confused....loayalty programs

jenp123

I have recently read a few threads with people complaining about not receiving recognition they deserve or being invited to mariner events. I understand wanting to get the perks or free laundry, priority boarding etc but why do people find it so important to be continuously recognized for how many days they spend on a cruise ship. It's not like the award means you are a great person, just that you can afford to vacation a lot .

I think it is great and good practice for a company to say thank you to loyal customers but part of the reason people have so many days is because they enjoy the product being offered.

I guess I just don't understand how uptight people get if not recognized to their satisfaction and how it apparently can ruin a cruise.

We cruise fairly often and I have to agree with you. We often wonder what the attraction is with things like lapel pins, medals, or lunches attended by hundreds. Who on earth would wear one of the pins or medals?

We just got off an RCI cruise...only our second. Because of our Celebrity status we kept getting invites to so called exclusive events. No thanks, the Diamond lounge was just fine and we have no particular desire to meet the officers. The next cruise after us had just under 1000 folks in the higher category. Exactly how exclusive would their reception/lunch be I wonder? We also had priority boarding. We were on board in 15 minutes.....without bothering with the priority boarding line.

They also gave us trinkets/trash in the form of two lapel pins. Who on earth would wear something like this on their suit jacket? Not us-they went straight in the bin. Not really sure why they do this.

We like the Costco or the airline approach. Reward us with cash back, a cruise/flight, a decent upgrade or other perks that have value beyond stroking our fragile egos.

Edited by iancal

Of course you have a valid point.

However, if I book a Business Class flight, I expect the perks that go with it - priority boarding, lounge access, etc.

There's not much difference here I think. Mariners are told they will be invited to a lunch (not the medallion ceremonies - that is optional). It's part of their perks. So, there is an expectation that you will be invited.

Not a biggie to you and to others perchance, but obviously to some it is important and since it is part of what they have earned (as you so rightly pointed out) with their vacation dollars, then I think their feelings should be respected. Empathy is not a bad thing;)

And we actually enjoy the medallion ceremonies and the luncheon. It's fun to see fellow roll call members get their medals. Hokey? maybe. But I know when we got ours, DH was a happy camper. Different strokes;)

Jenp123, I am one of those who could not care less about the Mariner events. You will never catch me wearing my medallion or one of the assorted lapel pins. That said, for some people it is very important. It is no air out of my tires, or cash from my bank account.... so I just figure "different strokes for different folks". Not my thing at all, but if it fills a need for others, so be it ;)

After 40+ cruises, if I can't eat it, drink it, or spend it, I don't need it. I hope that my ego never gets so big that I need to spend time with the Captain, Hotel Manager or Chief Cook & Bottle Washer that I have to tell everyone how wonderful it was.

I have recently read a few threads with people complaining about not receiving recognition they deserve or being invited to mariner events. I understand wanting to get the perks or free laundry, priority boarding etc but why do people find it so important to be continuously recognized for how many days they spend on a cruise ship. It's not like the award means you are a great person, just that you can afford to vacation a lot .

I think it is great and good practice for a company to say thank you to loyal customers but part of the reason people have so many days is because they enjoy the product being offered.

I guess I just don't understand how uptight people get if not recognized to their satisfaction and how it apparently can ruin a cruise.

I like the rewards that all my days on HAL afford me.

If HAL wants, as a part of their Mariner program, to recognize my days, that's fine and a complimentary party or two is a gracious way to do so, with whomsoever they wish to have host them.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Seems such an easy an uncomplicated solution to the question.......

IF you like the fun of the Medallion Reception, enjoy seeing your fellow cruisers reach new level and be presented their Medallion, wonderful. If you are invited, go to the party and enjoy.

If you don't care for or about it...... easy. Send polite regrets and just don't attend.

Where's the problem?

The only problem I see is if one 'side' or the other feels it necessary to criticize those who do not share their way of thinking about the Mariners Program and events. It is a simple matter of courtesy to politely leave others to enjoy what they like and for others to not force it upon you.

Edited by sail7seas

IF you like the fun of the Medallion Reception, enjoy seeing your fellow cruisers reach new level and be presented their Medallion, wonderful. If you are invited, go to the party and enjoy.

If you don't care for or about it...... easy. Send polite regrets and just don't attend.

Where's the problem?

The only problem I see is if one 'side' or the other feels it necessary to criticize those who do not share their way of thinking about the Mariners Program and events. It is a simple matter of courtesy to politely leave others to enjoy what they like and for others to not force it upon you.

Well said!

Where's the problem?

Agree - if you do not like the events, just skip them - no one will care nor notice.

I have to laugh at this thread since we've thus far completed 118 cruises with many different lines. Only 6 with HAL, but we're coming back in December. Yes it's nice to get extra perks, but after 75 Princess cruises, I'm bored. I am now on a mission to try every ship on certain lines (some lines are not included; one that starts with a C and has five letters) that we've never cruised. Last time on Westerdam was 1992, so you think 22 years is time enough to try again? :D

I have to laugh at this thread since we've thus far completed 118 cruises with many different lines. Only 6 with HAL, but we're coming back in December. Yes it's nice to get extra perks, but after 75 Princess cruises, I'm bored. I am now on a mission to try every ship on certain lines (some lines are not included; one that starts with a C and has five letters) that we've never cruised. Last time on Westerdam was 1992, so you think 22 years is time enough to try again? :D

Ha Ha! Our last cruise on HAL was in the 1990's too, on the old Westerdam. We are looking to give HAL another try in the spring. It'd be nice to see some new shows and have different menus. Loyalty is nice on the other four lines we cruise, but being the new kid is also pretty special. It's fine to go to the loyalty programs and wear pins if that's your thing. Glad they make people happy.

Funny that your last HAL cruise was the 'old' Westerdam and your next after an absence will be the newer model, Westerdam. :)

Hope you have a great cruise. Enjoy.

Of course you have a valid point.

However, if I book a Business Class flight, I expect the perks that go with it - priority boarding, lounge access, etc.

There's not much difference here I think. Mariners are told they will be invited to a lunch (not the medallion ceremonies - that is optional). It's part of their perks. So, there is an expectation that you will be invited.

Not a biggie to you and to others perchance, but obviously to some it is important and since it is part of what they have earned (as you so rightly pointed out) with their vacation dollars, then I think their feelings should be respected. Empathy is not a bad thing;)

And we actually enjoy the medallion ceremonies and the luncheon. It's fun to see fellow roll call members get their medals. Hokey? maybe. But I know when we got ours, DH was a happy camper. Different strokes;)

Thanks Kazu, couldn't have said it better, exactly right it is different strokes. Who's to say one is right or wrong, it just personal choice.

It’s a type of reward that many people enjoy. Most customer rewards programs have 5 types of rewards:

1. Economic - as in price reductions on wine for those concerned about budget,

2. Hedonistic - exchanging rewards for spa services for those who consume for pleasure,

3. Social-Relational - trinkets and special events like the Mariners’ Lunch for those who want to be identified with a privileged group,

4. Informational - special mail outs or sailing prices who like to stick with one brand,

5. Functional - priority check for cruisers who value time like this type of reward.

Cruisers that value the social-relational reward often place perceived status above all else and tend to feel very offended when this status is not acknowledged or respected. And let’s face it, lots of people value status.

So when is a perk no longer a perk? When everyone has it. That’s the challenge with customer loyalty reward programs. Either they work so well that everyone has it and there is no differentiation (which means that not everyone can be invited to a luncheon), or they do not work at attracting new customers and simply increase the total costs of serving your own customers.

<snip>

Cruisers that value the social-relational reward often place perceived status above all else and tend to feel very offended when this status is not acknowledged or respected. And let’s face it, lots of people value status.

<snip>

In the case of HAL and Mariners Society, there is little exclusivity or status seeing something like 75% or more of guests on most HAL cruises are Mariners. All who are Mariners regardless of level are to be invited to the Brunch.

I don't know if it is still true but not many years ago, HAL had the highest percentage of repeat cruisers of any major cruise line serving North Americans. Not such an 'exclusive' group especially given all one must do is buy one cruise and complete sailing it. :) (For the sake of accuracy, one can also be a Mariner without ever sailing HAL if they have sailed any of the Carnival Family of Ships. :D

Edited by sail7seas

In the case of HAL and Mariners Society, there is little exclusivity or status seeing something like 75% or more of guests on most HAL cruises are Mariners. All who are Mariners regardless of level are to be invited to the Brunch.

I don't know if it is still true but not many years ago, HAL had the highest percentage of repeat cruisers of any major cruise line serving North Americans. Not such an 'exclusive' group especially given all one must do is buy one cruise and complete sailing it. :) (For the sake of accuracy, one can also be a Mariner without ever sailing HAL if they have sailed any of the Carnival Family of Ships. :D

On our cruise two weeks ago the Zuiderdam had to hold three Mariner luncheons to handle everyone.

This was exactly my impression of the Mariners Lunches etc. It mirrors what we heard on a recent RCI Serenade cruise,

-they had to load three free drinks on room keys because the Diamond Lounges could not hold all the Diamond Club members on many sailings

-that the cruise after ours, a TA had just under 1000 Diamond Plus members.

So, if RCI has this issue, then HAL must have it in spades if HAL truly has the highest number of repeat passengers.

So when is a perk a perk? If essentially everyone gets it then it can hardly be called a perk, let alone an exclusive perk. That was my point. And if RCI gives out a lapel pin every time one cruises what is so special about that EVEN in the very remote possibility that someone would actually want to wear it. I would much rather the cruise line message may wallet instead of my ego.

Edited by iancal

This was exactly my impression of the Mariners Lunches etc. It mirrors what we heard on a recent RCI Serenade cruise,

-they had to load three free drinks on room keys because the Diamond Lounges could not hold all the Diamond Club members on many sailings

So, if RCI has this issue, then HAL must have it in spades if HAL truly has the highest number of repeat passengers.

So when is a perk a perk? If essentially everyone gets it then it can hardly be called a perk, let alone an exclusive perk. That was my point. And if RCI gives out a lapel pin every time one cruises what is so special about that EVEN in the very remote possibility that someone would actually want to wear it. I would much rather the cruise line message may wallet instead of my ego.

I do think some (all?) cruise lines have jumped the gun somewhat with the rewards.

The Mariners brunch (or the RCL lounge with free drinks) are nice ideas, but as noted these are rewards that are available at too low a level.

If each were for those pax with, say, 200 days and up (not points), there would be a lot less trouble.

Cruise Lines are should know their numbers, but they seem to missing and important point with rewards: do it, but do it well or not at all.

Not an ego thing...wouldn't ruin a cruise...BUT

the perks given make a difference as to which cruise, cruise line to book, other things being equal.

I have almost run out of itineraries on NCL but keep looking as we're treated like royalty, even in an inside cabin.

I love HAL but the loyalty program is minimal, although we have almost the same days on HAL as NCL. Not big X people but upcoming cruises will make us near elite (free booze). Not a fan of RCCL but onboard the Diamond people let you know who they are and the perks they get....and X considered RCCL days when they changed their system.

I imagine the four star mariners really like the laundry perk. I'd be upset if I didn't get it.....tile not so much.

If HAL wants, as a part of their Mariner program, to recognize my days, that's fine and a complimentary party or two is a gracious way to do so, with whomsoever they wish to have host them.

I agree as well, And some times we skip the lunch's .

Have never gotten a pin from RCCL.....or HAL for that matter, even though we are three star. Agree that the bottom line to the wallet is key here, along with itinerary. We look at that when choosing a given booking, considering perks as a part of the equation.

Not an ego thing...wouldn't ruin a cruise...BUT

the perks given make a difference as to which cruise, cruise line to book, other things being equal.

I imagine the four star mariners really like the laundry perk. I'd be upset if I didn't get it.....tile not so much.

Agree.

And, yes, the laundry reward is a big, tangible benefit, as is the 50% off Pinnacle, Explorations Cafe.

Seems a bit off that it takes 200 days to make 4 star but a full 500 days to make five stars....and for the extra 300 days to make 5 star you basically get an internet discount and a free pinnacle for two....hardly much of a "perk incentive" to go from 4 to 5.....

I suspect the most popular perk of 4 star is the free laundry....

Some of us sail HAL because we love the cruise line.

Before they ever had the Star Mariner Program, we were more than 500 days. We got no promised, expected benefits and didn't sail to get a pin though DH did like to wear his Platinum pin on his lapel.

We all have our own viewpoint and expectation and all of us are right, as pertains to ourselves.