Are "Upsells" at the pier vs. Upsells before that day...

LastUsernameEver

I was offered a fairly pricey Upsell to a suite, which would double my cruise fare (from a balcony cabin).

Anyone know if the upsale offers they make on the day of departure are less expensive than the ones emailed to Pax a few days before departure?

The cruise I'm on still has a ton of available suites.

Edited by LastUsernameEver
typo

No upsells at the pier or onboard. We have almost always seen a sign at the Passenger Services Deck stating that the cruise was sailing full, even when we knew there we a significant number of vacant cabins. Don't think Princess wants the hassles.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

No upsells at the pier or onboard. We have almost always seen a sign at the Passenger Services Deck stating that the cruise was sailing full, even when we knew there we a significant number of vacant cabins. Don't think Princess wants the hassles.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Interesting. I guess on the day of departure, getting people onboard is enough of a feat. But, surprising that there's no way for Princess to get that extra revenue out of passengers. I'm staying in a block of balcony cabins with no one around me. Most any of us balcony Ppl could probably be convinced to pay 100 or 200 more. But, not double that...as was offered.

No worries though, I'm happy where I am.

I was offered a fairly pricey Upsell to a suite, which would double my cruise fare (from a balcony cabin).

Anyone know if the upsale offers they make on the day of departure are less expensive than the ones emailed to Pax a few days before departure?

The cruise I'm on still has a ton of available suites.

The same answers apply as when you asked essentially the same question on a different thread. The odds that you are going to get a cheap upsell to a suite now are, as they say, between slim and none. Just because the site shows available suites doesn't mean they won't upsell them to others before now and when you sail. It is not unheard of for Princess to sail with empty suites either. I hope you will just enjoy the balcony you booked and not be disappointed in the cruise when they don't upgrade you at the pier.

The same answers apply as when you asked essentially the same question on a different thread...

While I'll accept the finger-wag...the previous post was asking if they ever do a second round of emailed Upsell offers. The "At the pier Upsell" feels like a different question.

I'll drop it though. :rolleyes:

If you are requesting an upsell, you will pay more than if Princess is initiating it. Normally if you are asking for it, the extra cost is the difference between what you paid for your cabin and the current price for the one you want to change to.

Staff at the pier isn't able to do anything about cabins, so, no upsells or upgrades at the pier.

Got it.

Thanks.

Glad you "got it" and kind of a bummer it wasn't, perhaps, exactly what you would like to hear. However, since I see people posting that some other lines do have this practice of making an upsell at the pier available, I'd have to say it was an excellent question. I figure it's better to ask.

That's one of the great things about boards such as this. I don't care all that much if someone thinks I've asked a "stupid" question. I'd rather ask and "look stupid" than not ask and turn out to "be stupid" for not asking.

Text is a pretty poor medium so I'm hoping that you understand I am not saying that you "look stupid" by asking but rather that you were doing the smart thing and asking despite what some unknown person may think is a "stupid question". Most folks here understand and don't judge all that much. There are probably those here on CC who feel I've asked some pretty "stupid" questions but they are the minority. (Well, in my case maybe not... :rolleyes:) Most people are more than happy to help.

Glad you "got it" and kind of a bummer it wasn't, perhaps, exactly what you would like to hear. However, since I see people posting that some other lines do have this practice of making an upsell at the pier available, I'd have to say it was an excellent question. I figure it's better to ask.

That's one of the great things about boards such as this. I don't care all that much if someone thinks I've asked a "stupid" question. I'd rather ask and "look stupid" than not ask and turn out to "be stupid" for not asking.

Text is a pretty poor medium so I'm hoping that you understand I am not saying that you "look stupid" by asking but rather that you were doing the smart thing and asking despite what some unknown person may think is a "stupid question". Most folks here understand and don't judge all that much. There are probably those here on CC who feel I've asked some pretty "stupid" questions but they are the minority. (Well, in my case maybe not... :rolleyes:) Most people are more than happy to help.

Thrak,

I understood every word...and I appreciate your support.

Many of your postings have been, and (I hope) will continue to be helpful to me.

If we ever find ourselves on a ship together...the first drink's on me!

:-)

I was at the Passenger Services Desk and a woman was literally yelling at the staff that her "room was way to small" and that she demanded a larger cabin! The typical "This Ship is Sailing Full" was on the counter but they worked to accommodate the lady with an available cabin which turned out to be a mini-suite.

They produced some paperwork and when they told her she would be responsible for the additional cost (which I imagine was substantially more than she had paid) she literally melted down in front of all of us!

She huffed away after providing all of us with a macabre level of entertainment that afternoon. Everyone in line snickered a bit and person for person consoled the staff for the grief they had just experienced.

I saw the lady on the cruise and she seemed to be uptight all the time. I tell people that it is impossible to not have a great time on a cruise, but for this lady, a clear exception to that rule.

Happy Cruising:D:D

If you are requesting an upsell, you will pay more than if Princess is initiating it. Normally if you are asking for it, the extra cost is the difference between what you paid for your cabin and the current price for the one you want to change to.

I am sailing on a Nov 30 cruise (balcony cabin) and the following Dec 7 date still has balcony's available at a "New Reservations Only" rate that is good - but I had wondered about initiating contact to request what rate I could get to stay on for a b2b. After reading this I think I would be wasting my time. I am not requesting an "Upsell" but, if I am not ready to pay for the advertised sale, then I just don't stay on.

Edited by flip side of fifty