$85.00 for a 1 liter bottle of Captain Morgan from Bon Voyage Shop.

Golfing Dan

Really? Really? This is sold in the ship gift shop for $12.00 per 1 liter bottle. Is it just me or does this pricing policy simply not make sense? No wonder there is so much contraband/smuggling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ah, the days you could just buy that bottle in the gift shop and take it back to your cabin.

Or even the days when the whole BV was some kind of secret, and it was $35.

Yep! It kinda sucks! I forget what we got a bottle of last time but it was too much...

Same story. 5x as much as what the gift shop charged. I guess they justify it by saying they still need to make a profit off of you. I guess if they charged $12 they wouldn't make a killing on drinks and everyone would do it and no one would buy drinks from the bar!

Agreed that they are overpriced but still a lot cheaper than paying for a drink at the bar. I can get a bottle of Vodka for $75. You get approximately 30 one ounce shots in a Liter, add tomato juice from room service, tabasco and pepper and have a bloody mary for around $2.50 a drink.

Looks like prices went up since last Dec. Sky vodka was $65, now it is $75. They are still cheaper than NCL which I believe charges $110 for a bottle of vodka.

Have to agree with Ready2, it's a bargain compared to what it would cost at the bars. I prefer Crown an if I drink just two doubles a day on a 7 day cruise that's about the equal of a liter. Bar cost, near about $300 bucks, BV cost $80, plus any left over can go home with me. A no brainer for me but to each their own.

the bon voyage pricing is outrageous, agreed.

That is outrageous. Totally. Yeah maybe it is cheaper if you look at the price as opposed to a bar drink, but you still have to make it yourself and buy a mixer. Not to mention drinking just one type of liquor the entire trip. Nothing justifies that inflated price IMO.

i agree. whatever the savings are - i sure as hell would not want to keep having to run back to the cabin to make a drink when i'm at the piano bar, club, etc. i'd rather pay for a drink at the bar...

to each their own, indeed. but the prices they charge are still outrageous in my opinion... and you have to have mixers like cruizin said, unless you like it neat (most don't)...

and for me, it's the convenience, i don't want to have to 'make my own' drink whenever i want one, and run back to the cabin to do it.

That's a choice you make when you have it.

We like to make our drinks and sit out on the balcony. To your point, it's a PITB to be in your cabin and to have to find a bar to make a drink and have to bring it back.

Really? Really? This is sold in the ship gift shop for $12.00 per 1 liter bottle. Is it just me or does this pricing policy simply not make sense? No wonder there is so much contraband/smuggling.

Let's see, 1 litre is about 34 ounces. So paying $85 of 34 ounces comes out to $2.50 per ounce. Not cheap, but better than buying a drink from the ship's bars. Sure it cost Carnival a fraction of that to buy the booze and they make lots of money on it but as good capitalists we should be celebrating that!;)

BTW that new $500 driver of yours didn't cost the manufacturer anywhere close to that to build. Tiger and Rory got a big cut of your $500! They and their Ferraris thank you.:D

That's a choice you make when you have it.

We like to make our drinks and sit out on the balcony. To your point, it's a PITB to be in your cabin and to have to find a bar to make a drink and have to bring it back.

i agree - drinks on the balcony is a great pleasure and something i enjoy as well...

and the PITB depends, i've had cabins on lido and a deck down and it wasn't that much a PITB, especially if buckets of beer are concerned :D

but i do get your point, and agree. but i maintain that the prices for bon voyage liquor are outrageous, especially as compared to 'what they used to be', what other lines charge (such as the previous post for princess prices), or what they sell the very same bottles for in the shops.

i agree. whatever the savings are - i sure as hell would not want to keep having to run back to the cabin to make a drink when i'm at the piano bar, club, etc. i'd rather pay for a drink at the bar..

and for me, it's the convenience, i don't want to have to 'make my own' drink when ever i want one, and run back to the cabin to do it.

I make my drink in a 52 ounce bubba keg. Usually 8 shots of booze in the drink. Lasts for hours.

Buy from BV

1 Lt of booze =30oz30oz / 3 days=10 drinks a day10 drinks / $25=$25 @day

$75 for the weekend

Buy from the ship bar

Cruise Bar[=FONT=Calibri]$8.50 + 15% tip[/font]=$8.63=10 drinks @day=$86.30=3 days on board

$258.90 for the weekend

NO BRAINER

Edited by jaxfl

Well then you should buy a bottle from Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Oh wait , you can't !

They don't sell bottles. And yes Carnival has greatly increased Bon Voyage prices.

So don't buy it. Easy.

Ah, the days you could just buy that bottle in the gift shop and take it back to your cabin.

Or even the days when the whole BV was some kind of secret, and it was $35.

I really can't believe it but I agree with you.

Simple Math. If they let everyone buy their bottles at the shop no one would buy it on board regular drinks. Like a bar it is calculated how many drinks would be sold for that bottle. Its simple business.

I had to explain this to my son for our cruise in December. After I explained he figured the math and said" He will just buy the drinks on the ship. He on't have to come up with a glass and they are already made."

It's not a crime. :D

I know but in the words of the immortal Linda Rondstadt " it hurts so bad". You should be thanking your lucky stars you can't hear me singing it. :-)

Simple Math. If they let everyone buy their bottles at the shop no one would buy it on board regular drinks. Like a bar it is calculated how many drinks would be sold for that bottle. Its simple business.

I had to explain this to my son for our cruise in December. After I explained he figured the math and said" He will just buy the drinks on the ship. He on't have to come up with a glass and they are already made."

There didn't seem to be a problem when you could.

A correct pour, is 1.5 oz. A one liter bottle yields about 20 1.5 oz pours. A Captain Morgan at one of the on board bars is $5.50 (at least.) That would cost $110.00 for $20 drinks. Now, the $85.00/bottle is a bargain! :eek:

A correct pour, is 1.5 oz. A one liter bottle yields about 20 1.5 oz pours. A Captain Morgan at one of the on board bars is $5.50 (at least.) That would cost $110.00 for $20 drinks. Now, the $85.00/bottle is a bargain! :eek:
We drank 2/3's of a bottle back when it was $40 something. Buying a bottle was worth it.

At $85 not so much. We are not going to finish the bottle just to make it pay.:eek:

We drank 2/3's of a bottle back when it was $40 something. Buying a bottle was worth it.

At $85 not so much. We are not going to finish the bottle just to make it pay.:eek:

Attta boy rich. And not some wimpy drink like Captain Morgan, Crown Royal straight up! Sorry I forgot this was a Carnival thread - VO.:eek:

Yeah, I think Carnival may have finally done it. I usually buy a bottle from BV but think the price has gotten so high I'll just skip it this time around. There comes a point where the convenience is not worth it.

Edited by travler27

No one is forcing you to pay a price you don't want to pay.

No one is forcing you to pay a price you don't want to pay.

I agree, if you don't want to spend the money don't spend it. Obviously they fix their prices to maximize their profit, if you don't like it don't buy it but others will.