Royal Perspective

RLK33853

Funny - I think the main reason for the lack of an exterior Promenade is poor design.

No, it's actually because of the way they must now place the lifeboats, by law. I loved the small spaces on what was once the Promenade deck. Peaceful. I didn't really miss the promenade.

No, it's actually because of the way they must now place the lifeboats, by law. I loved the small spaces on what was once the Promenade deck. Peaceful. I didn't really miss the promenade.

I for one, did miss the "Real" promenade deck. The "promenade porches" were a very poor replacement.....:(:(:(

Bob

I for one, did miss the "Real" promenade deck. The "promenade porches" were a very poor replacement.....:(:(:(

Bob

I think, for the most part, the wide, open, full wrap-around promenades are a thing of the past. Most all new platforms, including the Koningsdam of Holland-America, which is sort of a modified Vista-class, will no longer have this feature. Which is indeed a shame for those who require it as part of the criteria for an enjoyable cruise.

But those ships that do have your 'real', exterior, full wrap-around promenade decks - Island Princess among those that will lose hers - will still be around for another 10+ years. And I know you for one are quite happy about that, since most all future new builds will not be on your list of ships to sail on.

:D

I found them both sufficient in the Caribbean. I was able to swim in them on the busy sea days and had no problem finding loungers.:)

Thats true but at the retreat pool it's has been extremely windy & very little shade and at the main pool there is shade along with MUTS and the pool games to listen to most of the time. Each location has it's disadvantages.

Funny - I think the main reason for the lack of an exterior Promenade is poor design.

...and you would be wrong. They needed to move the lifeboats down to make it much safer and easier to use in case of an emergency and to make the better use of the cabins on Emerald deck and their view. There is plenty of walking space on both the Royal and Regal Promenade Decks and good entrances to the shops and other venues. The walking/jogging track on deck 18 is a real plus for those that don't want to use a treadmill.

Thats true but at the retreat pool it's has been extremely windy & very little shade and at the main pool there is shade along with MUTS and the pool games to listen to most of the time. Each location has it's disadvantages.

I am sorry to hear your experience on the Royal, or was it the Regal, was so poor. I didn't realize you had been on one of them yet. I guess you weren't 1 happy cruiser. :(

...and you would be wrong.

And they know they're wrong - having read Royal Princess debate threads for the last seventeen months - yet they still post such charges. The positioning of the lifeboats in this new class of ship, and all new builds based on a new platform, has been the topic of conversation on this forum for well over a year, and anyone paying attention knows such a comment is rediculous at best.

And they know they're wrong - having read Royal Princess debate threads for the last seventeen months - yet they still post such charges. The positioning of the lifeboats in this new class of ship, and all new builds based on a new platform, has been the topic of conversation on this forum for well over a year, and anyone paying attention knows such a comment is rediculous at best.

....and yet.....Princess was able to implement somewhat of a "fix" with Regal. Not a true, full, wrap-around Promenade to be sure. But not a couple of "porches" like on Royal. So the notion that new builds and new safety concerns require that new ships be built along the lines of Royal are equally "rediculous".

:rolleyes: Sorry - I have been paying attention and my contention is not rediculous (sic). Just because this topic has been discussed on Royal Princess threads doesn't mean that the mention holds any merit. In fact it could be a very good example of following the popular opinion without any proof...which happens now and then on Cruise Critic.

First of all, my best friend Google can find nothing where law mandates the life boats must be placed on the promenade deck. Has anyone ever taken a look at ocean liners? Not only did they have promenade decks, they also had boat decks which were there to be used as an embarkation point should the life boats be needed. There is no reason the brilliant maritime architects that work for Princess at Fincantieri couldn't have come up with a way to incorporate both. The contention that this was all they could do points to a lack of creativity. Of course the fact that Princess was hoping to make money through the Emerald deck balconies - along with all the other 'new' features in this class of ship - made a good deal of difference in the final design. So the whole change is really more a matter of maximizing revenue rather than responding to safety issues, right?

Second, if you feel that this is not correct, then I would really love someone to point us to the legislation that mandates this new design with lifeboats superseding the promenade deck. I've searched the IMO site, looked at the SOLAS regulations (which by the way, in response to Costa Concordia's incident mention NOTHING about life boat placement) and can still find nothing. I don't doubt that the laws may have changed - and if my contention is wrong I would love someone to help me understand that by pointing me to the legislation. And I would really like to see the comparison of costs and revenues of the old design vs. the new.

Until some proof can be identified, my contentions are no more ridiculous than anyone else's...including those blinded by the love of this new class of ship.

....and yet.....Princess was able to implement somewhat of a "fix" with Regal. Not a true, full, wrap-around Promenade to be sure. But not a couple of "porches" like on Royal. So the notion that new builds and new safety concerns require that new ships be built along the lines of Royal are equally "rediculous".

Thank you...

Edited by bdjam

I was also on the same 10/25 Royal Repositioning.

The Bellini Bar has a special menu of bellinis and champagne, plus wine. But I asked and they serve any bar drink there. They are not restricted to what was on the menu. For those who bypass the bar just because they didn't like the special drinks on the menu, they missed out as the crew there during the cruise (that is, Moises, Rebecca, and Roman) were exceptional.

You are both correct, and not correct. The changes in regs do not mandate life boats being on a promenade deck per se. But the requirements in access and muster stations, exits, etc, make the Promenade type deck the by far most practical place to put them. Also, not all the changes are directly related to SOLAS, etc, after the Concordia incident, insurance required changes as well. And it would be overly optimistic to say that cost/revenue items were not a factor, as I am sure they were.

They certainly could have constructed another deck with a wraparound promenade, but there are significant structural and aerodynamic downsides to do so. To use the item above, doing so would also mean less balcony cabins (and their higher price points)

It's actually worth nothing that from what I could tell, there IS possibly a wrap around walkway, but the areas to the fore and aft are crew only, for reasons I am not aware. This may be how they were able to adapt the Regal to some extent (honestly I haven't followed it enough).

And for the record, I actually didn't mind the lack on the Royal at all, in fact I liked being able to relax there without joggers thundering past me. I just wish they hadn't pulled all the furniture in at night...

:rolleyes: Sorry - I have been paying attention and my contention is not rediculous (sic). Just because this topic has been discussed on Royal Princess threads doesn't mean that the mention holds any merit. In fact it could be a very good example of following the popular opinion without any proof...which happens now and then on Cruise Critic.

First of all, my best friend Google can find nothing where law mandates the life boats must be placed on the promenade deck. Has anyone ever taken a look at ocean liners? Not only did they have promenade decks, they also had boat decks which were there to be used as an embarkation point should the life boats be needed. There is no reason the brilliant maritime architects that work for Princess at Fincantieri couldn't have come up with a way to incorporate both. The contention that this was all they could do points to a lack of creativity. Of course the fact that Princess was hoping to make money through the Emerald deck balconies - along with all the other 'new' features in this class of ship - made a good deal of difference in the final design. So the whole change is really more a matter of maximizing revenue rather than responding to safety issues, right?

Second, if you feel that this is not correct, then I would really love someone to point us to the legislation that mandates this new design with lifeboats superseding the promenade deck. I've searched the IMO site, looked at the SOLAS regulations (which by the way, in response to Costa Concordia's incident mention NOTHING about life boat placement) and can still find nothing. I don't doubt that the laws may have changed - and if my contention is wrong I would love someone to help me understand that by pointing me to the legislation. And I would really like to see the comparison of costs and revenues of the old design vs. the new.

Until some proof can be identified, my contentions are no more ridiculous than anyone else's...including those blinded by the love of this new class of ship.

Thank you...

Just a suggestion - but this thread was started as a review of the Royal.

As I indicated at the start, anyone can have their say, but maybe anyone who wants to discuss the legalities of whether the lifeboats are in the proper place can start a separate thread.

thanks very much everyone.

Ray

Bellini's

I will answer all three Bellini questions in one response.

1. Totally agree with Cubfan63 that the venue is very nice and we did pick up a bottle of champagne there on day one and found that the staff were excellent - in fact we had to wait as Roman and Rebecca wanted us to have some commemorative champagne flutes since the champagne was a higher end bottle and they had to go get the special flutes. Very personable and friendly.

As to the ability to get drinks that are not on the menu - we never asked so didn't know. We did like the look of the bar - and although we made every attempt to experience at least one drink at every bar on the ship, one night when we were going to stop we looked at the menu and moved on to Crooners as the women wanted martinis.

2. Paddington - as per Cubfan's response - the menu includes Bellini's, champagne, and some wine.

3. Scotslizzy - beverage package applies anywhere as long as the drink is less than 10 dollars - which pretty much applies to everything.

I hope this answers the questions - if not just ask.

thanks

Ray

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I was also on the same 10/25 Royal Repositioning.

The Bellini Bar has a special menu of bellinis and champagne, plus wine. But I asked and they serve any bar drink there. They are not restricted to what was on the menu. For those who bypass the bar just because they didn't like the special drinks on the menu, they missed out as the crew there during the cruise (that is, Moises, Rebecca, and Roman) were exceptional.

The changes in regs do not mandate life boats being on a promenade deck per se. But the requirements in access and muster stations, exits, etc, make the Promenade type deck the by far most practical place to put them. Also, not all the changes are directly related to SOLAS, etc, after the Concordia incident, insurance required changes as well. And it would be overly optimistic to say that cost/revenue items were not a factor, as I am sure they were.

One more question, Ray, and then you can have your thread back...

Where are the regulations documented?

are the drinks at this bar covered by the drinks package

Thanks

Scotslizzy

For some reason I only took a picture of one side of the bellini menu, but all but 1 drink on that page are priced at $8.95, so they would be eligible for the drinks package. It was a nice bar and the various bellinins were delicious. We were served by Roman and he was fantastic. We went there the night after the champagne waterall, where Roman had continuosly roamed around filling up our empty champagne glasses (I realize what they give out at that event is very cheap, but we aren't ones to say no to a free drink ;)

Dana

Thank you...

Whatever the facts, many people who have been on the older Princess ships don't like the Royal or Regal. As to the costs and revenues of the old design vs. the new, many of the Regal and Royal sailings are priced hundreds less than the older ships, sailing similar itineraries and on similar dates. Also on-board credit offers are generally higher on the Royal and Regal.

And Now Back to the Regular Scheduled Programming

Part 8 – Entertainment

Princess has done a good job on the Princess Theatre – it is well set up and comfortable – although there are a couple of things that seem strange. The first is that access to the seats is only from the middle and not from the outside/end of the row which makes everyone move when someone wants to get into the row. The second is that at the rear, there are some seats back behind where people usually stand. Thus they get blocked and we heard a couple of arguments from people that were seated and then others stood in front. The third – no folding tray tables for your drink (now that I read my own review it looks like a lot of things we reviewed pertain to drinking..........must be our wives I guess).

Other than those minor things – the venue is very fresh and has the latest in technology. Sets are done with directed lighting, sound is great, and the singers were some of the best we have experienced on Princess. The dancers were pretty standard but the shows had a little more pop with the better technology.

Vista Lounge – Pretty standard although we felt the seating was more comfortable and there are fewer obstructions when seeing a show.

Princess Live – only walked by – really can’t provide much of a review on this venue.

Comedians/Illusionist - Steve White was hilarious, David Cats was very good, and Al Katz’s act is ancient and tired.

As already reviewed – the show with the singers and dancers on the Fountain is pretty neat.

Deck Pool Party – Well attended but the whole line dancing thing shouldn’t be the entire party……..

Halloween Party – since this was over Halloween there was a costume party in the Piazza – very well attended and lots of fun. Some fabulous costumes throughout the ship all evening.

Overall – the Royal has better entertainment than the older ships (although still the best Production Show is Down on the Bayou on the Island Princess).

Part 9 – Future Cruise Sales, Captain Circle Host, etc – the representatives were as advertised – professional and knowledgeable.

Captains Circle Party – these continue to get shorter and shorter but we still enjoy them. This one was set for Halloween which was strange though.

Part 10 – Final Impressions

We had a great time, the weather was fantastic, and the ports of St Thomas and Aruba are some of the best in the Caribbean.

Basically the Royal Princess and this itinerary were great in so many ways. That said, to us the lack of the balcony or shall I say the lack of a usable balcony overshadowed many of the things we appreciated about the Royal. If you don’t care about your balcony or if the itinerary is very port intensive, then I would think the Royal is definitely a ship you may want to experience. If the itinerary is that of a relaxing Caribbean cruise – for us it isn’t a good fit. So the final word – for us booking the Royal would definitely be itinerary driven.

Last word about the Royal and Princess – absolutely love the tribute to the original Love Boat – they played the theme song on the ship’s horn as we departed every port. As they say – it’s the little things that count !!!!!