lingering on ship

esimon

[quote name='esimon']How long can you wait to get off a ship at disembarkation? We are spending the day in Ft Lauderdale after so in no hurry to get off the ship - suggestions please.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Assuming everything starts on time, that is there's no delay in docking or clearing the ship, expect "final call" to be announced sometime around 9:30, or a little later.

That does not mean the last passengers will absolutely leave then, as those needing wheelchair assistance may still be waiting. But able-bodied passengers should be going by then. (I've heard that final call, and the increasingly irritated following calls, more than once.) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='esimon']what is the latest they will let you disembark? Can we eat breakfast in the lido?[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]The Lido will be open in plenty of time to be able to eat there, and still be off the ship in the last group before "final call". As I said, after "final call", when there are still passengers aboard, there continue to be announcements---with increasing irritation in the voice---to leave the ship.
I have heard "final call" as early as 9:30 more than once (I'm in the wheelchair assistance group).

Remember, the crew needs to turn the ship over to make it ready for the next group to board. It's more efficient for them if the passengers are gone.
The cabins were probably ready when you boarded, and the new passengers would like the same. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B]HAL serves breakfast on disembarkation day in MDR (and Pinnacle) for those who prefer sitting down to be served.

If you aren't off by about 9:45 they will hunt you down as you would be delaying the ship zeroing down and preparing to begin embarkation. Also, those who are b-to-b must wait ashore in the terminal until all who are supposed to leave have done so. If you delay beyond 9:45 or so, you could be keeping many people standing in the terminal waiting to get back on the ship.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='Typhoon1']Since the stateroom direct program began, the simple answer is ASAP.

The stewards have plenty of work to do to have the cabins ready for embarking guests.[/QUOTE]

I agree. When I have had to linger due to limitations of those I was sailing with, I felt like it was a party we had staying too long at. The "hosts" wanted us out the door! Edited by Ryndam2002

In consideration of everyone who works on the ship, you should be completely ready to leave by 9:15 am.

I watched a video on YouTube about turn around day. It is amazing how they are able to get everything ready in just a few hours!

We chatted with the Hotel Director in the Transit Lounge in Seattle while we waited reboarding for the second leg of our B2B. He told us that nobody can go through the terminal Security Checkpoint until every passenger is off of the ship.

So a single passenger wandering around the ship after 10:00 PM delays the start of the entire check-in process for 1000+ passengers.

The real reason for getting to 'zero' is to take the complete passenger MUST disembark and Immigration cannot clear the ship and allow anyone else to come on board until the ship is at ZERO.

Usually there a 'few' .... B2B... The lucky 'chosen people'.... who must disembark through Immigration. Passengers who are returning to the ship cannot embark until EVERYONE is at ZERO. Only at that time can any B2B passengers can return to the ship. They have new swipe cards for the return. The cards will not return until the passenger list is zero and renewed.

It is not a joke at all. November in NOORDAM there were about 100 passengers who were staying for the next cruise. We were told to go through immigration and then wait until the ship had gone to zero. One passenger lingered. She ignored calls and all of us were stuck in stuffed corridor for almost 45 minutes waiting for one passenger to get off the ship. Grrrrrrr!:mad:

Helping for crew to get the ship ready for next cruise important but the immigration issue is the real reason the ship wants to be 'zero' as quickly as possible.

Stephen

Last time we had a B2B we waited for maybe 10-15 minutes to return to the ship - it was wonderful!
Have a B2B coming up so we shall see what happens this time in Dec.

So looks like the bottom line is to disembark by about 9:15 so:
1. Immigration can release the ship
2. Crew who have time off can go and attend to what they need to do: shop, wire money home, call, Skype, etc
3. B2B passengers do not have to stand around for hours
4. Politeness
5. New passengers can be boarded in a timely manner (which also makes them less grumpy) Edited by take us away

Dec 2012 we were leaving a HAL cruise and immediately joining the NA, so we were not in any rush. There was only one person in line behind us when we got off and this was a little after 10am.

So many helpful people walking past where we were sitting telling us "You know you can get off now, right? Of course they did not know we were waiting on purpose.

[quote name='take us away']Last time we had a B2B we waited for maybe 10-15 minutes to return to the ship - it was wonderful!
Have a B2B coming up so we shall see what happens this time in Dec.

So looks like the bottom line is to disembark by about 9:15 so:
1. Immigration can release the ship
2. Crew who have time off can go and attend to what they need to do: shop, wire money home, call, Skype, etc
3. B2B passengers do not have to stand around for hours
4. Politeness
5. New passengers can be boarded in a timely manner (which also makes them less grumpy)[/QUOTE]

[B] On many b-to-b's in FLL, we have waited as little as 10-15 minutes and once was well more than an hour because one or two selfish people decided to linger with no thought for anyone be it crew or other guests.

[/B]

[quote name='dadroy']Dec 2012 we were leaving a HAL cruise and immediately joining the NA, so we were not in any rush. There was only one person in line behind us when we got off and this was a little after 10am.

So many helpful people walking past where we were sitting telling us "You know you can get off now, right? Of course they did not know we were waiting on purpose.[/QUOTE]

[B] I think they were most politely trying to tell you to leave. You likely weren't aware you were keeping hundreds of people waiting or surely you would have not lingered quite so leisurely. :)

We all should remember how eager we were to board when our cruise started. Surely all those arriving for their cruise are just as anxious. They can't board until we get off.

I understand some folks may not have thought of that but seeing we've discussed it here, more folks now know.

[/B]

Wow. Ask a simple question - just want u all to know I just wanted to know how quickly I had to leave cause I don't have a crack of dawn flight this time. Point taken - you can all relax!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Better yet, you can have a final breakfast served in the main dining room. We have done this on our last two cruises and it sure beats crowding the gangway with all the other early-departing passengers. The room is yours until 9am or so, though the room stewards will come in to make the bed.

I strongly prefer the old way of waiting until 1-2pm for the room upon embarkation, rather that being shoved off the ship early in the morning upon departure. Unfortunately, the "have to get it now" types have caused the disembarkation squeeze (and staterooms that perhaps were not fully cleaned for the new passengers due to lack of time).

igraf

[quote name='esimon']what is the latest they will let you disembark? Can we eat breakfast in the lido?[/quote]

We stay until the time printed on our disembarkation papers. Sometimes it's the earliest group, sometimes the latest, depending on our plans. We always let our steward know ahead of time and have never had a problem. I think the latest we have stayed in our cabin was about 9:00 once. Our group wasn't called until 9:30, but we felt bad staying in the cabin when our steward was rushing around trying to get the cabins all turned over.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]I always find these threads so interesting because we all have expierenced different things.
On our last b2b in Vancouver we were told that we could go down anytime as long as we went thru US customs before the ship left at 5 pm. We did not go down until around 3 pm. The new passengers were getting on at 11:30 am., they certainly were not calling our names to get off the ship and we caused no problems for the newly embarking passengers. So it doesn't always work the same, you just need to be aware of what the ship and port want you to do and follow it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='PathfinderEss'][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4]I always find these threads so interesting because we all have expierenced different things.
On our last b2b in Vancouver we were told that we could go down anytime as long as we went thru US customs before the ship left at 5 pm. We did not go down until around 3 pm. The new passengers were getting on at 11:30 am., they certainly were not calling our names to get off the ship and we caused no problems for the newly embarking passengers. So it doesn't always work the same, you just need to be aware of what the ship and port want you to do and follow it.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

In contrast, last month in Vancouver, the in transit passengers met in the Queens Lounge, then we were led into the terminal building, thru immigration and back on the ship. As we headed back toward the ship, I noticed that the new passengers were being processed for boarding.