Upgrade Odds for Elite Cruiser...15 Days Away

SeaManInLA

I'm 15 days away from a departure on the Golden, and while I understand that upgrades are rare, it actually seems possible this time--and I'm curious if anyone agrees.

I booked this a few days ago, and chose a balcony guarantee simply because the rate was super low, and there was a $200 onboard credit, which makes it nearly a free cruise. So, frankly, I'd be happy with most any balcony...I wouldn't be thrilled about the ones On Emerald near the stepped-up portion of the Promenade, but I'd survive.

But, here's the thing...almost ALL the full suites are still available, and lots and lots of minis are too.

Since this will be nearing my 30th Princess cruise (usually sailing in Minisuites), it seems like they might be smart to get someone like me "used to" the idea of staying in a full suite, if it's just going to go empty.

You know how American Airlines (and most all of the big airlines) almost never take off with an empty seat in First Class. They like it to be full, so they find people the most worthy (by loyalty program or some random reason)and they upgrade them.

Does Princess usually depart with all its suites filled, even on less-filled journeys?

Thanks for any insight.

Typically Princess will first try to fill suites with upsells, rather than free upgrades. Whether or not you receive an upsell offer or upgrade has a lot more to do with the category you're currently booked into (and whether Princess can quickly resell that category) than your loyalty status.

While people seem to have this vision of someone sitting in an office carefully scrutinizing available cabins and who to upgrade, the reality is that it's almost completely done by the computers using yield management programs.

In my experience upgrades are given out to new cruisers. I don't think level has much to do with upgrades with Princess. They no longer need to impress you but want to hook the newby.

We got an upsell offer from a balcony to a suite on a recent Golden 4-day but didn't take it. I think it was about $200 pp. Didn't seem worth it, and I liked the balcony I had. I'm pretty sure my status had nothing to do with it.

Interesting. I have always assumed our "average onboard charge account per cruise" would be a figure a cruise line would take into account with past cruisers. And, yes...the "impressing a Newbie" theory sounds right as well.

And, yes, $200 more per person would be more than I'd be willing to on such a short cruise.

I would like to see where my balcony will be first.

How long before departure are they usually assigned? I'm usually a "covered mini on Emerald" guy, so I've never done a guarantee before.

We have never received an upsell call or email. But, we have received free upgrades on about 30% of the cruises we have taken with princess (we are up to 17 cruises since 2009).

Our very first cruise we booked two inside guarantee cabins and three days before the cruise we received a call asking us if we wanted to be upgraded to a family suite! That is the only full suite upgrade we have received. Since then we have been upgraded to ocean view cabins at least 3 or 4 times and a mini suite last May! We have been incredibly lucky.

Being Elite has absolutely nothing to do with being upgraded. It's done by Yield Management based on supply and demand. YM is far more likely to upgrade lower cabin types/categories because it's easier to re-sell these.

I've been given so-called "upgrades" four times. What Princess considers an upgrade is not my idea of an upgrade for a variety of reasons so be careful what you wish for. Three times, I was horrified at the "upgrade" and was able to get my original cabin back. I accepted one upgrade from a Baja balcony to a mid-ship mini-suite and while I appreciated the extra space, I hated the location. In retrospect, I would have been happier in my original cabin.

we are on a three day Golden on the 20th and we are in a balcony guarantee, last week we received an upsell to a full suite for $299 per person. That was a little too steep for us so we didn't take it, plus we are on a b2b

We have sailed 47 times with Princess but find that that has no bearing on what cabin we get assigned.

Seems they are doing more upsells than upgrades now.

Vickie

I was just moved from a Guaranteed BF to a BB on Baja deck, halfway between the front and midship elevators.

I'm good with that.

I wonder if they ever do upgrades after the initial assignment, or if once you're in a cabin you're locked for good.

I wonder if they ever do upgrades after the initial assignment, or if once you're in a cabin you're locked for good.

What they do is a complete mystery to mortals. :) I think you got a good cabin. Baja deck is not too far up and not too far down. ;)

What they do is a complete mystery to mortals. :) I think you got a good cabin. Baja deck is not too far up and not too far down. ;)

I agree...I'm happy with it. I just saw that they've given midship Caribe balconies a "Premium Balcony" categorization due to the size of the balconies. This may have happened a while ago since I've been mostly doing Minis. Too bad. That was always a nice treat you didn't used to have to pay extra for, that loyal passengers in-the-know could enjoy.

I'm booked on the Golden for the 14th in a Caribe balcony. I was out of town for the weekend in Vegas since thur. When I got back Sun night and read my e-mails, there was my very first upsell offer from Princess to a Suite w/balcony........... I missed the deadline to let them know. But, I won in Vegas and the hotel was comped, so no complaints from me. I just hope to someday get the upsell offer on one of my upcoming cruises....

We have now been on 30 Princess cruises and only once, early on, were we upgraded from a balcony to a full suite. I liked the jacuzzi.

A few other times we were upgraded from a balcony to a mini, and we are frequently upgraded to a higher class of balcony. On our last cruise, on the Golden, we were upgraded from the A710 (one of our favorite cabins) to the B423. I would have preferred to stay in our original cabin, but I guess it was a nice change.

Before they changed the cabin class assignments, we always booked the cheapest balcony guarantee and always got an upgrade. Now that they have so many cheapest cabins forward, and since the price for an aft cabin, which is what we prefer, is almost the same, we just book an aft cabin on Aloha right from the start and decline upgrades when they are offered.

I was just moved from a Guaranteed BF to a BB on Baja deck, halfway between the front and midship elevators.

I also booked a Guaranteed BF and was upgraded to a BB on Aloha Deck Midship right near the Panoramic lifts (A419). In theory this sounds good, but is it? Is it noisy by the elevator? Is it noisy being underneath the Lido deck? It's only for 3 nights/2 days and I'm definitely good with this, but does anyone have an opinion?

I also booked a Guaranteed BF and was upgraded to a BB on Aloha Deck Midship right near the Panoramic lifts (A419). In theory this sounds good, but is it? Is it noisy by the elevator? Is it noisy being underneath the Lido deck? It's only for 3 nights/2 days and I'm definitely good with this, but does anyone have an opinion?

It's funny you should ask...because I had just called Princess and they allowed me to switch my cabin to another BB on Aloha, also on the starboard side, just a few doors down from yours.

No, there will be no noise issues. I've stayed in this area before, perfect IMHO, because you can walk down the hall and exit at the Aft pool, or use the mid elevator or stairs very easily. We lucked out!

We love Aloha in the low 700s. We never notice any noise from the Lido deck or the elevators. Maybe we are both going deaf. :o

Thank you SeaManInLA and PunkiC for your feedback. I've never had a Princess balcony before (I just got off the Caribbean Princess two weeks ago with an obstructed oceanview and will NEVER do that again!) I like the idea of being able to walk to the aft pool, I like being able to just walk one deck up the Lido, and I like being mid-ship, so I guess it's all good. What's not to like? Thank you for the reassurance. I think we're on the same sailing, SeaManInLa, so maybe we'll run into each other.

Thank you SeaManInLA and PunkiC for your feedback. I've never had a Princess balcony before (I just got off the Caribbean Princess two weeks ago with an obstructed oceanview and will NEVER do that again!) I like the idea of being able to walk to the aft pool, I like being able to just walk one deck up the Lido, and I like being mid-ship, so I guess it's all good. What's not to like? Thank you for the reassurance. I think we're on the same sailing, SeaManInLa, so maybe we'll run into each other.

Sounds good. Have a great cruise!