Carribean Ports - help please for Aussie

Goingagin

Hi everybody - especially all those of you who travel this area frequently on your cruises.

We are heading to the Carribean in 2016 and our ports of call are

1) Oranjestad - Aruba

2) El Guanmache - Venezula

3) St Georges - Grenada

4) Castries - Saint Lucia

5) Fort de France - Martinique

6) Bridge Town - Barbados

7) Scarborough - Trinidad and Tabago

A) Can you please tell me what is THE BEST thing to see/do in each of these ports. I realise beaches are a big issues there as are coral reefs - but those we have downunder- so whats really different or special that I might not see/do elsewhere. Like markets, local colour, RUINS, walks (reasonable - we're in our 60's) - not big shoppers.

B) Also - any info on docking for these ports - can you walk off into town or is transport needed.

C) Best SHIPS tours you have done at these ports

D) best tour companies for each port.

E) safety issues

F) dock side tour operators

I realise this is a huge ask but am hoping for some enlightenment - To try all the different threads for these ports will take me 10 years - so.. I started my own in hopes you will all be so kind to condense information for me on this one thread.

Thanks - Gerry:)

Be sure to also visit the ports of call boards.

Gerry, there are ports of call boards under the Caribbean for most of these ports and you can get a lot of great information there.

I wanted to comment on a couple of them.

In Barbades you can walk right off the ship. If you like to walk it is a nice safe walk into town and you can walk mainly by the shore line and it is about 30 minutes. On that side there are beaches and on the other side you will pass some stores along the way. There is a lot to see in the downtown area.

In Aruba you can walk along the shoreline too and on the other side there are stores and restaurants.

Some people take taxis to quaint locations on the island but it is very nice near the port.

Have a great time.

Keith

For St Lucia, I really enjoyed a catamaran sail excursion that I took to The Pitons. So much that I will be doing it again in a couple of months on another cruise.

I second the catamaran sailing to the Pitons.

We also enjoyed the submarine at Aruba and snorkeling in Barbados.

Edited by Grannycb

Another great tour of St. Lucia:

http://www.realsaintluciatours.com/island-expo.html

Island Expo Tour

St. Lucia has the world's ONLY drive through volcano - it is really interesting, as are the Pitons and also the Botanical Garden. Well...really everything on St. Lucia is interesting! They have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world - definitely bring your camera! Don't forget to get your Banana Catsup!

For Barbados, I highly recommend this photography tour - even if you are not into photography!

Mr. Carrington knows EVERYONE on the island of Barbados and the best places to go to get amazing photos.

http://ronniecarrington.com/photo_holidays.cfm

Edited by SuiteTraveler

What you need is a guidebook on the Caribbean! That way, you can find out about all of your ports, decide what interests you in each place, and then you can decide HOW to do it! Go to a library....they have guidebooks....or buy one...it's a good investment!

What you need is a guidebook on the Caribbean! That way, you can find out about all of your ports, decide what interests you in each place, and then you can decide HOW to do it! Go to a library....they have guidebooks....or buy one...it's a good investment!

Thanks cb at sea.

Got a great book - Fodors Caribbean Cruises - even describes our ship. We have not cruised with Oceania before so that was good info in the pages. (Generally Oceania do not come so far south). Will make notes as hauling books around the world is HEAVY in the luggage.

Still..... any handy hints and personal information is good on any of the ports

Gerry

Hi- We have taken tours in Aruba, Isla Margarita, St. Lucia, Barbados, and

Martinique.

Should emphasize the importance of tours in Isla Margarita, St. Lucia, and Martinique. We did ship's tours on each of those islands.

In Isla Margarita we went to La Restinga Lagoon and the Zoo. We were glad to have a Spanish/English speaking guide.

In St. Lucia, where the roads are narrow and winding, we did a tour from Castries through the countryside with several stops. Glad we had a good bus driver.

In Martinique, we had a French/English speaking guide on our tour to St. Pierre, the Volcano Museum, through the Rain Forest, and to Balata Gardens. It was a very good tour.

In Aruba, we toured the countryside by bus, but later went on our own to Palm Beach which was fun. Aruba is an island where we feel we can take a taxi to different locations.

In Barbados, we also took a bus tour around the island- to Andromeda Gardens, Franconia Plantation, and St. John's Church. Another time, we just took a bus to Carlisle Bay beach where we enjoyed a great day.

There are so many good tours and the port forums have lots of reviews.

Enjoy your planning.