Tauck

mdtcoll

We used Tauck's air for our 2013 cruise. The fare was cheaper than what we could do ourselves. Dealing with Tauck's air department was a piece of cake. They were so accommodating when I wanted to change one of the flights. I wouldn't hesitate to use their air again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BlewWater -

Thanks very much for posting the link to your amazing blog. The information and photos contained therein are remarkably useful as we plan for our Ams-Bud cruise.

Your fellow Pacific Northwesterners are grateful to you (although I will admit that I found your statement that the salmon on a European riverboat was that good compared to our regional product shocked me a bit ;) ).

Cheers, Fred

Edited by freddie

. I wrote an extensive review of our experience here:

http://www.1mpages.com/ReviewTauckRiverCruise.html

Hopefully that will be helpful. If you end up chosing Tauck, I don't think you will be disappointed. Indeed, it could very well cause you to be disappointed if you travel on other river boats after that!

Happy travels!

Dear BlewWater,

Thank you for that great trip story. Because of financial constraints, we had never chosen Tauck for a river cruise. However, we now have 2 Tauck land tours booked for next year, and am looking at one for 2016.

Just read the Tauck FAQ on Air, and everywhere it says,

Tauck offers special fares (subject to availability), for most travel originating in the U.S., to Alaska, Hawaii, and destinations outside of the U.S. (except Canada)."

I read the "except Canada" as meaning that they do not arrange flights from same. Weird, and kind of a pity, although not the end of the world. It's just nice to have options. Wonder why they include the "destinations outside of the U.S., but not Canada?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Just read the Tauck FAQ on Air, and everywhere it says,

Tauck offers special fares (subject to availability), for most travel originating in the U.S., to Alaska, Hawaii, and destinations outside of the U.S. (except Canada)."

I read the "except Canada" as meaning that they do not arrange flights from same. Weird, and kind of a pity, although not the end of the world. It's just nice to have options. Wonder why they include the "destinations outside of the U.S., but not Canada?

That's not how I would read it, and certainly not how I would have drafted it if I meant to say what you got out of it. The parenthesis should modify the word it comes directly after (meaning they fly from the US to places outside the US, but -- recognizing that Canada is not part of the US -- they don't fly folks from the US to Canada). Of course that wouldn't make any sense for river cruises, since Tauck doesn't have cruises in Canada (that I know of) -- but maybe this is boilerplate from their land tour operation which does have trips in Canada.

But we could debate proper drafting all day and still not get you the answer you want. Only Tauck can resolve this.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Wendy

I know from following different threads that you have been trying to decide which cruise line to go with. I chose Uniworld for my first las July and loved it and am waiting for the 2016 itineraries to be released to book my second. However, I am also heavily looking at Tauck. Just curious why you are choosing Tauck over Uniworld or AMA??

Wendy

I know from following different threads that you have been trying to decide which cruise line to go with. I chose Uniworld for my first las July and loved it and am waiting for the 2016 itineraries to be released to book my second. However, I am also heavily looking at Tauck. Just curious why you are choosing Tauck over Uniworld or AMA??

Well, when we looked at a more or less middle-range cabin, Uniworld prices were higher than Tauck, and AMA were only slightly lower (and not as inclusive). Plus we're cruising with friends, and although they were open to any of the three, they favoured Tauck. Smaller number of pax than either Uniworld of AMA. Plus the Uniworld decor seems a bit over the top for me.

It's a lot of money for us, but we're at that "what the hell, it's only money", point in our lives.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Thanks Wendy!

From what I can glean from all the threads and reviews that you really can't go wrong with Tauck, Uniworld, and AMA. Each one has a slight edge in one area or another. Between Tauck and Uniworld I even find the pricing varies depending upon itinerary and discounts. I think that on a whole people have such a good experience with these lines that they end up staying with them for subsequent trip because as they say if its not broken don't fix it. So even though I'm staying with Uniworld for my next one(only ones currently do the Po in Italy) I think Tauck will be in our future as well. Good luck!

I've read a lot of very positive comments about Tauck land tours and river cruises. We'll be taking a small group land trip with them in 2015 and we have our eye on a river cruise for 2016. I know Tauck offers the "Gift of Time" hotel benefit for returning river cruise passengers. Does anybody know if this extends to previous land trip clients?

Also on many ocean cruiselines, there is an opportunity to book a future cruise while onboard. The advance booking usually comes with some benefits, such as reduced deposit, OBC or x% discount. Does Tauck have anything similar on either their land tours or river cruises?

Bleuwater, if you're still around, kudos on your exceptional travelogue of your Tauck river cruise. It's simply outstanding. You also mention that you have previously taken Tauck land trips. Which itineraries? Do you have travelogues for any of them? Thanks!

I've read a lot of very positive comments about Tauck land tours and river cruises. We'll be taking a small group land trip with them in 2015 and we have our eye on a river cruise for 2016. I know Tauck offers the "Gift of Time" hotel benefit for returning river cruise passengers. Does anybody know if this extends to previous land trip clients?

In 2013 we took a Tauck land tour, and we were offered the Gift of Time hotel benefit which could be used in conjunction with either a land tour or river cruise in 2014. This year we took a Tauck river cruise where we used the Gift of Time. For 2015 we were again offered the Gift of Time and we are using it in conjunction with a land tour.

Tauck could change or eliminate the program in the future, so there are no guarantees. The free hotel night pre or post tour / cruise is a wonderful perk to award past guests and we hope it continues!

There is no other discount directly from Tauck: no onboard booking discount, no early booking discount. Some TAs, however, may offer an incentive for booking with them.

Hello JP1320,

4 days in Cologne! What an opportunity to see places in and around Cologne. Having said that, from Cologne you can go to many, many places by train that you will never see on a river cruise simply because there is no navigable river in the vicinity. Fast train services are very good (well, generally when there is no strike or snow) but there are also long-distance coach services to smaller towns. I find the google maps feature of putting in the photos to explore the area a great way of finding interesting places.

Somewhere there is a thread "Sundays in Cologne" with some suggestions. If you like palaces Schloss Augustusburg is magnificent.

I had a look at the Tauck itinerary Rhine and Moselle for 2015. They go to great places. I also like the fact that they do not go to Breisach on their Romantic Rhine itinerary.

notamermaid

An overcast morning in the Rhine valley. Temperatures getting colder, close to freezing point. Snow forecast for Tuesday.

In 2013 we took a Tauck land tour, and we were offered the Gift of Time hotel benefit which could be used in conjunction with either a land tour or river cruise in 2014. This year we took a Tauck river cruise where we used the Gift of Time. For 2015 we were again offered the Gift of Time and we are using it in conjunction with a land tour.

Tauck could change or eliminate the program in the future, so there are no guarantees. The free hotel night pre or post tour / cruise is a wonderful perk to award past guests and we hope it continues!

There is no other discount directly from Tauck: no onboard booking discount, no early booking discount. Some TAs, however, may offer an incentive for booking with them.

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Our Tauck land trip is March 2015 so hopefully they'll keep the program and we'll get the Gift of Time for our 2016 river cruise. I also appreciate the confirmation that Tauck doesn't offer any early booking or onboard incentives. Our TA does offer a modest discount so we're happy for that.

Bleuwater, if you're still around, kudos on your exceptional travelogue of your Tauck river cruise. It's simply outstanding. You also mention that you have previously taken Tauck land trips. Which itineraries? Do you have travelogues for any of them? Thanks!

Thanks! The travelogues take a lot of time, but are fun to do. Yes, we do have them for some of our other Tauck land-based tours. I hope you enjoy them; here they are.

Best of Ireland:

Spain and Portugal:

Paradors of Northern Spain:

Classic Italy:

Notamermaid, again, thank you for your input. It is so nice to have somebody local provide the likes of this information, especially for first time visitors. We are looking forward to our extra few days before and after our cruise, which we normally do, will be flying out on Tuesday. Upon our return I will be able to update you.

JP1320

QUOTE=notamermaid;44857337]Hello JP1320,

4 days in Cologne! What an opportunity to see places in and around Cologne. Having said that, from Cologne you can go to many, many places by train that you will never see on a river cruise simply because there is no navigable river in the vicinity. Fast train services are very good (well, generally when there is no strike or snow) but there are also long-distance coach services to smaller towns. I find the google maps feature of putting in the photos to explore the area a great way of finding interesting places.

Somewhere there is a thread "Sundays in Cologne" with some suggestions. If you like palaces Schloss Augustusburg is magnificent.

I had a look at the Tauck itinerary Rhine and Moselle for 2015. They go to great places. I also like the fact that they do not go to Breisach on their Romantic Rhine itinerary.

notamermaid

An overcast morning in the Rhine valley. Temperatures getting colder, close to freezing point. Snow forecast for Tuesday.

We are doing this Tauck cruise Sept. of 2016. Looks wonderful and we were able to book a large cabin. have never been on a Tauck cruise but took a land tour with them many years ago. Hope that gets us the special extra night in Paris!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, like all good things they come to an end. We had a wonderful time on this cruise, Tauck is first class in everything they say and do. From their customer relations to the on board amenities to the pre cruise planning and post cruise, all went like clock work. The various markets are a treat, each has it's own identity, yes there are duplication's of products for sale, but they all have something different, you just have to look a little harder.

The Northern Rhine Cruise suited us perfectly as we wanted Premium time at the end on our own in Cologne, which we maximized and managed to see all of the Christmas Markets, spend extensive time at the Cathedral, took a day trip to Dusseldorf and took full advantage of the train/tram tickets. We could not believe the weather, yes cold but only one day of rain.

Amazing thing with Tauck, it is the little things that stick in your mind, like the 20 Euros each to have lunch in Riquewihr or the ten Euros each to buy a little ornament to decorate one of the many Christmas trees on board, the ornament you get to keep, to the small, but much appreciated gifts along the way. Food on board is first class, rooms are very comfortable and beds are the same. All in all Tauck gets big big kudos from both my wife and I.:):):):):)

We are doing this Tauck cruise Sept. of 2016. Looks wonderful and we were able to book a large cabin. have never been on a Tauck cruise but took a land tour with them many years ago. Hope that gets us the special extra night in Paris!

We did this cruise with Vantage, but our trip story will give you an idea of the cruise. Here is the link:

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/burgundy2012.pdf

We booked the top of the Eiffel Tower on line months ahead. Try to get a time where it is just before twilight so you can see the lights come on around Paris.

We are happy to answer any questions.

P.S. We have 2 Tauck land tours booked for 2015.

Happy Holidays!

Well, like all good things they come to an end. We had a wonderful time on this cruise, Tauck is first class in everything they say and do. From their customer relations to the on board amenities to the pre cruise planning and post cruise, all went like clock work. The various markets are a treat, each has it's own identity, yes there are duplication's of products for sale, but they all have something different, you just have to look a little harder.

The Northern Rhine Cruise suited us perfectly as we wanted Premium time at the end on our own in Cologne, which we maximized and managed to see all of the Christmas Markets, spend extensive time at the Cathedral, took a day trip to Dusseldorf and took full advantage of the train/tram tickets. We could not believe the weather, yes cold but only one day of rain.

Amazing thing with Tauck, it is the little things that stick in your mind, like the 20 Euros each to have lunch in Riquewihr or the ten Euros each to buy a little ornament to decorate one of the many Christmas trees on board, the ornament you get to keep, to the small, but much appreciated gifts along the way. Food on board is first class, rooms are very comfortable and beds are the same. All in all Tauck gets big big kudos from both my wife and I.:):):):):)

My Mom traveled with Tauck after my Dad died. She said they were the only company that actually looked after single seniors. She and her friend missed lunch one day because they "just couldn't eat all that food" and the TM knocked on their door to inquire if they were ill or unhappy with the food. It's a top of the line company with prices to match and yes, you get what you pay for.

We did this cruise with Vantage, but our trip story will give you an idea of the cruise. Here is the link:

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/burgundy2012.pdf

We booked the top of the Eiffel Tower on line months ahead. Try to get a time where it is just before twilight so you can see the lights come on around Paris.

We are happy to answer any questions.

P.S. We have 2 Tauck land tours booked for 2015.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you so much. Some of the places that Tauck goes are the same and we will review with your wonderful descriptions.