New Port Everglades Season - Changes?

sail7seas

I am that "someone," and was neither pot-stirring nor attention-seeking. We haven't sailed from Port Everglades for a couple of years when taxis and Embarkation Lunch were of course on offer. Our TA informed us, emphatically, that this was the case no longer. I was incredulous and asked Judy to confirm--as she has graciously done, along with many of you helpful cruisers, that his information is false.

He also emphasized that the dress code is two formal, two informal, and three casual nights for a seven night cruise, which had always been our happy experience. Misinformation again, I find, but a code that we shall continue to observe.

Shall have a word with TA.

:) You are a 'stand up' person and I thank you.

I was more than willing to take the 'hits' but appreciate you clearing the air.

I agree with those who say your TA may wish to take a refresher course. So much misinformation is worrisome.

[/b]

Sounds like "someone" was out to lunch or just looking for attention.;)

I am that "someone," and was neither pot-stirring nor attention-seeking. We haven't sailed from Port Everglades for a couple of years when taxis and Embarkation Lunch were of course on offer. Our TA informed us, emphatically, that this was the case no longer. I was incredulous and asked Judy to confirm--as she has graciously done, along with many of you helpful cruisers, that his information is false.

He also emphasized that the dress code is two formal, two informal, and three casual nights for a seven night cruise, which had always been our happy experience. Misinformation again, I find, but a code that we shall continue to observe.

Hope your 'someone' comment has been clarified.

Hope your 'someone' comment has been clarified.

If someone had told me that taxis were no longer allowed in Port Everglades I would have thought it through and would have known it was a preposterous idea. Certainly not worth raising an unnecessary alarm on CC.

Had you posted on here, being a member of CC anyway, you would have gotten a quicker, and accurate response especially from those recently sailed, and living there. As others have said, dump your TA.

Wow, I agree its time to find a new travel agent.

I copied this directly from my edocs for my 12/14 cruise on Eurodam:

Dress Code: 2 Formal and 5 Smart Casual Nights

HAL did away with Informal nights long ago. There are two dress codes for HAL on all cruises..... formal and smart casual.

HAL did away with Informal nights long ago. There are two dress codes for HAL on all cruises..... formal and smart casual.

I never thought I would type this, but I have reached a point where I wish HAL would do away with Formal Nights too. I don't mind dressing in a suit and tie because I do it every day and I'm totally comfortable dressed that way. But, it seems like the formal nights on HAL have really begun to lose the luster and participation over the years.

We're becoming a casual society. Even the company I work for has gone to business casual for the majority of our employees, which given the conservative and traditional history of the company, I never saw that happening. But, it has.

Alas, maybe its time HAL strides with the times.

Edited by jaguarstyper

Had you posted on here, being a member of CC anyway, you would have gotten a quicker, and accurate response especially from those recently sailed, and living there. As others have said, dump your TA.

That's the great thing about cruise critic. I've learned a ton from this site. I'm a person that believes what people say who should be in the know. Speaking of the ta here. That is the problem with so many in the workforce. Somehow they get the idea that any answer will do no matter how wrong. There is no harm in saying I don't know but I'll find out. I've worked the oil industry for over 30 years and I'm still learning and I've been told I'm technically very strong.

I never thought I would type this, but I have reached a point where I wish HAL would do away with Formal Nights too. I don't mind dressing in a suit and tie because I do it every day and I'm totally comfortable dressed that way. But, it seems like the formal nights on HAL have really begun to lose the luster and participation over the years.

We're becoming a casual society. Even the company I work for has gone to business casual for the majority of our employees, which given the conservative and traditional history of the company, I never saw that happening. But, it has.

Alas, maybe its time HAL strides with the times.

Yeah, I'm getting to that point too. I do dress formally but as I was packing my suitcase I thought I'd rather not bring this. I never thought id say that. I still find the MDR very full on formal nights.

Edited by cruz chic

Let's face it....

HAL stopped doing formal nights when they started to describe gentlemen's suitable wardrobe as jacket and tie. That used to be what they termed Informal.

Formal Night is for all intents and purposes finished on HAL.

And sad to say, Sail7seas, IMHO. Not only on HAL, of course, but also on our recent crossings (!) on Crystal and even, gasp, Queens' Grill. Slipping . . . .

But still have a warm feeling for HAL. After all, DW's third trans-atlantic crossing was on HAL, Rotterdam to NYC in December 1958. No dress-up. Everyone was beastly ill.

We were very glad to hear that there are still taxis to the port. We have a cruise coming up and we were trying to fashion a raft out of old inner tubes and plywood so that we could paddle across the intracoastal to Port Everglades. Have you tried to find an inner tube lately? Darned young whippersnappers and their fancy tubeless radial tires! :D

Can't you take a water taxi? Where would you park your raft?

I know you are joking but there is actually an awesome water taxi service in Fort Lauderdale.

Watertaxi.com

However it only gets you near the port, there isn't an actual stop at the port proper.

We were very glad to hear that there are still taxis to the port. We have a cruise coming up and we were trying to fashion a raft out of old inner tubes and plywood so that we could paddle across the intracoastal to Port Everglades. Have you tried to find an inner tube lately? Darned young whippersnappers and their fancy tubeless radial tires! :D

But you've got to love those big truck inner tubes at the beach!

Sorry for going off topic.

Edited by OVgirl

Thank you. Done with work, now just the last minute packing and clean the condo. If the plane isn't frozen to the ground I'll be out of here at 6am Friday :eek:.

Hopefully, there will be no power outage at Calgary International Airport this time! ;) And may your luggage travel with you! :D

Edited by GeriatricNurse

I know you are joking but there is actually an awesome water taxi service in Fort Lauderdale.

Watertaxi.com

However it only gets you near the port, there isn't an actual stop at the port proper.

I know, that is why I joked about it. ;)

• 1 month later...

there is a rare occasion when the Mariner's Lunch is not offered on embark day due to scheduling or other events on board, but rest assured it will be offered later in the cruise. I can not imagine they will ever stop the lunch.

there is a rare occasion when the Mariner's Lunch is not offered on embark day due to scheduling or other events on board, but rest assured it will be offered later in the cruise. I can not imagine they will ever stop the lunch.

If HAL has another event going on in the MDR during Embarkation such as Charitable event, TA's, Lunch for Community Children or the like, I have never heard of them offering Embarkation Lunch on another day during the cruise. Perhaps you are thinking of the Mariner's Brunch which is when Medallions are awarded and all Mariners are invited. It's confusing but they are two separate functions.