Oasis Class to West Coast?

Calgon1

I cruised out of LA on Mariner and that stopped because the ship was too big for the area. I doubt a bigger Oasis will make its way to the West coast.

Plus it'd be too big for the Panama Canal so it be a long trip around South America.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It would be nice to have one of those to sail to Hawaii. There are so many sea days it would be nice to have something like Oasis to explore during that time. Wonder if any of the Hawaiian ports could handle it, or if it would always have to tender.

yes, .0000000000000001%.

.00000000000000000000000000000000000lol00000000000000000000lol

.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

:)

We're just glad to have any RCI ship to test out the water's here again, even on a limited basis.

Just when many think they know what RCI will do..."Surprise" !!

Many of us said "if they come back we will book" and have we ever..Can't wait for my Jewel Sept 2015 Pacific Northwest :D

Clearly there's some history with RCI and the West Coast that I'm not privy to at the moment.

I mean, "there's gold in them thar hills," and if Royal's not willing to touch it, they must have already tried and went "bust."

Did Princess run them out of town?

Clearly there's some history with RCI and the West Coast that I'm not privy to at the moment.

I mean, "there's gold in them thar hills," and if Royal's not willing to touch it, they must have already tried and went "bust."

Did Princess run them out of town?

They had Monarch in LA for many years, and even tried Mariner for a couple of years, and decided they could make more money moving the ships elsewhere.

They had Monarch in LA for many years, and even tried Mariner for a couple of years, and decided they could make more money moving the ships elsewhere.

I think they should have left Monarch there. Taking Mariner out there increased inventory too much and then the economy crashed. Royal had a hard time giving away rooms on the ship. It might have been the same way with the Monarch or similar sized ship, but Mariner was overkill for that market.

Having just got off the OAS on the Westbound TA, trust me you don't want it out there. They might be very good of getting their big ship into and out of Ft. Lauderdale, but anything outside the norm. for RCL with these ships and it will be bad news.

Read the last few reviews.

Is the problem with west coast no where to go to keep a ship year round.

Alaska season too short

Hawaii too far

South no decent ports

Probably better money sticking one in Europe but winter is an issue unless you do Canaries runs.

Edited by insidecabin

Is the problem with west coast no where to go to keep a ship year round.

Alaska season too short

Hawaii too far

South no decent ports

Probably better money sticking one in Europe but winter is an issue unless you do Canaries runs.

I've heard of several problems with the west coast. Itinerary to Mexico has a perception of being unsafe. It's also cooler and rougher than the Caribbean. One consistent reason I've heard from several officers is that the expenses (fuel, California taxes, etc.) are higher, so profits are not as good as in Florida.

Celebrity and NCL seem to own most Alaska cruises, NCL owns the year round Hawaii market, Princess out of San Fran (which has to be super pricy to sail from), and Mexico has kind of a bad safety rap right now. Best to leave those Mexico routes to Carnival where there is less resistance to dropping prices (which they do a lot for their cruises out of SoCal).

Celebrity and NCL seem to own most Alaska cruises, NCL owns the year round Hawaii market, Princess out of San Fran (which has to be super pricy to sail from), and Mexico has kind of a bad safety rap right now. Best to leave those Mexico routes to Carnival where there is less resistance to dropping prices (which they do a lot for their cruises out of SoCal).

Princess and HAL own the Alaska market.

NCL just got back into the market and Carnival corp has just gon year round on CCL and thrown 4 Princess ships out there. Prices are ridiculously low out of all ports. Why would RCCL feel the need to enter this market.

We're just glad to have any RCI ship to test out the water's here again, even on a limited basis.

Just when many think they know what RCI will do..."Surprise" !!

Many of us said "if they come back we will book" and have we ever..Can't wait for my Jewel Sept 2015 Pacific Northwest :D

Agreed! I do my bit by "shopping on board"! I sailed on the Mariner and don't remember it being "underbooked". Were the Mexico problems that flared being the main reason for pulling out? Air fare being so expensive now(more so in Canada) making west coast sailing very attractive to Western Canada .

It's been mentioned, but worth repeating. The whole quesion of how you get an Oasis class ship to the west coast is a big one.

You get in there the same way they got Mariner there. It's not really a question at all -- the ship would have to go all the way around South America. But that experience having Mariner on the west coast was a total disaster for RCCL, so there is no way they are going to bring an even larger vessel over. Oasis class is not going to the west coast. Someone should take the question mark off of the thread title and put a period there instead.

Edited by gjkubel