Post cruise CRISIS. Help or Advice please

Sherry88

Hi,

I would appreciate a regular cruisers help or advice. I sailed on indy on the 13th of October had a fab time we were a party of 8 and it was everyone's first cruise. My card was charged and full expenses taken from my account on 28th October 3 days after our return and that was fine. RCI have reserved the same amount on my account, the amount hasn't actually been taken from me but they are holding it from my bank account so I cant access my own money. Out of our party of 8 it didn't happen at all to two people but the same happened to my dad but he got all his money back a week later. Its been 3 weeks a day since our return and they still have mine held. I am a single mother and its a month before Christmas and trying to explain the inconvenience to utterly disgraceful customer service staff at RCI, it just seems to go over their heads.

Is this a regular thing to happen with cruises or is it just done on certain people. I'm so unsure but i do know that i have given them all the necessary information and codes to release the hold on my money with the bank and they haven't done anything to help me!

Would appreciate some advice

thanks

I have been on to my bank several times, they cant do anything until the company putting the reserve on my money releases it. Basically the balls in RCI's court. The transactions themselves expire and I will get my money back but it comes back in drips and drabs over time and I just cant wait that amount of time for it to happen. Thanks anyway :)

I too suspect the problem is using a debit card. Hindsight is 20:20, but this is but the latest example of why debit cards area terrible, terrible way of managing money. Best suggestion going forward: Cut up your debit card and never use it again!

One technique that can be used with the onboard account is to opt for a "cash" account. Then use the debit card at the end of the cruise to pay off the account. This way, no holds are put on the account.

One technique that can be used with the onboard account is to opt for a "cash" account. Then use the debit card at the end of the cruise to pay off the account. This way, no holds are put on the account.

That's a slightly better solution. But I think the whole idea of debit cards is just asking for a problem. With the constant news about security breaches at various companies, I have no interest in offering up unfettered access to my checking account. This is the whole wisdom behind a charge card.... Then they don't actually have access to your money.

If one were to use a debit card to settle, why not just use a check instead?

That's a slightly better solution. But I think the whole idea of debit cards is just asking for a problem. With the constant news about security breaches at various companies, I have no interest in offering up unfettered access to my checking account. This is the whole wisdom behind a charge card.... Then they don't actually have access to your money.

I know the cruise line will take traveler's checks, but I don't believe they take personal checks for settlement of the account. They will allow people to cash one personal check up to $200 per cruise, but I believe they have to have a valid credit card on file to do that.

Edited by clarea

I know the cruise line will take traveler's checks, but I don't believe they take personal checks for settlement of the account. They will allow people to cash one personal check up to $200 per cruise, but I believe they have to have a valid credit card on file to do that.

Better yet, use cash! Seriously though, ANYTHING is better than a debit card.

LOL, a check?? Is this 1980?

Edited by jp30338

I too suspect the problem is using a debit card. Hindsight is 20:20, but this is but the latest example of why debit cards area terrible, terrible way of managing money. Best suggestion going forward: Cut up your debit card and never use it again!

I am with you on that I NEVER, use my credit card unless I need to take money out at a ATM. I use my CC for everything. Ive heard others having problems using their debit cards.

I remember about 10 years ago I paid a hotel room with a debit card once and they held $300 on my credit card for over a week.

Sherry88 try using this e-mail address: Agoldstein@rccl.com

When all else fails it is sometimes best to go right to the top. I have only had to use it one time and someone got back to me and solved the problem immediately. Good luck to you.

To some others who responded to the OP's question, she was asking for help, not a scolding on how she paid. Some people use debit cards, some use cash, and some use credit cards. Not everyone wants credit cards and some people do not feel comfortable carrying that amount of cash around. There is no perfect way to pay, but all she asked for was where to turn next.

I am with you on that I NEVER, use my credit card unless I need to take money out at a ATM. I use my CC for everything. Ive heard others having problems using their debit cards.

I remember about 10 years ago I paid a hotel room with a debit card once and they held $300 on my credit card for over a week.

Credit card to get cash? I strongly advise against it. With purchases, you have time till your statement arrives to pay off the balance without interest. If you use Credit Card to get cash, the bank starts charging interest right away. It will get too expensive.

Only ATM cards or Debit cards should be used to get cash.

Credit card to get cash? I strongly advise against it. With purchases, you have time till your statement arrives to pay off the balance without interest. If you use Credit Card to get cash, the bank starts charging interest right away. It will get too expensive.

Only ATM cards or Debit cards should be used to get cash.

Obviously, if you read the entire post, he meant debit card not credit card...

To some others who responded to the OP's question, she was asking for help, not a scolding on how she paid. Some people use debit cards, some use cash, and some use credit cards. Not everyone wants credit cards and some people do not feel comfortable carrying that amount of cash around. There is no perfect way to pay, but all she asked for was where to turn next.

Lighten up. There is nothing wrong with sharing our own observations. Yes, it's too late for this instance with the OP (although I also think her categorization of this as a "crisis" is a bit absurd), but others reading this might gain some insight. Say what you want about there being no "perfect" method. Regardless, I feel very strongly that debit cards a BAD NEWS. As such, I won't hesitate to use every opportunity to warn people about the numerous pitfalls associated with them. Unfortunately, most people have been shown to be quite oblivious to these problems.

The fraud problems with debit cards are pretty much confined to the US. We use our Visa for our onboard account but most Canadians and Europeans use their debit card for everything. The "Chip & Pin" technology is very secure and we are confident using both our Visa and Debit card while traveling. Except in the US when I get the willies every time I have to swipe my card lol

LOL, a check?? Is this 1980?

I still see people writing checks at the grocery store. (and they are always in front of me.)

I still write a few for various things that I can't pay online.

Only use my debit card to withdraw cash, though.

Edited by marci22

Hi,

Is this a regular thing to happen with cruises or is it just done on certain people. I'm so unsure but i do know that i have given them all the necessary information and codes to release the hold on my money with the bank and they haven't done anything to help me!

Would appreciate some advice

thanks

Blame the BANK.. not Royal. the bank is the one that releases the funds after Royal has closed out your account at the end of the cruise