that is the different balcony sizes of non-suite cabins.

Below are some photos of the three main sizes of non-suite balconies. The first three photos are of the same balcony (AQ 1552, a starboard forward hump balcony on the Solstice). This is the largest of the three balcony types, often known as "first off the hump" and would be the same size as the balcony of the cabin you originally booked.

i-qwjKTNq-L.jpg

i-cLrQ5kj-L.jpg

i-BtV9CJv-M.jpg

The photo below shows a comparison between the two larger hump balconies. Your mom's original cabin would have a balcony the same size as in the photo numbered "1"

15i2995-L.jpg

The photos below are of a standard Solstice-class balcony. It is a nice size for a cruise ship balcony, but certainly is not even close to the size of the largest hump balcony, which is what you had booked.

Standard%20Balcony%2002-XL.jpg

Solstice%20Veranda%20Cabin-L.jpg

Thanks to CC poster "Beyondships" for the last photo. The first three photos are mine, and I'm sorry, but I don't have the provenance for photos 4 and 5.

Edited by elena7seas

I am glad that Celebrity has found you a stateroom in your preferred location. I hope they are still including the previous incentive offers for your trouble?

The first day you arrive in your cabin, I'd search out the new occupants of your previous stateroom and give them the evil eye. :rolleyes: Spend tons of time on your balcony, too! Once they find out that you were the original occupants to their stateroom, that should make them very uncomfortable and they may just stay inside! hahaha

I am sorry that after a week of leaving you dangling, this is the best Celebrity could offer you. I have been in both the smaller and larger hump balconies, and there is definitely a difference in size.

As a rule I pick my cabins very carefully. I will in future watch my bookings carefully to make sure something like this doesn't happen to me. I would be very upset.

I hope you contact Celebrity's social media rep and they can do something better for you. You deserve it.

I am glad that Celebrity has found you a stateroom in your preferred location. I hope they are still including the previous incentive offers for your trouble?

The first day you arrive in your cabin, I'd search out the new occupants of your previous stateroom and give them the evil eye. :rolleyes: Spend tons of time on your balcony, too! Once they find out that you were the original occupants to their stateroom, that should make them very uncomfortable and they may just stay inside! hahaha

And what did the new cabin occupiers do to deserve this? X screwed up. The new people just booked an "available" cabin that shouldn't have been shown as available. And I am all for the OP getting a cabin with the larger balcony to enjoy celebrating her mom's birthday.

A question for everyone and be honest here: IF you were the new passengers in this cabin and you discovered that the person who had booked it months ago lost it because of Celebrity's error, would you "give it back" to her or would consider her "SOL"?

Speaking for myself, I could not in good conscience keep it. At the same time, because of Celebrity's error, I would expect something in return from Celebrity to give it back to the original passenger. Would I NOT return it if Celebrity said "no" to that request? No, but I would be very disappointed and it might be my last Celebrity cruise. So while I would lose "preferred cabin", and I would definitely be very upset, I could not be the one to prevent someone who had "first dibs" from taking it back. It just wouldn't be right, IMO.

A question for everyone and be honest here: IF you were the new passengers in this cabin and you discovered that the person who had booked it months ago lost it because of Celebrity's error, would you "give it back" to her or would consider her "SOL"?

Speaking for myself, I could not in good conscience keep it. At the same time, because of Celebrity's error, I would expect something in return from Celebrity to give it back to the original passenger. Would I NOT return it if Celebrity said "no" to that request? No, but I would be very disappointed and it might be my last Celebrity cruise. So while I would lose "preferred cabin", and I would definitely be very upset, I could not be the one to prevent someone who had "first dibs" from taking it back. It just wouldn't be right, IMO.

I totally agree with everything you just said. However, they also have been damaged by Celebrity's mistake and should receive some kind of compensation. My next two cruises are both in "1st off the hump" cabins that I had booked far in advance. If I lost them I would be very upset.

Pretty sure I'd do the right thing and give it back, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

The thing we don't know is how this happened in the first place. Could Celebrity, perhaps, have done this intentionally to free up adjoining cabins for the later booker's family or some similar scenario???

Even though the website/IT department would be a reasonable place to assume fault, there really might be different explanation.

We really don't need to know the details, as long as Celebrity makes things right by original customer.

Jane

Kevin, I agree with your philosophical question and have been wondering the same thing myself. I have come to my own conclusion that no matter what happens, the last thing I want is anyone to feel the same frustration that I am feeling. So, I truly hope the new occupants, who just booked an available cabin as someone else said, enjoy their cruise in full. They did nothing wrong either.

To that end, I have received a follow up call this afternoon from the previous rep I spoke to. She is offering the following:

• Cabin 2103
  • Remove the previously offered OBC
  • Apply the new 123Go inclusive promo to our current booking.

We already were benefiting from the free beverage package. This current offer will add free gratuities and $300 OBC. She has allowed us the weekend to consider and I will speak with her on Monday. I did ask what would the outcome be if my mother decided that this was not acceptable. She said they will wait to hear from the "ship" on the difference in the size of the balcony and review. She then stated that it would not be "as good" as this offer.

This has become more of a principle issue for me and I'm not sure that the "principle" issue will ever feel resolved. It's also been a pretty crappy week at work, so perhaps I'm just feeling the compounding of the issue.

Thank you for letting me vent a little in this post :o

I like everyone else, would give it back, but I would expect fair compensation for the hassle.

I agree that we don't need to know the reasons, and we probably wouldn't get them anyway- but there is something strange about this situation. There was something strange about it in every case where it's happened to myself and the others that have said it happened to them.

Either way, X has some hefty damage control on it's hands. They either compensate the OP and leave the new people where they are, or give OP what she wants (which we know X won't do- move OP back into their original cabin) and have to compensate the new people.

I don't see a way to not have to compensate someone either way.

Kevin, I agree with your philosophical question and have been wondering the same thing myself. I have come to my own conclusion that no matter what happens, the last thing I want is anyone to feel the same frustration that I am feeling. So, I truly hope the new occupants, who just booked an available cabin as someone else said, enjoy their cruise in full. They did nothing wrong either.

To that end, I have received a follow up call this afternoon from the previous rep I spoke to. She is offering the following:

• Cabin 2103

We already were benefiting from the free beverage package. This current offer will add free gratuities and $300 OBC. She has allowed us the weekend to consider and I will speak with her on Monday. I did ask what would the outcome be if my mother decided that this was not acceptable. She said they will wait to hear from the "ship" on the difference in the size of the balcony and review. She then stated that it would not be "as good" as this offer.

This has become more of a principle issue for me and I'm not sure that the "principle" issue will ever feel resolved. It's also been a pretty crappy week at work, so perhaps I'm just feeling the compounding of the issue.

What about 2108? Is it available? That would be like #2 in the photos above....

So the offer is another mid-ship cabin of the same category, with a slightly smaller balcony, the addition of gratuities and an additional OBC of $300. Did I get that right? Call me a bit cranky and flame away if you want to, but that seems like a more than fair deal to me. I can't imagine needing to think it over. It's mid-ship - check. It's right by the elevator so easy access to wherever, and in fact the smoking area is a very short walk away - check. The room category is the same - check. The balcony is bigger than normal (albeit not quite what you had) - check. The perks are much nicer than you had - checkmate. My opinion (and as I have stated - yes, I have been in this situation so I am not speaking without experience, nor without sympathy for the original problem)

{{{Snip}}}

• Cabin 2103

Something about the way you are being "handled" is really bugging me. It does feel "crappy". Can't put my finger on it, exactly, but it sounds like Celebrity feels they are doing you a favor.

Are you past final payment for this cruise?

If not, I suggest you check current prices for your cabin category and compare it to what you paid. If current price is close to the amount you paid, you would've been entitled to reprice your Concierge cabin with the promo anyway. Just curious what kind of "favor" they think they are offering you for taking away your selected cabin.

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr

A question for everyone and be honest here: IF you were the new passengers in this cabin and you discovered that the person who had booked it months ago lost it because of Celebrity's error, would you "give it back" to her or would consider her "SOL"?.

I wouldn't swap. I'd wonder of the guest claiming to have had an issue is just a little bit insane or off kilter honestly, to try to bring such things to my attention.

The ONLY way the new occupant would find out is by some crazy coming and knocking and saying "you stole my cabin". creepers. I'd call security immediately and ask that that person be monitored, and kept away from me.

What joy or satisfaction could anyone possibly get out of trying to ruin someones vacation on the first day, thru a scenario that that person had no idea was an issue to begin with? Why try to guilt someone over something they had no knowledge of?

When did people stop learning how to forgive and forget, to accept some things as reality, and to just roll with things that happen. The cruise contract is clear that you are not entitled to any specific cabin booked, we all agree to that, regardless of why a cabin swap happens. But some folks just like to expect some parts of that contract to be enforced, while pretending clauses as this one simply don't exist.

Cabins swaps suck, it happens very rarely, and losing 2 feet of veranda space can't possibly ruin anyones vacation. Being moved to an inside or ocean view, might put a damper on it, but simply getting a smaller sandbox to play in isn't really a reason to throw sand in the neighbors face and go away crying about it.

So the offer is another mid-ship cabin of the same category, with a slightly smaller balcony, the addition of gratuities and an additional OBC of $300. Did I get that right? Call me a bit cranky and flame away if you want to, but that seems like a more than fair deal to me. I can't imagine needing to think it over.

This call was received while I was at work, at 4 in the afternoon. The rep on the phone was leaving at 5 and I would require to confirm with my mother that she agreed with this offer. Therefore, there was no opportunity to confirm with mother at that time and the rep said "think it over through the weekend".

Edited by sc71

If that is Equinox then 1243 is still available. Right by the elevators, two decks up to the smoking area, under cabins so noise not an issue and it has the same size balcony as 2105. I've been in the same cabin on the other side. Nice location. You might want to try and switch to that one. Just something to consider.

Phil

I *think* this is a C2 vs the C1 that I think was booked (but maybe that is no longer the case since Celebrity has previously changed some of the categories in the past.

*If* 2105 is acceptable & still available, it would make sense to compare it's current price to that which was paid for 2105. Current price should be eligible for the 123 go all in, I believe. Not sure about whether this sailing also qualifies for the free additional passengers (if OP has her Mom & aunt in same cabin with her).

Makes sense to compare the prices and see what Celebrity can do.

What a mess they've created, and they just seem to keep making things worse. I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.

Jane