Inoculations for Central America and Panama Canal

first time cruising

I have posted a thread on our roll call for thoughts on inoculations for the above cruise. Husband and I are booked on the 32 day cruise from San Pedro to Venice via the Panama Canal in March 2015. My husband is convinced we should have all the injections to cover any sort of disease that may be in those areas. Of course we will visit the Travel Doctor before we leave but was just trying to get some feed back from seasoned cruisers. Thanks :confused:

I have posted a thread on our roll call for thoughts on inoculations for the above cruise. Husband and I are booked on the 32 day cruise from San Pedro to Venice via the Panama Canal in March 2015. My husband is convinced we should have all the injections to cover any sort of disease that may be in those areas. Of course we will visit the Travel Doctor before we leave but was just trying to get some feed back from seasoned cruisers. Thanks :confused:

You don't need any shots. We have been doing this route back and forth for many years. Only shot you need is YF if you go to Devil's Island (which you are not).

You can check the CDC website for specifics. We did not get the yellow fever shot last winter prior to our cruise that included Panama Canal, and ports in Ecuador and Peru. It was not indicated for the one day stops. We are spending 6 weeks in South America this winter, and It is indicated for this length of time and the number of countries we are visiting. We are doing several land tours and two cruises.

We are going to a travel clinic to get our shots, high altitude meds, and malaria prophylaxis.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No vaccinations required. Only if you were going to Devil's Island.

That said, it's always a good idea to have your normal vaccinations up-to-date, including tetanus. If you're older, get both the pneumonia and shingles vaccinations in addition to a flu shot.

Of course we will visit the Travel Doctor before we leave but was just trying to get some feed back from seasoned cruisers. Thanks :confused:

Don't let the clinic confuse you as to what is needed in various parts of countries being visited vs. being on a cruise ship and the limited areas excursions may take you.

As others have posted, there should be no special required inoculations.

Yellow Fever. Even if the visit is short, a person can still be bitten by a mosquito.

As I understand it, mosquitoes are not a problem on Royale Island (the Island actually visited), but Yellow Fever is a problem on the mainland of French Guiana.

Thus, anyone who visits any part of French Guiana which includes Royale Island is required by some countries (such as Brazil) to have a YF innoculation in order to enter those countries.

As I understand it, mosquitoes are not a problem on Royale Island (the Island actually visited), but Yellow Fever is a problem on the mainland of French Guiana.

Thus, anyone who visits any part of French Guiana which includes Royale Island is required by some countries (such as Brazil) to have a YF innoculation in order to enter those countries.

Maybe that's why our cruise ship went to Iles du Salut (French name of he same 3 islands) after it had been to Brazil. By the way, I did not see a single mosquito on this tiny island.

Might be a loaded question but what is on Devil's Island? I don't think I want to visit already.

Susan

We did not go to Devil's Island, but tendered to Royale Island nearby. Both have yellow fever and both were part of the French penal colony. Its most well known prisoner was Dreyfus. He was one who got out alive