Is Lobster Back on Board???

funat55

I cruised on the Jewel in February 2014 and May 2014 and they had lobster advertised as surf and turf both cruises in the mdr.

I read reviews from people who were on the same cruise I was on that said they had no lobster on the menu. They didn't know that surf and turf was lobster.

And my lobsters, I had 2 each time, were actually pretty good.

That's fine, but the latest menus do not have lobster or a "surf and turf" dish that includes lobster.

Feb. 2014, and May 2014, while not long ago, are ancient history as far as NCL's menus are concerned.

While not having lobster isn't a deal breaker for me it would still be nice if it was still offered. NCL's price point is somewhere between Royal and Carnival yet the those two lines still offer free lobster. If its a matter of cost or not wanting to lose revenue in the specialty restaurants on what used to be lobster night there is a viable solution. Royal and I'm pretty sure Carnival offer some premium steak and seafood selections in their MDR for an additional charge. I think if NCL offered a some premium items including prime steaks and lobster as an upcharge of say $10.00-$15.00 in their MDR the would have takers.

I have read multiple postings on the Royal Boards where folks paid the upcharge to get a premium cut of beef from the Chops specialty restaurant.

That's fine, but the latest menus do not have lobster or a "surf and turf" dish that includes lobster.

Feb. 2014, and May 2014, while not long ago, are ancient history as far as NCL's menus are concerned.

The last edition of the online magazine came out in April. The edition that advertised the steak and lobster in the MDR was in the edition that I received today. The edition in April did not advertise steak and lobster in the MDR and the one today did. That means they changed their edition to have you believe that you can now get steak and lobster in the main dining room. So they can change their menus as often as they want but NCL shouldn't make a big deal about offering something that hasn't been on the menu in six months when they should know its the one entrée that creates for controversy then any other item on the menu.

Very true.....except for the fact that the advertisement says Lobster.

Harriet

Well, I only looked at the picture in post #35 which didn't say lobster, just Surf & Turf. I did not read the article because I already know it's wrong from chats here on CC.

Edited by Out to sea!

When I read the Latitudes magazine I couldn't believe that I saw that "surf and turf" feature, which included a lobster tail.

Looks like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at NCL.

I guess the magazine isn't reviewed by anyone with actual knowledge of NCL's onboard operations before it's released.

That's a good point. I don't like lobster and could care less about it. But it is funny NCL continues to show photos of its dining past days. Remember the thread about a year ago that had photos of those GIANT shrimp NCL used to serve in Cagneys? The poster of that thread was upset because they don't serve that anymore and the shrimp are less than half the size. I would not call it false advertising as some said and I don't think it is advertising at all. Its just not reality based. Yes it may be trivial but not sure why they don't show photos of things you can eat today in their MDR.

We were on the Getaway for Springbreak and they had lobster in the main dining room. Unfortunately we missed it. Friends of ours on the cruise had plenty of lobster and said it was great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And they served lobster in 2007 too. The menus changed. What passengers were served up until the day before the menus changed is of no relevance. There hasn't been lobster served in months.

Just for my edification, are we talking about actual lobster, or is that that "langusta" from the Caribbean that some people try to slough off as "rock lobster" or whatever?

The Latitudes magazine described the entrée as steak and lobster. Here on the West Coast they sometimes offer Baja Lobster which is small but has a good flavor when its cooked properly. Don't know what "brand" of lobster they were trying to pass off in the ad did say:

"There’s no better place to have surf with your turf than aboard a ship. After all what goes better with lobster than an ocean view? Maybe a succulent strip loin cooked to order at the perfect temperature."

and one more thing the ad said:

Here are some guest favorites to try next time you’re on board:

COMPLIMENTARY DINING OPTIONS

SURF & TURF – MAIN DINING ROOM

Most of us on these boards already know that lobster was taken away long ago and though some might have been disappointed, I doubt if it was a deal breaker. I just couldn't help wondering whether there had been a recent change that would have caused them to place such an advertisement in their magazine. Guess I won't find out til next April when I'm on the Epic.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. It was an error in our Latitudes Magazine that has been corrected. We apologize for any confusion.

Sincere gratitude,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations Team

To late now! Our ship has sailed!

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. It was an error in our Latitudes Magazine that has been corrected. We apologize for any confusion.

Sincere gratitude,

Well that settles that once and for all. Thank you NCL for clearing this up.

Sincere gratitude,

It would be really nice if you brought the lobster back. The only time I get it is when I am on a cruise. It will be a little disappointing not to have it on our cruise in April unless I pay extra. I really don't want to pay extra because I know I will not be able to eat the steak and lobster. It would be better if you could get the lobster instead of the steak and not pay the extra $10.00.

Thank you for responding to this thread. It helps to have an official answer even if it is not one we like to hear.

If this was in fact an error then their PR firm should be fired immedeatly

I think in light of the fact that they did this they should bring back the surf and turf

It amazes me that such a big corporation can make such a blatant mistake

Shame on you NCL

Shame on you for making the mistake and Shame on you for taking away our surf and turf