Traveling with Grandson to Europe - any special requirements?

doubleduty

We will be taking our 11 year old grandson with us on our Mediterranean cruise next year. He will, of course , have a passport. I was told a notarized permission slip from his parents was required to travel into Canada. Is there any similar requirement for travel to Europe?

Thanks for any info on this.

You probably need the notarized form to take him OUT of the US. Check with US Immigration & customs or the airline you're flying. Your TA and/or the cruise line may also have the necessary info.

If, by chance, the boy's parents are not together, You may need permission from both parents.

Have fun!

Besides any extra documentation needed to be a non-custodial guardian of the child out/back in of the US and in/out of any country you will be visiting (check EACH ONE), be sure to get a limited medical power-of-attorney set up for you so you may act on behalf of the child in a medical emergency.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. This may be more difficult than we thought as the parents are not together and the father may not sign for the passport. My daughter will be checking with the State Department on her options; the father has not been around for most of my Grandson's life (in prison for most of the time but may be getting out in Feb 2015). Parents never married but father's name is on the birth certificate. There is a no contact/restraining order in place. Well, at least we have time to sort this out since the cruise is June 2015. My grandson did have a passport but it expired.