Bedspreads washed between guests?

Granny pants

The duvets are horribly warm and never necessary in warm climates yet they are there every time we enter our cabin for the first day of our cruise. Just my own observation but with the "stiffness" of the fabric under the duvet cover, I am confident that they are cleaned between room changes. We always ask for a blanket to replace the duvet and a top sheet. I also am confident that the blanket it clean. And yes, there are always a full set of fresh linens, duvets, and even "toppers" under the bed.

I dislike the duvets too--too hot, but if you take it off, then it's too cold. They are also heavy and stiff. I always ask for a top sheet and a blanket; I always get the top sheet, rarely the blanket. I don't know why ships have gone to using duvets; probably because the covers can be washed more easily than ablanket.

Currently there are no longer bedspreads. They have a long piece of fabric, dirty of course, lying across the width of the bed; bottom; like a runner. Tell him to take it away forever.

Duvets get new outer covers changed (blanket covers) and sometimes during the cruise. If you dirty it, they will change it.

There are no longer blankets. You don't want those disgusting things anyway. Someone said they ask for a blanket. Rethink that request. They are as clean as those on the airplane and we all know those are not.

Top sheet for those who don't use one at home is what covers your body. Then use duvet/quilt on top. Sometimes too warm, so just use sheet.

I disagree with most of you , there is absolutely no way that they could wash and dry that many duvets during a cruise ready for the next changeover along with all the other washing they have eg sheets , table linen and towels , the sheer volume alone would require another area on the ship for storage , but lets hope they do get washed periodically at least , maybe deck by deck :eek:

You disagree with me? OK, I didn't see what I saw. Fine, the room steward was not changing the duvet cover and it is always dirty. If I were you then I would bring my own sheets. :cool:

Please help us understand how you know this to be fact?

Are you talking about the duvet or its cover? The cover is washed; guaranteed. The duvet; those things need to be dry cleaned; they are like a heavy quilt. You cannot do that on a regular turnaround basis. Could you do that with yours at home? I think not. And the person who said their cover was not changed............UGH! That's their room steward cutting corners and I would never allow that to happen.

If this bothers you, then don't ever stay in a hotel on land. Most modern hotels use the same system. It is much more sanitary than using the old fashioned bedspreads. As for potential bedbugs - those can come in with anybody's luggage. DH always examines the headboard area looking for miniscule droppings. He has never found them. You are more likely to find bedbugs in a Florida hotel than on a Princess ship.

We always ask for the top sheet, too. Dh gets very hot, and can't stand the comforter. Sheets AND duvet covers are changed once a week.

Most unsanitary places on the ship - elevators, stair rails, public restrooms. The staff does try, but some passengers just won't wash their hands!

Edited by Tina G

So you are saying that the laundry manager who pointed out specifically they are washed is lying? As I noted, they have at least 2 pars (1 par=enough to do all rooms) on hand at all times to allow for circulation.

I disagree with most of you , there is absolutely no way that they could wash and dry that many duvets during a cruise ready for the next changeover along with all the other washing they have eg sheets , table linen and towels , the sheer volume alone would require another area on the ship for storage , but lets hope they do get washed periodically at least , maybe deck by deck :eek:

Check under your bed the next time you arrive in your cabin on embarkation day. You will find plastic wrapped bedding under your bed. Often times on disembarkation day your steward will begin with changing the bedding while you are away from your room at breakfast. New and clean duvets, sheets, towels are ready for each turnover day--more often for longer cruises.

The duvets are too hot, too heavy. I hate them. We always ask for a blanket to replace the duvet (and yes, it is clean) and a top sheet. That little strip of "spread" that is placed at the bottom of the bed is there to prevent people dirtying their bed if they decide to lie down with their shoes on or other items brought into the room. I am always happy that they are there as it is one extra layer separating me from dirty shoes or whatever is brought into the cabin. And yes, they too get laundered. If you don't like the texture of the blanket you can always ask the steward to put it inside of a duvet cover. They pretty much will do anything you ask if you are respectful of them.

You disagree with me? OK, I didn't see what I saw. Fine, the room steward was not changing the duvet cover and it is always dirty. If I were you then I would bring my own sheets. :cool:

RE-READ please , that is NOT what I said , I said that the duvets were not washed each cruise , of course the covers are washed between cruises along with the sheets , and I am not one of the unrealistic people that expect the duvets to be cleaned each cruise , I have never heard of anybody being ill from the beds , a certain amount of germs are actually beneficial as if everything were clinically sterile there would be no immunity to ward off infections , ask a doctor , it is a cruiseship not a hospital after all:p

Please help us understand how you know this to be fact?

The pure logistics make it very obvious , why dont you ask the manager of housekeeping next time you cruise but expect a positive answer as they know that is what you are looking for , hotels do not wash their duvets each changeover either , I am talking about the duvets themselves NOT the covers as previously mentioned , do you all expect the matresses to be cleaned each cruise too along with the toppers , come on get real !!:D

Are you talking about the duvet or its cover? The cover is washed; guaranteed. The duvet; those things need to be dry cleaned; they are like a heavy quilt. You cannot do that on a regular turnaround basis. Could you do that with yours at home? I think not. And the person who said their cover was not changed............UGH! That's their room steward cutting corners and I would never allow that to happen.

Thank you Pia1913 that is exactly what I mean !!!!

Pia, just how often are the covers/bottom sheets supposed to be changed. Years ago, it was every three days. Now it's hard to figure. Most cruises it settles in at 4-5 days. This TA on the Regal they got changed on the 5th day and then never again-12 additional days!!

It seems like the sheets are changed every 4-5 days on longer cruises, but unless I don't always notice; unless I happen to be in the stateroom when the steward is changing the sheets, I probably wouldn't know.

It's better than at home; I change our sheets once a week.

This isn't my department and my wife is out of town but I thought the duvet was the covering. My wife has made a couple by sewing two sheets together. SO isn't the duvet the thing that you put a comforter in so you don't have to wash the comforter every time. We use them because of our pets.

Pia, just how often are the covers/bottom sheets supposed to be changed. Years ago, it was every three days. Now it's hard to figure. Most cruises it settles in at 4-5 days. This TA on the Regal they got changed on the 5th day and then never again-12 additional days!!

I am a linen junkie. Not only do I buy too much, but I also change my sheets more often than most. That being said, I'm always aware of when sheets are changed on a cruise. I ask my steward immediately and they usually tell me every third day. Works for me and thus far it's been that way. Perhaps others don't get theirs changed that often, but we always do.

In fact, some months ago my husband was having dental/gum problems and every morning there would be blood; on the pillow case, on the duvet cover, on the sheet itself. So every day we got new linen; top to bottom. I apologized to the steward who told me there was no need to do so, but I also gave him a whole lot more extra $$$ every few days too.

This isn't my department and my wife is out of town but I thought the duvet was the covering. My wife has made a couple by sewing two sheets together. SO isn't the duvet the thing that you put a comforter in so you don't have to wash the comforter every time. We use them because of our pets.

No wonder this thread is getting so confusing, what you call a comforter is the duvet. This is then enclosed by sheeting which is called the duvet cover, and this is washed when the bed linen is changed.

No wonder this thread is getting so confusing, what you call a comforter is the duvet. This is then enclosed by sheeting which is called the duvet cover, and this is washed when the bed linen is changed.

That's why on one of my posts I said "duvet/quilt" just to be more specific. Yes, the word comforter works too.