Is Lobster Back on Board???

funat55

But isn't it amazing how quickly they were able to fix the mistake and re-do the ad. Hmmmmmm.

Not amazing at all. As I said earlier a web page can be changed very quickly. What's amazing is that apparently no one who knows the product reviewed the magazine for accuracy.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me because to this day NCL's website says its ships dock at Kings Wharf in Bermuda, when for about the past 5 years (give or take a year) they've docked at Heritage Wharf.

It's symptomatic of poor management processes and quality controls in their corporate office. (IMO, the most glaring symptom is the poor knowledge level of their telephone customer service reps. I have to believe their training must be really deficient.)

Edited by njhorseman

Dear Norwegian Cruise Line;

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

*verified*,

Wow no Maine Lobster? No North American Lobster nor Shrimps?

Why?

It is at the lowest cost basis now. When embarking from NYC, NY ( The food capital of the world) your ships should be stock up with LOW~CoST Lobster for us Paying Cruisers..eh.. what... did I say..

With your IPO it raised a lot of funding to pay millions in the executives from Asia pockets. Why not put some of it now to consumables like LOBSTER, real Main Lobster!

You now are getting many very.. Un Happy !!

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. It was an error in our Latitudes Magazine that has been corrected. We apologize for any confusion.

Sincere gratitude,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations Team

Not amazing at all. As I said earlier a web page can be changed very quickly. What's amazing is that apparently no one who knows the product reviewed the magazine for accuracy.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me because to this day NCL's website says its ships dock at Kings Wharf in Bermuda, when for about the past 5 years (give or take a year) they've docked at Heritage Wharf.

It's symptomatic of poor management processes and quality controls in their corporate office. (IMO, the most glaring symptom is the poor knowledge level of their telephone customer service reps. I have to believe their training must be really deficient.)

You are so right. I remember reading that post so I knew it wouldn't be that hard to fix the problem. I was just baffled why they printed such a blunder in the first place. One should be able to rely on the information that is provided whether it be the printed word or a conversation with a service rep. Maybe they should take some of that money that they are not spending of giving us free lobster and re-train some of their personnel.

While not having lobster isn't a deal breaker for me it would still be nice if it was still offered. NCL's price point is somewhere between Royal and Carnival yet the those two lines still offer free lobster. If its a matter of cost or not wanting to lose revenue in the specialty restaurants on what used to be lobster night there is a viable solution. Royal and I'm pretty sure Carnival offer some premium steak and seafood selections in their MDR for an additional charge. I think if NCL offered a some premium items including prime steaks and lobster as an upcharge of say $10.00-$15.00 in their MDR the would have takers.

I have read multiple postings on the Royal Boards where folks paid the upcharge to get a premium cut of beef from the Chops specialty restaurant.

I just got off Carnival Inspiration a week ago and got the Maine Lobster option off the Steakhouse Selection Menu for a $20 upcharge. Well worth it as you can see by this picture I took:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/514/Lobster1.jpg

3 large claws and 1 & 1/2 tails - cooked perfectly!

Whether you like or dislike lobster, it has always been part of the cruise experience.....up until lately (on NCL). We should not have to chase down a venue to find out if they have the critter. Maybe NCL should add it to their games....scavenger hunt, perhaps! Some things should never be nickled and dimed in cost cutting efforts. Lobster is served on all other cruise lines.....get with the program NCL! BRING BACK THE TAIL!!!

Whether you like or dislike lobster, it has always been part of the cruise experience.....up until lately (on NCL). We should not have to chase down a venue to find out if they have the critter. Maybe NCL should add it to their games....scavenger hunt, perhaps! Some things should never be nickled and dimed in cost cutting efforts. Lobster is served on all other cruise lines.....get with the program NCL! BRING BACK THE TAIL!!!

I agree!

Can't disagree with you here. Carnival even has it on their 3 days cruises. I'm in the camp that wants the lobster back. For years it was the one entrée we looked forward to and it was a treat.

Can't disagree with you here. Carnival even has it on their 3 days cruises. I'm in the camp that wants the lobster back. For years it was the one entrée we looked forward to and it was a treat.

No it wasn't. It was awful. It was a baked from previously frozen warm water "lobster" tail that was chewy and flavorless. It shared no DNA and no flavor with a steamed, live cold-water lobster. I live in Florida and I like properly cooked (often grilled) fresh, warm water lobsters. What NCL served was nothing like a decent lobster. Even in La Bistro, the $10 upcharge tail, although from a cold-water lobster and generous in size, was previously frozen and overly chewy, largely tasting of the buttery sauce that it came slathered in. Lots of better food choices on board.

Edited by FLAHAM

You can also get a true lobster tail at Teppanyaki. However, it's gone from Le Bistro as they have changed it to cut up lobster in a butter/cream sauce. Not worth the extra $10 by any stretch of the imagination. It was barely enough meat for an appetizer, much less an entree.

The lobster dish at Le Bistro was the best dish I had week couple weeks ago in the Getaway. We are at Cagneys twice and it didn't compare to Le Bistro. Even the other table mates agreed that everything was better in Le Bistro.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can also get a true lobster tail at Teppanyaki. However, it's gone from Le Bistro as they have changed it to cut up lobster in a butter/cream sauce. Not worth the extra $10 by any stretch of the imagination. It was barely enough meat for an appetizer, much less an entree.

I'm glad that we weren't the only ones that thought that about the lobster in Le Bistro. It was chewy and tasteless even with the sauce! I would've been disappointed in it even if it was served in the MDR without the $30. charge. We did let them know and was eager to please us and asked if we wanted another one to replace it. No Way! We seen later that they did deduct the extra $10. surcharge.

This was on the Gem a couple weeks ago.

Don't lure me in like some fluke...I've been cruising for 40 years and realize cruise lines try to tow the line and keep prices down. Don't show me a lobster and steak and tell me it's part of your cruise if you really DON'T intend to serve it. Regardless, of all those who are willing to shell out extra in speciality restaurants for this little tail, I still maintain it is the principle of the inference.

Of course we can skip off to pay extra....no other cruise line makes you do that!

NCL GET IT???

No it wasn't. It was awful. It was a baked from previously frozen warm water "lobster" tail that was chewy and flavorless. It shared no DNA and no flavor with a steamed, live cold-water lobster. I live in Florida and I like properly cooked (often grilled) fresh, warm water lobsters. What NCL served was nothing like a decent lobster. Even in La Bistro, the $10 upcharge tail, although from a cold-water lobster and generous in size, was previously frozen and overly chewy, largely tasting of the buttery sauce that it came slathered in. Lots of better food choices on board.

I agree...in general the lobster we've been served on most cruise lines..NCL and others...has been awful.

There's a good reason the lobster tails were previously frozen. USPHS regulations require all ships cruising from US ports, or even just calling on US ports, to freeze meat and seafood....even if it was fresh when brought aboard.

Edited by njhorseman

Exactly!

Thanks for your OPINION but there are many here who disagree with your OPINION. :p

I sit here smiling about all of this. Things change.

Before there used to be baked Alaska.

That stopped

Before there used to be lobster.

That stopped

Be happy you're able to get away....

have a vacation....relax, have fun.

Someone else is cooking for you, cleaning up after you,

making your bed, providing you entertainment, etc. etc. etc.

If you really want baked Alaska - get it on land

If you really want Lobster - get it on land (at least you'll know it's not frozen - no one can really believe that the ships carry FRESH lobster, right?

If not having baked Alaska or lobster is *really* going to ruin your cruise....don't cruise or cruise elsewhere (where you can get your frozen lobster)

Enough said.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I sit here smiling about all of this. Things change.

Before there used to be baked Alaska.

That stopped

Before there used to be lobster.

That stopped

Be happy you're able to get away....

have a vacation....relax, have fun.

Someone else is cooking for you, cleaning up after you,

making your bed, providing you entertainment, etc. etc. etc.

If you really want baked Alaska - get it on land

If you really want Lobster - get it on land (at least you'll know it's not frozen - no one can really believe that the ships carry FRESH lobster, right?

If not having baked Alaska or lobster is *really* going to ruin your cruise....don't cruise or cruise elsewhere (where you can get your frozen lobster)

Enough said.

Harriet

I don't think (at least I hope not) that anyone has said not having lobster will ruin their cruise. But, at least for me, it's one tradition that I will not be able to fulfill. I specifically only eat lobster when i'm on a cruise so, at least on NCL, that will no longer be possible. Doesn't ruin anything, they have plenty of other good food, but it is a small irritant. Possibly (probably) enough to sway a coin toss decision between sailing NCL or another line (all other things being equal) though.

Edited by Out to sea!

I don't think (at least I hope not) that anyone has said not having lobster will ruin their cruise. But, at least for me, it's one tradition that I will not be able to fulfill. I specifically only eat lobster when i'm on a cruise so, at least on NCL, that will no longer be possible. Doesn't ruin anything, they have plenty of other good food, but it is a small irritant. Possibly (probably) enough to sway a coin toss decision between sailing NCL or another line (all other things being equal) though.

I agree !