Smoking on Verandas of suites

etual324

I think the *really* liberal smoking on verandas was what I encountered on Princess last month... marijuana smoking, cigar smoking, and cigarette smoking. We couldn't even use our veranda because it was so intense. (And Princess has a no smoking policy!)

I'm glad we have another thread to discuss this... other threads on the topic were not enough. ;-)

Edited by jenidallas
Oops... no sticky smoking thread....

Very surprised to see a LIBERAL smoking policy on Seabourn do not know of any other cruise line that allows smoking on guest verandas seems

like a safety ISSUE ?????????

It is on other cruise lines

Have you been on a Seabourn ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a topic which has been discussed at GREAT length on NUMEROUS occasions. A quick search on this (SB) forum for 'smoking + verandah' yields a veritable excess of threads!

In actual fact, it's not a problem for most (non-smoking) passengers as the majority of smokers are fairly courteous and keep to designated areas. I am aware that it can be a problem if you have a veranda which is 'downwind' of a heavy smoker who uses their veranda for smoking. However, a few passengers have been greatly inconvenienced.

If you look at those threads you will see that, on this forum at least, there is a substantial majority of posters who wish that SB would change their policy re smoking, to one which is more restrictive, and specifically one which forbids smoking on verandas (and in the Observation Bar, which is a whole other matter)

So, this has been 'done to death' on here, and if you wish to see what the general opinion is I suggest you look at some of the previous threads.

For what it's worth...

I am on Odyssey now and there are very very few smokers ANYWHERE including the starboard side of 9 deck near the Sky Bar and the starboard side rear of Seabourn Square. So we have yet to deliberately hold our breath when passing these areas. It's easy to do anyway. And fortunately no smokers on verandas near ours.

Happy sailing!

How about the observation lounge Markham, my last 3 cruises on SB have been dreadful up there.

How is it now?

That was probably the biggest complaint l had heard all over the ship on most cruises.

For me it really is unbearable up there now.

I think suites and balcony's are pot luck. You just never know who your neighbors are going to be. It can make the whole experience a bit of a downer.

In fact on my Odyssey cruise in January It was not my neighbors as they did not smoke, but 2 single women 3 cabins forward from mine.

I was a little embarrassed actually because when l complained hotel staff put a note under the doors of my neighbors directly beside me.

Needless to say they took offense :confused:

So at the end of the day I think on SB you just have to take it or leave it.

Now l just grin and bear it......

All I can say is that I have not smelled any smoking residue in the Observation Bar. I only go there in the morning for tea and then at 18:00 for drinks. Not after dinner when I believe smoking is permitted at a few tables on the port side.

I understand your last Seabourn cruise was in January. That would have been before the current limitations on smoking in cabins and for most of time in the Observation Bar were imposed. Let's hope that a ban all day on verandas and the Observation Bar follow.

Happy sailing!

It's time for Seabourn to enforce no smoking anywhere indoors at any time (including evenings in the Observation Lounge) as well as outside where drifting smoke can disturb others (verandas, Sky Bar) I'd prefer no smoking at all but if it need be, it should be aft on deck 8.

I also often smell smoke in the corridor on deck 5 which I believe comes from crew smoking behind closed doors. Smoke is released into the corridor when they open the door.

Most first class hotels now prohibit smoking everywhere. Seabourn should follow suit.

It's time for Seabourn to enforce no smoking anywhere indoors at any time (including evenings in the Observation Lounge) as well as outside where drifting smoke can disturb others (verandas, Sky Bar) I'd prefer no smoking at all but if it need be, it should be aft on deck 8.

I also often smell smoke in the corridor on deck 5 which I believe comes from crew smoking behind closed doors. Smoke is released into the corridor when they open the door.

Most first class hotels now prohibit smoking everywhere. Seabourn should follow suit.

That would be in the Colonnade :confused::confused:

Easy enough in a hotel - there's always the street or outside cafes etc. Kinda difficult mid-Atlantic.

Any number of other cruise lines have done it. So why can't Seabourn?

It is a couple of passengers who "live" on the ships and the fear of p----

off some Europeans.

Once they wake up, passengers who are on other lines will come back.

Any number of other cruise lines have done it. So why can't Seabourn?

It is a couple of passengers who "live" on the ships and the fear of p----

off some Europeans.

Once they wake up, passengers who are on other lines will come back.

I'm not sure I want them to come back :rolleyes:

We've been on two lengthy cruises recently, and smoking was not a problem on either.

As mentioned by others, there was very little evidence of any smoking at all. And, I believe most smokers are very self-conscious and considerate. We had no experience of smoke from neighboring balconies.

One would hope that increased awareness of the concern would prompt the diminishing number of smokers to be especially careful to avoid bothering others.

We are currently on the Odyssey. Being our first SEABOURN cruise, I have no idea what is the norm. That being said, I will say that I am very sensitive to smoke, and I was not able to sit on my veranda yesterday because of neighboring veranda smoking. Ugh! We found a spot above the pool that also had smokers around the pool that wafted up to us. Hoping for fresh air today!

Shelley

We are currently on the Odyssey. Being our first SEABOURN cruise, I have no idea what is the norm. That being said, I will say that I am very sensitive to smoke, and I was not able to sit on my veranda yesterday because of neighboring veranda smoking. Ugh! We found a spot above the pool that also had smokers around the pool that wafted up to us. Hoping for fresh air today!

Shelley

Please write to Seabourn asking them to make the ships smoke free, like 5 star hotels.

But that would quickly stop the problem...:cool:

Easy enough in a hotel - there's always the street or outside cafes etc. Kinda difficult mid-Atlantic.

Smokers can avoid multi-day crossings. All other itineraries have port stops. They can go ashore and smoke to their heart's content (though I'm certain their hearts wouldn't like it!)

Edited by Malama Makena

Shelley

We had problems using the veranda on our first Seabourn cruise,for the same reason, so you have my sympathy. It hasn't been a problem on subsequent cruises, thankfully.

As for the smoke bothering you at the pool, as far as I remember, smoking isn't permitted round the pool, but it is permitted on deck 9, above the pool deck, starboard side at the Sky Bar. Of course, even if you find a place on the port side, the smoke can still drift across depending on the wind.

Shelley

Do not understand this - smoking is not allowed on the pool deck at all.

For what it's worth...

I am on Odyssey now and there are very very few smokers ANYWHERE including the starboard side of 9 deck near the Sky Bar and the starboard side rear of Seabourn Square. So we have yet to deliberately hold our breath when passing these areas. It's easy to do anyway. And fortunately no smokers on verandas near ours.

Happy sailing!

Markham: I hope you can continue to navigate around the smokers. I know this is a big issue for you (as for me). Have a great cruise!

Tv24,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I am now home and very, very satisfied with our recent Odyssey cruise. The Hotel Manager Daniel, Food and Beverage Manager Kevin and Maitre d' Michaela- in fact all the officers and staff- were first rate. A very happy ship. And then there was Kurt, the head chef: amazing execution with quality ingredients and attention to detail!

The only comments of a critical nature I made in the post cruise electronic survey were meant to chide Seabourn to ban smoking on verandas and the Observation Bar.

Although I admit that smoking was not a factor for me this cruise in either location, I am convinced it would make a positive change for the vast majority of Seabourn's current passengers and future passengers.

I did see a couple who are smokers puff away on deck outside the Observation Bar port side during one of our days at Yangon port and then flick their cigarettes over board. Of course no number/amount of regulations, reminders about safety or commonsense courtesy towards others will make a difference to certain individuals. So it's best, I guess, under the circumstances, to take a cool approach to such stupidity and try to ignore it...

We will be back on Seabourn in a couple of months on the Sojourn. Who knows? Maybe Seabourn will further restrict smoking in 2015.

Happy sailing!