Passport Needed

So my DH and I are leaving in February on the Oasis Of The Seas, sailing to Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Marteen do we need passports for all three ports? Im wanting to make sure before I send out the need paperwork and pictures to get ours renewed? Thank you in advance.

So my DH and I are leaving in February on the Oasis Of The Seas, sailing to Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Marteen do we need passports for all three ports? Im wanting to make sure before I send out the need paperwork and pictures to get ours renewed? Thank you in advance.

Passports are not needed

If you are US citizens, you can cruise on a certified copy of your birth certificate and a govt. issued photo ID.

Aside from the cost, is there any reason why so many people are so reluctant to obtain a passport? It's good for 10 years, so it's relatively inexpensive, and opens up a world of travel possibilities.

And of course, if you miss the boat in a foreign port, or get sick and have to return to the US by air...'nuff said.

Aside from the cost, is there any reason why so many people are so reluctant to obtain a passport? It's good for 10 years, so it's relatively inexpensive, and opens up a world of travel possibilities.

And of course, if you miss the boat in a foreign port, or get sick and have to return to the US by air...'nuff said.

I have never understood why so many Americans are loathe to get a passport. Is it just 'cos they want to stay near home or what? My passport costs £72 (about $120) for 10 years. In Europe, being British and an EU citizen, theoretically I can travel anywhere with just a photo driving licence, but practically, it ain't gonna happen! If you want to fly or use a cross channel ferry, you need a passport...they are the carriers rules. So I just keep mine up to date as you never know when you might need it!

Simon

In my opinion money well invested if something happens while in port and you miss the ship.

Generally I don't take my passport ashore, so id be stuffed either way!

(although im from the UK so need it on every cruise)

This is the main reason I have found for cruisers not getting a passport (by example):

A family of 6 (2 parents, 4 children) are taking the vacation of a lifetime on a cruise, lets go all out and say the Oasis or Allure. Cruise fare for the 6 of them will be somewhere around 5k. Gratuities for the 6 of them will be another 500.00 and if they have to fly, figure another 1,500.00, at least. The total is now up to $ 7,000.00 and they haven't even purchased the first soda or shore excursion.

To purchase a passport for the 6 of them would cost ~ 800.00 additional, for their "once in a lifetime" vacation. Do you REALLY think they are going to pony up the additional funds for a document they will likely NEVER use again? Believe me, it's not going to happen. I'm am witness to it EVERY DAY, despite my warnings.

Generally I don't take my passport ashore, so id be stuffed either way!

(although im from the UK so need it on every cruise)

When going ashore, you should always carry a copy of your passport. It contains the necessary information to get you a replacement copy if, heaven forbid, you should get left behind.

I also recommend my clients make a photo copy of all of their credit cards, front and back, and leave the copies in the safe. If, when you get back from shore, you find you've misplaced your credit card, you at least have the account # and phone # to call and cancel it.

WOW seriously I just about spent $270.00 to get them renewed. I had no idea we didn't need them.

I need them because they give me the peace of mind that if I need to fly on short notice I can. I also take it on shore with me since all a copy will help me do is get a replacement. If I have the original I won't need a replacement.

I find it very odd that there are adults in this country (or any country I guess) that do not have passports. .

I dont find it odd at all. There are many many people that will never leave this country and consider a Passport a waste of money.

I agree with you if you had said cruisers instead of adults. I cant for the life me understand why anyone would leave this country on a cruise ship without one but its really none of my business. I will always have a Passport :)

As we have found out just in the last couple of weeks though, its NOT the end of the world if you miss the ship and dont have a Passport. It took a total of two extra days for the OP to catch back up with his family and that included flying back to the US before flying to catch back up with the ship.

Edited by ryano

I need them because they give me the peace of mind that if I need to fly on short notice I can. I also take it on shore with me since all a copy will help me do is get a replacement. If I have the original I won't need a replacement.

What would you do if it's lost or stolen and why do you suppose the cruise lines tell you to leave it on board in the safe?:confused:

As people have stated many Americans would never consider traveling abroad but may try a cruise. We move all over the United States and don't need one so many people would not want to spend the money to use once.

I NEVER carry my original passport off the ship, just a copy goes with me and the original stays in the safe on the ship. Now when in Europe I do because many places ask for it.

What would you do if it's lost or stolen and why do you suppose the cruise lines tell you to leave it on board in the safe?:confused:

If it's lost I'll use my copy to get a replacement. If it's been left behind then it might as well be already lost.

I don't particularly care what the cruise line suggests I do.

When going ashore, you should always carry a copy of your passport. It contains the necessary information to get you a replacement copy if, heaven forbid, you should get left behind.

I also recommend my clients make a photo copy of all of their credit cards, front and back, and leave the copies in the safe. If, when you get back from shore, you find you've misplaced your credit card, you at least have the account # and phone # to call and cancel it.

Date of birth/social security # would be adequate to get a replacement passport. They can look it up from that alone. Same as well for credit cards lost. Have customer service # and that's all you need. Photo copies of front/back of card is very unnecessary and could add to fraudulent activity if gotten in the wrong hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by brenderlou