Unlimited Cocktail Package...Must You Buy It For All Days of your Cruise?

SeaManInLA

Since I'll have an Elite mini-bar setup in my room when I arrive, I will DEFINITELY be fine the first day and night of my cruise (LOL), so...if I wanted to start the unlimited cocktail plan on the second or third night of the cruise, is that allowed?

And I swear, I'm not trying to be especially cheap...I just know that my first night on a cruise is usually cocktails on the balcony, which are provided...thanks to Princess' generosity.

Princess may well allow you to purchase the package on the second, third, or even the last day of the cruise but you will have to pay for each and every day of the cruise from the beginning. Not a bargain...

Thanks Pam & Thrak...

This "unlimited cocktails" business is tricky. I don't want it to be too cheap...or too easy. Even though I'd like it to be BOTH for me, personally. But...making it too attractive or accessible could change the entire experience of being on a Princess cruise.

I say good for them, keeping it available...but pricey.

:-)

So... if you buy the unlimited cocktail package on day 2 or 3 of your cruise and are required to pay for every day of your cruise, do they remove your drink charges under $10 for the days before you purchased the package?

So... if you buy the unlimited cocktail package on day 2 or 3 of your cruise and are required to pay for every day of your cruise, do they remove your drink charges under $10 for the days before you purchased the package?

I remember posts on another thread that even if you purchase it on embarkation day, if you had any drinks before the purchase the charges were not removed.

You have at most approximately 24 hours from embarkation to purchase any of the beverage packages (soda, soda & more and all-inclusive.) They are probably not available after about mid-day the day after boarding. No matter when you purchase it, you will pay for the entire cruise. No, they won't remove any drink purchases made before buying the package.

The one thing to remember is that while it makes financial sense for a few, the cruise line is selling the package to make money because of "slippage" -- the vast majority of people won't break even. They're not selling it to be the "good guys." Follow the money. :)

My brother purchased this package after he had purchased a bottle of wine. He asked if he could get the discount for the bottle, and they said no. One nice feature when you do buy this package is that you can get the nice imported glass bottles of sparkling water for dinner. Ask your waiter which ones apply. With every drink you get on this package, you have to show your sticker on your cruise card and sign for it.

I believe you must pay for the entire cruise. Other lines prorate it as long as there are sufficient days left in the cruise, Princess isn't one of them :(

We just got back yesterday off the Golden Princess 4 days out of San Pedro CA. I bought the all you can drink package. It is advertised at $49.00 a day but actually worked out to 56.35 with tax and added gratutities.I drink beer only so at $4.95 a beer it was a struggle but I manned up and was able to get my monies worth. At dinner I was able to get 40% off a bottle of wine and several times I was able to get my alcohol drink and my wife's non alcoholic drink(Tonic Water/Diet Coke) for free on same card. If you like the stronger drinks and they cost 8-10$ even better.

It was available for two days(48 hours) on our cruise.after that it was per drink purchases.

I remember posts on another thread that even if you purchase it on embarkation day, if you had any drinks before the purchase the charges were not removed.

The first time I bought the all inclusive package, I'd already bought a couple of drinks, which were then credited back to my account!! :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :rolleyes:

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 OCT, 2013, 19 Days, Canada - New England, Quebec City - New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 Ncruise - ov. - 01 Dec. 2013, 7 days Eastern Caribbean - FLL round trip

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 -24 Jan. 2014, 4 Days California Costal

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Day, Vancouver RT Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA, Mexico RT

I have seen others post similar experiences. It may be one of those "random Princess" things where it happens on some ships and not on others or may depend on who is "in charge" on the ship. I really wish things would be consistent throughout the fleet.

I know if I purchased the package (fat chance) and had already had a couple of "charged" drinks I would definitely request to have those charges waived.

Drinks bought and charged to your card before (or after buying the package) can have been purchased for someone else. No reason for Princess to assume otherwise. On a cruise last April, my friend had the pkg, and bought a round of JW Blue for 4 of us and pd the regular price for all 4, later bought 4 JW Black and pd for 3. He closed escrow on a property he was selling and wanted to celebrate!

We just got back yesterday off the Golden Princess 4 days out of San Pedro CA. I bought the all you can drink package. It is advertised at $49.00 a day but actually worked out to 56.35 with tax and added gratutities.I drink beer only so at $4.95 a beer it was a struggle but I manned up and was able to get my monies worth. At dinner I was able to get 40% off a bottle of wine and several times I was able to get my alcohol drink and my wife's non alcoholic drink(Tonic Water/Diet Coke) for free on same card. If you like the stronger drinks and they cost 8-10$ even better.

It was available for two days(48 hours) on our cruise.after that it was per drink purchases.

Did they not make your wife buy the package as well? I thought that all adults in the cabin had to do so. We often had two drinks charged to one of our cards in order to save a slip of paper, but we were both present at the time.

Did they not make your wife buy the package as well? I thought that all adults in the cabin had to do so. We often had two drinks charged to one of our cards in order to save a slip of paper, but we were both present at the time.
No. Everyone in the cabin does not have to purchase the beverage package. However, it's not shareable. Only the person it's purchased for can/should order a drink with the package. You might be able to get away with ordering a drink for someone else but eventually, the price will be increased due to the cheaters. It's sad that a few feel it's no big deal when in the long term, it affects everyone.

If both of you have a soda, soda & more or beverage package, no problem ordering something for the other person.

My wife had a soda card as well and when we ordered together we showed both cards. Once maybe twice we may have gotten a freebie drink that was not covered by her card but that was a rare unexpected surprise. I re-read what I posted and it is a bit deceiving.

We just got back yesterday off the Golden Princess 4 days out of San Pedro CA. I bought the all you can drink package. It is advertised at $49.00 a day but actually worked out to 56.35 with tax and added gratutities.

No tax, just the 15% gratuity.

No tax, just the 15% gratuity.

There might have been tax if the pkg was purchased while the ship was still in the "local" waters of San Pedro. My drinks bought while in San Pedro anjd San Diego all had a local tax added...

There might have been tax if the pkg was purchased while the ship was still in the "local" waters of San Pedro. My drinks bought while in San Pedro anjd San Diego all had a local tax added...

The price the poster quoted had no tax built into it, only the tip.

No. Everyone in the cabin does not have to purchase the beverage package. However, it's not shareable. Only the person it's purchased for can/should order a drink with the package. You might be able to get away with ordering a drink for someone else but eventually, the price will be increased due to the cheaters. It's sad that a few feel it's no big deal when in the long term, it affects everyone.

If both of you have a soda, soda & more or beverage package, no problem ordering something for the other person.

Interesting. I knew about not sharing things.:) On Sapphire last spring the waiter in the dining room told me that we both had to purchase the package. We were going to, anyway, but I can envision times when I would buy and and DH might not.

I just looked at our folio for last weekend's cruise and we weren't charged tax. The total for 3 days was $169.05. $147 x 1.15 x 3. I think that they may hold the slips until we depart - they were handwritten, unlike the cash register slips we had to sign for each -0- balance drink or paid drink after that.

Interesting. I knew about not sharing things.:) On Sapphire last spring the waiter in the dining room told me that we both had to purchase the package. We were going to, anyway, but I can envision times when I would buy and and DH might not.

I just looked at our folio for last weekend's cruise and we weren't charged tax. The total for 3 days was $169.05. $147 x 1.15 x 3. I think that they may hold the slips until we depart - they were handwritten, unlike the cash register slips we had to sign for each -0- balance drink or paid drink after that.

The Sapphire was one of the first two ships to test the package. At the time during the trial, every adult in the cabin had to purchase the package. When it was finalized and released in February, that policy changed so that just one person could buy it. By my March 1 cruise on the Sapphire, that policy was in effect. As one if the officers told me when asked about sharing, "We trust our passengers." If your cruise was in March or later, I suspect your waiter hadn't been updated.

As for the hand-written slip, that's done in some ports before sailing so it's not entered into the system until then to avoid charging you local taxes on top of the charge.