Who supplies the meat?

Boatharbour

Yesterday my mother arrived back in Sydney after a wonderful cruise on the Century. She enjoyed the food at the buffet, but had problems on several occasions with the meat in the MDR.

The lamb and veal were so tough that her waiter offered to cut it up. Not only for her , but for other passengers having the same problem. Does anyone know where Celebrity purchases it's meat or is this perhaps a cooking issue?

I know this is a first world problem as any cruise is a good cruise, but it wasn't an isolated event on this particular trip.

Yesterday my mother arrived back in Sydney after a wonderful cruise on the Century. She enjoyed the food at the buffet, but had problems on several occasions with the meat in the MDR.

The lamb and veal were so tough that her waiter offered to cut it up. Not only for her , but for other passengers having the same problem. Does anyone know where Celebrity purchases it's meat or is this perhaps a cooking issue?

I know this is a first world problem as any cruise is a good cruise, but it wasn't an isolated event on this particular trip.

AHOY SHIPMATE, ONE reason or a combination of three; cheap meat of poor quality(denied by cruise line), over cooked, and cooked to far in advance and kept too long in a warmer before being served.

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN..

We find that many places over cook lamb and veal. Many people don't like their lamb and veal slightly pink in the middle. The same goes for beef and pork. Over cooked meat is tough even a filet.

The lowest bidder supplies the meat!

When we were on a Hawaiian cruise on Century, we had a lecture/ demonstration by the Australian chef.

He said that their supplies of meat came from USA, wherever in the world that the ship might be.

When we were on a Hawaiian cruise on Century, we had a lecture/ demonstration by the Australian chef.

He said that their supplies of meat came from USA, wherever in the world that the ship might be.

According to Silhouette executive chef, pretty much everything is supplied from USA and shipped worldwide. He said they place an order 3-4 months in advance.

In my opinion there are few items better than a good hamburger - which I've yet to find on a Celebrity ship. I believe that the major issue with the meats on Celebrity ships is that they are stored frozen. It's difficult to turn frozen meat into a tasty meal.

lamb and veal are SUPPOSED to be served no doner than medium rare. but that is pretty much not going to happen on a ship that has to plate so many at once, plus all those people who do not trust the chef to cook it properly and demand it medium or worse. then you add on the down time were they are being dried out under heat lamps, and well..

I only order lamb from a specialty, since they can cook it properly. and I never eat veal anyway.

...I only order lamb from a specialty, since they can cook it properly. and I never eat veal anyway.

The rack of lamb is my absolute favorite dish in the main dining room and I always order it whenever it is on the menu. In general the rack of lamb dishes on Celebrity are prepared with some sort of seasoning that makes them better than any rack of lamb I've ever had on land. I've never had a serving of this that was prepared poorly or where I found the meat to be substandard.

In general, I've found the quality of the beef served in the dining room to vary a lot from cruise to cruise. Sometimes the steaks or other beef is great and sometimes a bit tough. If it's overcooked or dried out then send it back either for a second try or something different.

Edited by Lsimon

Interesting re the hamburgers on Celebrity. It used to be that you could not get a rare hamburger at the Mast Grill on S-Class ships. But you could get one at lunch in the MDR. Then a few cruises ago on Silhouette I noticed a sign at the Mast Grill saying you could now get burgers cooked to order. My DH was thrilled. That was the case on Silhouette and on Reflection on April's TA. However, on the October Reflection TA, not only could you no longer get it cooked rare at the Mast Grill, you also could not get it rare in the MDR. My husband questioned the waiter and he said their meat supplier had changed and it was for our own "safety."

In my opinion there are few items better than a good hamburger - which I've yet to find on a Celebrity ship. I believe that the major issue with the meats on Celebrity ships is that they are stored frozen. It's difficult to turn frozen meat into a tasty meal.

I have absolutely no problem in producing very tasty and tender meals from meat kept in our freezer, and I am in no way trained as a chef.

You don't have to keep meat frozen. Meat can be chilled for up to 60 days before it needs to be frozen.

Where did you get this information?

Freshly slaughtered meat can't even be held that long in refrigeration.

Personally, I would prefer knowing that meat was frozen, rather than sitting in a refrigerator for two months!

We're on a cruise, and food poisoning isn't an option.

Where did you get this information?

Freshly slaughtered meat can't even be held that long in refrigeration.

Personally, I would prefer knowing that meat was frozen, rather than sitting in a refrigerator for two months!

We're on a cruise, and food poisoning isn't an option.

Many butchers hang the meat for a minimum of 28 days to age the meat.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Many butchers hang the meat for a minimum of 28 days to age the meat.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

We're not talking about high-end butchers dry aging prime steaks.

We're talking about ALL types of meat - veal, lamb, beef, and all kinds of cuts - including things like ground meats.

I still don't know where someone would get the information that refrigerating MEAT for two months is safe.

I have absolutely no problem in producing very tasty and tender meals from meat kept in our freezer, and I am in no way trained as a chef.
Nor do I. Here is information about frozen meat from a butcher:

Q. Isn’t your frozen meat a substandard product to the fresh?

A. No. We believe that our frozen meat is flawless in comparison to our fresh, other than the possibility of slight discoloration (see question below). We do not let our meat sit in the fresh meat case for a week and then freeze it. We give it two days and either freeze it or (with some cuts) use it as a ground product, stew meat, a tenderized cut, etc. This ensures that it remains a fresh tasting product.

Nor do I. Here is information about frozen meat from a butcher:

Q. Isn’t your frozen meat a substandard product to the fresh?

A. No. We believe that our frozen meat is flawless in comparison to our fresh, other than the possibility of slight discoloration (see question below). We do not let our meat sit in the fresh meat case for a week and then freeze it. We give it two days and either freeze it or (with some cuts) use it as a ground product, stew meat, a tenderized cut, etc. This ensures that it remains a fresh tasting product.

And that makes perfect sense!

(Again, the exception would be a butcher who dry-ages beef.)

Having attended just about every "Celebrity Galley Tour" known to mankind (yes, it is getting very boring) the question of "Where does all the meat come from?" is always asked.

Exec Chief's answer: "All meat is from the United States. USDA inspected. Exceptions: Lamb - Australia/New Zealand. Shipped by air to every port where the ships are re-supplied"

Think about that cost for a moment!

2MC

Its not the food you need to be concerned about, its the people with poor hygiene standards that cause the food poisoning problems. Self service on cruise ships are should be limited to tea or coffee, food serving should be a no-go area for passengers.

Having attended just about every "Celebrity Galley Tour" known to mankind (yes, it is getting very boring) the question of "Where does all the meat come from?" is always asked.

Exec Chief's answer: "All meat is from the United States. USDA inspected. Exceptions: Lamb - Australia/New Zealand. Shipped by air to every port where the ships are re-supplied"

Think about that cost for a moment!

2MC

I've heard this before, but like you I think about the cost and wonder if it is true or not. I can't imagine them air shipping mass quantities of meat to the ships sailing across the ocean be it Europe, Australia or the Orient.

I can't find the tread as it was a couple years back, but I remember a thread discussing beef being sourced from a supplier in Europe. Can't recall the main point it the thread but I think it had something to do with the quality of the steaks.

I also wonder if the "Colorado Rack of Lamb" is from New Zealand or Australia".

Edited by Lsimon

Its not the food you need to be concerned about, its the people with poor hygiene standards that cause the food poisoning problems. Self service on cruise ships are should be limited to tea or coffee, food serving should be a no-go area for passengers.

Of course poor hygiene is a major concern, but improperly stored foods (refrigerated too long, at the wrong temp, etc) are ALSO a serious issue.

To say we don't need to be concerned about the food is just not accurate.