Can I book onboard for the perks and tranfer to a TA with a cheaper group price

doodlefan

I haven't seen this discussed, or at least I can't find any first hand info.

I will be on the Reflection on Saturday and am planning on booking a cruise for next November. A TA I often use has offered us a really good price that is significantly cheaper than Celebrity for the cruise I want to book because the TA must have a block of rooms so I'm assuming it's a group price.

If I book onboard at Celebrity's price, secure my room, get the onboard booking perks, OBC & drink package, can I then transfer my booking to the TA and have the price adjusted to their price and still keep my onboard booking perks?

I have no idea if this is possible or not. Has anyone done this?

If not I will book online with the TA today to get the lower price and the 123 promo before it ends, but I'd be missing out on the OBC from booking onboard.

Thanks so much

We were able to transfer an on board booking to TA with benefits secured onboard-beverage package, one category cabin upgrade, and an OBC. When we transferred the booking we received an additional OBC and a better price from the TA. We did have to pay an additional amount for the deposit once transferred. It was the standard deposit versus the reduced one allowed for the onboard booking. It was not an open booking on board. We booked a specific cruise which gave us the beverage package. You don't have to keep the specific cruise--it is moveable.

You must transfer the booking within some many days--think it is 50 maybe 60. We transferred within a couple of weeks because of the pricing.

This was in April of this year. Don't know if things have changed.

YAY!! Thanks for your replies. I knew someone here would have the info.

Skysthelimit, thanks also for the info on the increased deposit once the transfer was made. I didn't think about that, but will be ready if I have to up the $100 pp deposit to the regular deposit when I transfer to the TA. It will be worth it for the extra OBC for booking onboard and for the perks the TA gives as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply everyone.:D

Looks like I'm booking another cruise while on a cruise this week. I love when that happens. :p

To those that have done this, have you specifically transferred to a Travel Agent who has contract group space at reduced group fares?

Anyone can transfer to a travel agent the existing reservation, and have a TA add on additional perks, paid for and provided by the TA, but I'd be surprised to hear that the reservation transferred into the TA Special group program and held all other perks...and got a reduced fare than what was initially booked.

Many perks in the fine print indicate they are con combinable with group fares, and many group contracts have language that perks may not be combinable.

To those that have done this, have you specifically transferred to a Travel Agent who has contract group space at reduced group fares?

Anyone can transfer to a travel agent the existing reservation, and have a TA add on additional perks, paid for and provided by the TA, but I'd be surprised to hear that the reservation transferred into the TA Special group program and held all other perks...and got a reduced fare than what was initially booked.

Many perks in the fine print indicate they are con combinable with group fares, and many group contracts have language that perks may not be combinable.

Absolutely, yes, you can get lower rates with a TA, get their obc, AND combine it with the booking onboard perks.

I'm with you, cle-guy. My crystal ball is already seeing a future thread from this OP when she tries to transfer the booking to the TA for the GROUP RATE and is going to lose those perks.

I'm with you, cle-guy. My crystal ball is already seeing a future thread from this OP when she tries to transfer the booking to the TA for the GROUP RATE and is going to lose those perks.

Well, just so you and your crystal ball stay up to date, I'll be sure to post back with the results. Obviously it can and has been done as at least 3 posters have said they have done it, transferred, kept their onboard booking perks, got more OBC or whatever from their TA for booking and the TA's reduced group price.

My TA said it's not a problem either. They can pass the group savings on to their clients if they want to. They can book so many rooms and divide up the savings they get on the free room so that everyone gets a lower rate, either way Celebrity gets the same amount of $$ so it does make sense that it can be done.

Also I have booked other cruises in a group rate with a TA and received 123 promo perks so don't see why it wouldn't work this way.

I will find out onboard after Saturday.

Well, just so you and your crystal ball stay up to date, I'll be sure to post back with the results. Obviously it can and has been done as at least 3 posters have said they have done it, transferred, kept their onboard booking perks, got more OBC or whatever from their TA for booking and the TA's reduced group price.

My TA said it's not a problem either. They can pass the group savings on to their clients if they want to. They can book so many rooms and divide up the savings they get on the free room so that everyone gets a lower rate, either way Celebrity gets the same amount of $$ so it does make sense that it can be done.

Also I have booked other cruises in a group rate with a TA and received 123 promo perks so don't see why it wouldn't work this way.

123 perks are different than book on board perks, be aware of that nuance. 123 perks can usually be applied to most reservations made new as long as the promo is running. To many novice travelers, they seem to be the same, yet are not.

Even though the 123 program delivers free drinks etc, as does the book on board, they are in fact different promotions.

So this is to say it's also possible people got the book on board perks, and then when they booked with a TA, the TA exchanged the book on board perks with the 123 program perks. Generally, no big deal, however if the 123 goes away it becomes more of an issue, or if one is booking a close-in cruise where the 123 may not apply to it may become an issue.

Key is, does the reservation number remain the same once the TA makes the changes into the group space. If it changes, any perks that came via Book on Board promotions will go away, but 123 perks can be re-added as long as the 123 program is running.

Yes, three people say they have done it...But they didn't say if the rate they got from the TA was a GROUP RATE. Maybe they don't know. The OP needs to ask this question to the TA...is the rate quoted a group rate, and if so, will be be able to keep the perks. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Yes, three people say they have done it...But they didn't say if the rate they got from the TA was a GROUP RATE. Maybe they don't know. The OP needs to ask this question to the TA...is the rate quoted a group rate, and if so, will be be able to keep the perks. EM

Hi All,

I was able to do this. I booked a cruise while onboard Reflection last year and received the cabin upgrade, reduced deposit, OBC and the drink package via the PYP promo. I then transferred the reservation to my TA who was doing the same cruise with a group. She was able to maintain the perks I received from Celebrity, add an additional OBC and give me the reduced group rate. The only thing I lost was the reduced deposit. I think it's also important to note that the reservation number remained the same.

Hope it works for you too :D

Yes it can be done. Four couples booked the same cruise recently onboard And once home transferred it to (same) agent. She repriced based on an existing group allocation. Got a better price, extra obc and all onboard benefits maintained. New invoice sent with all details. A good deal made even better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

I have done it for my last two cruises.

I have kept all the perks plus received a few more. You have to do it within 60 days of the booking. Call the TA and ask first. The cruise consultant on board has told us that we could do that. Beware that if you do book on board it may automatically default to the TA that you used to book the cruise that you are on. It is best to change it to booking with Celebrity as the TA will have to release it to another TA and they may not be willing to do.

The best way is to book on board using Celebrity as the booking agent. When you get home shop around for a TA and then transfer within 60 days. If you transfer that booking to another cruise you may lose many of the perks.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

i have also done it. The name of my TA is in my profile so when I give my X number it's already there. They always ask if I want to keep the same TA.

When I get home, I go into see my TA to make sure she received the booking info (doesn't always happen). I've never lost ant of the perks from onboard booking, but I do have to pay the full deposit to the TA.

Judy

This was refused to me last summer, I was told by TA just to cancel and start over. I suspect some of us are talking about one agency, with two different results.

FYI, I did not cancel I went to another agency for that booking.

It really gets confusing when the prices fall and you want to keep your perks and upgrade. I was unsuccessful as I was in a group booking and would have lost either drinks or OBC.

As cle-guy stated also - I think most people here on this post don't understand 'group booking' - they are getting a small discount from their TA but are not getting the group booking pricing. As per Celebrity's terms and conditions, you can only have 2 promotions per reservation. The travel agent gives you group rates and then you get only 1 of the 1,2,3 promotion. You have to give up the OBC that you got when you booked on board as that would be considered a 3rd promotion.

As cle-guy stated also - I think most people here on this post don't understand 'group booking' - they are getting a small discount from their TA but are not getting the group booking pricing. As per Celebrity's terms and conditions, you can only have 2 promotions per reservation. The travel agent gives you group rates and then you get only 1 of the 1,2,3 promotion. You have to give up the OBC that you got when you booked on board as that would be considered a 3rd promotion.

This was not the case with our booking and transfer. We received everything with the onboard booking plus an additional OBC and lower price. I don't know the ins and outs of the group booking but these are the details of the booking we made.

In addition, we changed our original booking to another cruise and received the same OBC, etc.

This was not the case with our booking and transfer. We received everything with the onboard booking plus an additional OBC and lower price. I don't know the ins and outs of the group booking but these are the details of the booking we made.

In addition, we changed our original booking to another cruise and received the same OBC, etc.

Not every travel agency can sell within a group booking. They have to be high volume sellers for Celebrity. You would know you were a group booking by the deep discount. This year when we transferred our booking to our agent, he was able to offer us a total discount of $1,000., we got to keep our 1,2,3 Promo, but we lost our Celebrity OBC.

Now, if we had transferred it to an agency that just gave us their usual discount of, let's say $400., then we would get to keep everything because it wasn't a group booking. I hope this makes sense??? I know, it sounds confusing.

There is so much misinformation in this thread I don't even know where to begin.

I'm really hoping an experienced Travel Agent with current experience with Celebrity will come on this thread and provide some clarity.

I think there are just too many variables for one single answer.