New Celebrity promotion 11-5-2014

kk99

Count me suckered in. However it was only $50/pp more to go from Veranda to a Concierge Cabin on the cruise we just booked. So extra $300 OBC + free grats + beverage package -$100 = would have been silly to pass up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here! DH and I are getting ready to book and the CC cabin is only about $50pp more than the Veranda, would be silly to not pay a bit more upfront and get all the extras.

Now, we also found that we have a resident's rate that lowers the cruise cost by $620 and that has us weighing the value of those extras for us. Doesn't appear that we can combine those promos so have to figure out how much we'll actually save.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, that's my point. I am paying for my own perks. :rolleyes: However, 3rd person in a 1A also gets the perks without a price increase of the 1st and 2nd passenger. And, the perks (Non-alcoholic drinks package and 40 minutes of Internet use) do not add up to $500.

Much like hotels.

I have a 4 night reservation this weekend in Denver. Tried to book as a single 4 night reservation, it gave me a $499 per night rate.

Broke it into Thursday, fri-sat, and sun as 3 separate reservations in the same room category and bed type, got $399, $211, and $211 rates respectively. Tried to book Fri-Mon instead of 2 separate for fri-sat and Sun separate, returned a $299 rate for 2 nights with 1 night at $211. Lesson for those booking hotels, don't always assume your AAA or AARP rate is going to be the lowest rate you can book, sometimes it is loaded in the system as a discount off normal rate, and the hotels will sell a special promo rate that is better than these rates people have been tuned into assuming are great values.

All kinds of ways to manipulate cabin and room fares in the business. always best to do lots of research.

No matter what we would like to think, perks are not a gift from above, they are just a way to manipulate how we perceive why we are paying. Some, like you, are good at researching this and sorting out the minutia, others would just say "wow! I get three free perks, I need to book now!". A few sailings I was just randomly looking at, mostly had fare increases this week of $150 to $350 per person on veranda to suites. Clearly covering the costs of the perks. Of course others are reporting no increases and some even decreases, all depends on the itinerary and how each date is selling. No generalizations can be drawn really.

And even you are thinking of giving them a little bit more money and booking a second cabin. Just how it's supposed to work for the bottom line.

Marketing genius.

I'm not sure if you are looking a Caribbean sailings or not, but the season looks to be real soft as far as cabin sales, even during the earnings announcements RCI posted recently, they made not that they are lowering expectations for the 4th quarter, and I bet will again for Q1 next spring, until ships relocate out of the caribbean.

My Sillie sailing coming up end of this month is only 53% sold out, and the cruises before it still have 30% of cabins left to sell, and subsequent sailings, past final payment, are looking at 35-40% of cabins still open. Caribbean market is tough right now with so many berths and lines to choose from.

Edited by cle-guy

Curt - Those hotel prices are insane! I have never had that happen. When, on the rare occasion that we book multiple days like that, the nights are always broken down for each night. If it's a business city, the week nights will be higher than the weekend. Vice-versa if it's a vacation city. The weekends will be more. I will be sure to double check that the next time we decide to book multiple nights, though.

We have gotten so we book apartments if spending more than 2 nights over seas. Oh, and I have always checked all rates when booking hotels.

We are AAA members, and the rate has always been less than any other rate when AAA rate is offered.

One trick that I have learned is to check back on your hotel rate about a week or two before check-in. I have cancelled and rebooked at lower rates that way. ;) Of course, it depends on the demand of the hotel.

Well, if the rates for my Caribbean cruise go down enough before final payment, I have no problem sacrificing the Gratuities and OBC incentive to get a lower rate. We would still be able to keep the Beverage Packages for 2 persons. I'd even drop back down to a 1A cat..

Edited by Iamthesea

The Internet? I am not sure promotions are that thought out. I think they want rates up and as long as people go crazy for 123 they will experiment with it until it runs its course or they teach us all we want it all the time and it becomes standard.

Somewhere along the line someone must have decided the cost of rebooking people for cruises was worth it all.

They either excite or exhaust me but I usually dutifully recheck all pricing and compare.;)

I just booked another cruise while on the ship on Friday. Great deal. Booked for same ship in 2016. If I decide to change shop or date later perks will remain the same. $250 was taken off my bill for the week and $250 added for deposit. Basically a wash. Upgrade to better room only $200 total for 2 people. Why would you not book it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Curt - Those hotel prices are insane! I have never had that happen. When, on the rare occasion that we book multiple days like that, the nights are always broken down for each night. If it's a business city, the week nights will be higher than the weekend. Vice-versa if it's a vacation city. The weekends will be more. I will be sure to double check that the next time we decide to book multiple nights, though.

We have gotten so we book apartments if spending more than 2 nights over seas. Oh, and I have always checked all rates when booking hotels.

We are AAA members, and the rate has always been less than any other rate when AAA rate is offered.

One trick that I have learned is to check back on your hotel rate about a week or two before check-in. I have cancelled and rebooked at lower rates that way. ;) Of course, it depends on the demand of the hotel.

Well, if the rates for my Caribbean cruise go down enough before final payment, I have no problem sacrificing the Gratuities and OBC incentive to get a lower rate. We would still be able to keep the Beverage Packages for 2 persons. I'd even drop back down to a 1A cat..

This is a JW Marriott. A business hotel, so Thursday is legitimately higher than weekends. As formal Marriott manager, I kind of know how they prep rates in the system. Some rates require a 2 night stay with a checkout to be valid, for example, so I've learned to check multiple night stays very carefully. When you get reservations that pop out rate changes, they normally don't take into account AAA type discounts, only hotel offered discounts. We used to refer to them as BARA BARB and BARC, BAR meaning Best Available Rate, and there were 3 levels, A B and C. They also know lots of people booking direct never think to break a reservation onto pieces - an "itninerary" reservation as it's called. The key to making it work though, is you must be able to get the exact hotel room category (i.e. "mid floor city view") AND bed type (i.e. King, 2 doubles or Queen) for it to be successful. Otherwise they may require a room swap, or rate change to higher rate if you don't move.

As you note, I did today check rates, and found I can't get the AAA rate thursday night, but they are now selling a higher category room for less than I have booked but it's 2 beds, they have no singles left, so tomorrow I'll call and try to work it.... :)

What is the incentive if you want to book a RS or PS since they include a premium beverage package and unlimited specialty restaurant dining, along with other perks?

Mary Lou

No incentive really. But they know those cabins will likely sell on their own anyway, or people will upgrade and forgive perks to get the cabin if the fares drop.

Those perks don't go into effect to mid April, mostly when ships leave the Caribbean, and rates have gone up for the perks, and suite dining room and other perks that they come with. So for Feb and March, the incentives do apply and will likely help fill the cabins, in the soft caribbean market.

Hi everyone,

Glad to see that some of my fellow cruisers were able to take advantage of the promotion!

Mary Lou, two of the cruises we were able to switch to this promotion are in a RS. Celebrity switched out the drink package for extra onboard credit since the drinks were already included in the suite benefits( after 4/2015).

I was very pleased with our travel agent and Celebrity. Someone else asked about did it work for those in a group booking. Another of the cruises we repriced, we are part of ten cabins for our friends and family, and part of a larger group space with the travel agency. We were able to get the new promotion for all of our cabins, as the prices had not risen on that sailing.

I am going to continue to check on our remaining cruises since this promotion lasts until the early part of January or until Celebrity discontinues it, since we might get lucky with some falling prices.

The UK promotion similar to the U. S. one starts November 11th.

For us, I am glad that Celebrity offered this promotion. The only thing better is if they offered it on transatlantics

This is a JW Marriott. A business hotel, so Thursday is legitimately higher than weekends. As formal Marriott manager, I kind of know how they prep rates in the system. Some rates require a 2 night stay with a checkout to be valid, for example, so I've learned to check multiple night stays very carefully. When you get reservations that pop out rate changes, they normally don't take into account AAA type discounts, only hotel offered discounts. We used to refer to them as BARA BARB and BARC, BAR meaning Best Available Rate, and there were 3 levels, A B and C. They also know lots of people booking direct never think to break a reservation onto pieces - an "itninerary" reservation as it's called. The key to making it work though, is you must be able to get the exact hotel room category (i.e. "mid floor city view") AND bed type (i.e. King, 2 doubles or Queen) for it to be successful. Otherwise they may require a room swap, or rate change to higher rate if you don't move.

As you note, I did today check rates, and found I can't get the AAA rate thursday night, but they are now selling a higher category room for less than I have booked but it's 2 beds, they have no singles left, so tomorrow I'll call and try to work it.... :)

Oh gosh, Curt. That's an awful lot of work on your part. :D I do also check the BAR when checking prices. On occasion, a AAA has not been offered.

I think like with the cruises and flights...if I find a rate that I am happy with, I book and will not worry about it anymore. That is getting harder and harder to do when Celebrity keeps making these offers. :D

Also, I booked separate flights for DH and my upcoming cruise. The rate that I found only had one ticket left. I waited a few days to find the rate again for DH. The downside to that is that the flight number and /or equipment has changed 3 times since. I am getting multiple notices for both flights and it is driving me crazy trying to keep up. The other day, I happened to notice that our seats had been changed around because of the equipment change. And because our flights are not linked, our seats were split apart. I remained in the front of the plane on two flights, while DH was put in the back. In order for him to sit with me, it was going to cost him $44 extra, so I moved back with him. :rolleyes: I will never book our flights separate again!

Has anyone in group space been able to apply the 123 All Inclusive?

Yes- went from a 2B to a C3 for $150 more pp. to capture the 123 AI. Still saved over $500 pp. versus Celebrity's current cabin price. Had some friends on the same sailing who wanted to upgrade as well, but the agency has no more CC cabins left in group space. :(

Tony

Yes- went from a 2B to a C3 for $150 more pp. to capture the 123 AI. Still saved over $500 pp. versus Celebrity's current cabin price. Had some friends on the same sailing who wanted to upgrade as well, but the agency has no more CC cabins left in group space.

Tony

What is special about staying with the group booking? If it was me, I'd cancel and rebook with another TA that could offer me a CC cabin and the promotion.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

What is special about staying with the group booking? If it was me, I'd cancel and rebook with another TA that could offer me a CC cabin and the promotion.

Many times groups will have special entertainment, that only members of the group may attend. They may do something special in the theatre after the last show, or close revelations lounge for an afternoon, or have special shore excursions. SO if you don't book into the group, you may not participate in the group activities, that was likely the entire reason you booked the cruise..

I think there's a bit of confusion going on. This is group space that a travel agent blocks off when cruises are first released for booking. Not an affinity group. We have no idea who the other passengers are who reserved cabins with the same agent.

If we canceled, we'd be paying the current Celebrity price of $2100 pp. for a C3 versus $1513 via group space.

Tony

You are told to book early for the best cabins and prices. I agree about the best cabins if you are particular about location. My wife and I typically do care about location. On popular cruises, the prices often do not drop prior to the cruise unless there are last minute cancellations. We have 2 Celebrity 14 day cruises booked in 2015 in Concierge class. We have the 123GO package for the Classic Alcohol. The latest 123GO package is now offering guests in Concierge class or higher all 3 of the packages: Classic alcohol, Free Gratuity and $300 on board credit. Checking the room class and rate for one of our cruises, they have increased the rate by $100 PP. I realize the room selection is not as good, but for a 14 day Caribbean cruise in March, it really doesn't matter that much, the weather is great.

Why do I feel betrayed? Maybe because the latest offer equates to hundreds of dollars in additional discounts, even taking into account the slight increase in the room rate. Their price guarantee fine print says they will only honor an upgrade to the latest incentives if you booked your cruise no more than 48 hours earlier.

So much for a meaningful price guarantee, or am I missing something?

I will gladly listen to arguments or agreements.

You are told to book early for the best cabins and prices. I agree about the best cabins if you are particular about location. My wife and I typically do care about location. On popular cruises, the prices often do not drop prior to the cruise unless there are last minute cancellations. We have 2 Celebrity 14 day cruises booked in 2015 in Concierge class. We have the 123GO package for the Classic Alcohol. The latest 123GO package is now offering guests in Concierge class or higher all 3 of the packages: Classic alcohol, Free Gratuity and $300 on board credit. Checking the room class and rate for one of our cruises, they have increased the rate by $100 PP. I realize the room selection is not as good, but for a 14 day Caribbean cruise in March, it really doesn't matter that much, the weather is great.

Why do I feel betrayed? Maybe because the latest offer equates to hundreds of dollars in additional discounts, even taking into account the slight increase in the room rate. Their price guarantee fine print says they will only honor an upgrade to the latest incentives if you booked your cruise no more than 48 hours earlier.

So much for a meaningful price guarantee, or am I missing something?

I will gladly listen to arguments or agreements.

If you haven't made final payment why not ask for the extras?

if they say no just cue-up a travel agent to score the extras and your cabin when you cancel your existing booking/cabin.

Edited by A Sixth?

Hi,

I started the other thread about this new November 2014 promotion. We had four cruises already booked in 2015 to which it would apply. Two of the cruises, the prices had risen so much that it was not worth trying to change the promotions. On the other two cruises, our prices had not changed.

We were able to take off the old promotion perks, and get all of the 123go inclusive perks, and keep our same cabin on those two sailings. All of our cruises were booked several months ago.

Other people have reported they are able to do the same, whether through their travel agent or with Celebrity if they booked it directly.

Please call your travel agent or Celebrity I direct and see if it works for you. If your fare has only risen slightly, and the perks of the gratuities, onboard credit and the drink package outweigh what you currently have, then I hope you can get it changed in your favor.

If you are before final payment, cancel and rebook. No big deal.

Celebrity hasn't insisted you book early, you made that decision based on listening to others. There are also those who say wait till last minute to get the best deals, I follow this method myself.

It takes a mixed basket of bookings to fill a ship:

• the early on bookers, with good discounts and some perks
  • the middle bookers with perhaps slightly higher fares and great perks
  • the last minute bookers with GREAT fares, and no perks.

Every reservation has a myriad of variables and fare rules attached. Like an airline, you'd be hard pressed to find 2 people with the same airfare on a single plane. Some pay full price, and get extended legroom seating and 2 checked bags, some pay bargain basement prices and can't get a seat assignment till arriving at the airport, some pay a slightly less than full fare and can make changes with no fees, some book slightly less than that and can make changes with a high fee.

It's best to book and be happy and not look back, or if you do, be prepared to accept the rules may prohibit the kind of changes you want, as you've found out.

No one ever bothers to ask for the fare rule and read and understand them, but they do exist, and it's our own faults for not understanding what we bought. I'm guilty of this too.

Safe to say unless you book a fare on the X website that is not linked to any emailed promotion, has no "flag" as lowest fare or with other similar notations, we need to expect it has restrictions if we want to make changes to it later on.

As to the lowest fare guarantee, in your case here's the rules that apply:

Request to Add or Change an Added Value Offer

Celebrity will

1) apply an Added Value Offer to booking and

2) go to prevailing eligible cruise fare

The guarantee is pretty clear that to add a new promotional offer, the offer can only be added if the cruise fare itself is adjusted to the current selling fare.

We can't have our cake and eat it too in most cases. Perks cost something, typically come with an increased fare, unless particular sailings need help being filled.

Edited by cle-guy

Our TA was able to get the additional credits applied. One cruise the room rate went up $100 pp. The other one $150pp. Both well below the free tips alone.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We book early when we really care about room location, and popular cruises fill up early. We just came back a week ago from Carnival's 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii. Two weeks before the cruise, you could no longer find the ship listed. A couple of days before there were 4 rooms available (some inside, etc). The one balcony available in the same class as us was some $1000 or more than when we booked. I suspect last minute cancellations. Four room out of 1000 cancelling for whatever reason would certainly not be reasonable to expect.

In any event, problem solved to my satisfaction. Thanks again for the prompt replies.

We have a 123Go promo for our June 2015 cruise. Since it is a Europe cruise we got to pick two. We picked OBC and free gratuities. I emailed my TA, she did the math. Yes I could change to all 3 with the new promo, but the cost is $250 pp with 2 people in the room. For us it is just not worth the $500 dollars for a 12 day cruise.

We have AQ with bev pkg for our November cruise. Called our TA and it is worth it to change to the new all inclusive promo. Will cost us a little over $100 total to upgrade and we will get the OBC plus additional OBC from the TA. 😃

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app