Smoking on Verandas of suites

etual324

We will be back on Seabourn in a couple of months on the Sojourn. Who knows? Maybe Seabourn will further restrict smoking in 2015.

Happy sailing!

Probably not until Mrs W goes down to Davy Jones'locker.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Markham - you were indeed lucky to have such a top team in the hospitality department! I notice on the Sojourn thread that while some people appear to like Vitor, others have the opposite opinion. Never having come across him, I am wondering why. We have met a couple of Hotel Managers we have not cared for - simply because they did not seem to be very proactive, concerned or helpful when there were genuine problems.

Lincslady,

As you know there are many subjects on CC on which we posters agree to disagree. I can only tell you, from what would appear here to be the minority opinion, that I have known him for ten years and was disappointed when he went shoreside for awhile to handle training when the big sisters were coming out. When he asked you how your cruise was going he was genuinely interested. He was a stickler for ensuring service on board was flawless.Now there is one Hotel Manager whom I have found to be distant,unhelpful and charmless --- however I shall not ever post the name here.

Markham: I am so happy that you had an enjoyable cruise and that you found a way to work around the smoking. Of course I share your comments on Seabourn's smoking policy and hope that they become more up-to-date. I will reserve my comments on Mr. Victor since I am not comfortable sharing them in this forum. BTW we have a couple of long cruises coming up on Crystal, so I will pay attention to how smoking is handled there, as well as food, since I am quite critical in that area. I am a bit anxious about Crystal's somewhat awkward system of dining reservations and hope for the best.

Tv24,

I hope you enjoy Crystal. I have never been.

About Hotel Managers, what I find appealing is a range of skills that balance passenger demands (and results) with learning opportunities for the crew

who deliver the service such that everyone benefits. High handed and hard nosed managers are missing the message, in my opinion. That's what I most like about Seabourn's Daniel and Marcel, in particular, whom I find effective, personable and well liked among the crew.

So much for my preferences. Have a terrific cruise and hope to see you sometime on Seabourn, too!

• 2 weeks later...
Markham: I am so happy that you had an enjoyable cruise and that you found a way to work around the smoking. Of course I share your comments on Seabourn's smoking policy and hope that they become more up-to-date. I will reserve my comments on Mr. Victor since I am not comfortable sharing them in this forum. BTW we have a couple of long cruises coming up on Crystal, so I will pay attention to how smoking is handled there, as well as food, since I am quite critical in that area. I am a bit anxious about Crystal's somewhat awkward system of dining reservations and hope for the best.

On Crystal smoking is only permitted on one side of the outdoor pool, and in selected location outside the ship. I is not permitted on Verandahs or anywhere in the ship with the exception of the Connoisseur Lounge where both cigar and cigarette smoking is permitted.

I am amazed in this day in age that smoking would be permitted on Verandahs on any cruise ship on any cruise line. It not only is bothersome to those who do not care for smoking but to me I have always thought it was a safety hazard. It can ruin a cruise for someone who doesn't like smoke whose room is next to someone who smokes often on their verandah.

Keith

On Crystal smoking is only permitted on one side of the outdoor pool, and in selected location outside the ship. I is not permitted on Verandahs or anywhere in the ship with the exception of the Connoisseur Lounge where both cigar and cigarette smoking is permitted.

I am amazed in this day in age that smoking would be permitted on Verandahs on any cruise ship on any cruise line. It not only is bothersome to those who do not care for smoking but to me I have always thought it was a safety hazard. It can ruin a cruise for someone who doesn't like smoke whose room is next to someone who smokes often on their verandah.

Keith

Thanks for your reply, Keith. I cannot honestly say that our cruise was ruined, but we were able to use our verandah only at rare times due to clouds of smoke coming from our neighbor's verandah. She was a chain-smoker. And the consistent smoke in the observation lounge bar caused many passengers, including a group for my birthday party, to leave for more smoke-free areas. Unfortunately on such a small ship, there was only one other inside bar, and the music there was often quite loud. So it's dangerous, unhealthy for all including non-smokers, and unpleasant. Also sets up a strange dynamic in which a small number of possibly valued passengers dictate policy that affects everyone. Strange form of exclusivity.

Smokers can avoid multi-day crossings. All other itineraries have port stops. They can go ashore and smoke to their heart's content (though I'm certain their hearts wouldn't like it!)

Malama,

What you are suggesting is in the current state of affair too extrem.

There are still too many people smoking and you have to remember that in some countries smoking is still more common than maybe where you are from.

Making it it completely smoking free will mean that no smokers (and their friends/family) will not be cruising.

I assume that is OK for you, but I think this is still too early for Seabourn to do this. And as long as they put "e-cig" on the same set of rules as smoking there are no alternatives for us ex-smokers

Thanks for your reply, Keith. I cannot honestly say that our cruise was ruined, but we were able to use our verandah only at rare times due to clouds of smoke coming from our neighbor's verandah. She was a chain-smoker. And the consistent smoke in the observation lounge bar caused many passengers, including a group for my birthday party, to leave for more smoke-free areas. Unfortunately on such a small ship, there was only one other inside bar, and the music there was often quite loud. So it's dangerous, unhealthy for all including non-smokers, and unpleasant. Also sets up a strange dynamic in which a small number of possibly valued passengers dictate policy that affects everyone. Strange form of exclusivity.

Precisely why you almost have to be certifiable to spend the money to book on Seabourn until they join the 21st century.

Malama,

What you are suggesting is in the current state of affair too extrem.

There are still too many people smoking and you have to remember that in some countries smoking is still more common than maybe where you are from.

Making it it completely smoking free will mean that no smokers (and their friends/family) will not be cruising.

I assume that is OK for you, but I think this is still too early for Seabourn to do this. And as long as they put "e-cig" on the same set of rules as smoking there are no alternatives for us ex-smokers

I agree that they don't need to make it smoke free but that doesn't mean that smoking should be allowed on verandahs.

I am of the belief that reducing smoking will provide more upside for cruise lines than down side. In other words, they will attract more guests. That has at least been my experience.

I remember being in Dublin on the Seabourn Pride several years ago when they eliminated smoking in the Pubs. While I am sure some were displeased (well maybe not some but a lot) we were just there again a few months ago on another cruise line and the pubs looked very crowded to me.

I am reminded of the first that occurred on a Princess Ship from smoking on a Verandah some years back. Given that fires at sea are a big deal I am truly amazed that smoking is allowed on verandahs on any cruise ship. And if you do not like smoking or if you are allergic to it as many people are then if someone is smoking 7x24 on their verandah it is a big too do.

Just my two cents.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

On the contrary, besides the fantastic service and cruise experience of Seabourn which is crystal clear from adverts and opinions on cruise critic, smoking on verandahs is one of the reasons we booked Seabourn.

Certainly it is a factor on why some people book with Seabourn which is why I said there is some upside but I believe that there is more downside. Just my opinion.

Keith

Certainly it is a factor on why some people book with Seabourn which is why I said there is some upside but I believe that there is more downside. Just my opinion.

Keith

I get you. Unfortunately if non smokers would not have caused such a fuss about outdoor smoking, it never would have come to this.

I agree that they don't need to make it smoke free but that doesn't mean that smoking should be allowed on verandahs.

Here I do have mixed feeling. On small ship, no problem. Doesn't take long to get to a smoking area. On a mega ship I would prefer to smoke on the veranda. The elevator waiting times can be horrendous. (using the stairs with a wheelchair is difficul)

I am reminded of the first that occurred on a Princess Ship from smoking on a Verandah some years back. Given that fires at sea are a big deal I am truly amazed that smoking is allowed on verandahs on any cruise ship. And if you do not like smoking or if you are allergic to it as many people are then if someone is smoking 7x24 on their verandah it is a big too do.

I've also read about this accident, but seem to remember that it was never proved to be a cigarette being the cause. Maybe I remember wrong. (I have seen lots of reference to that a cigarette was the cause, but don't think that was what the report said. But someone more knowledgeable will probably chime in)

Currently I only vape and I do have a real problem with anyone putting vaping on the same level as smoking.

Here I do have mixed feeling. On small ship, no problem. Doesn't take long to get to a smoking area. On a mega ship I would prefer to smoke on the veranda. The elevator waiting times can be horrendous. (using the stairs with a wheelchair is difficul)

I've also read about this accident, but seem to remember that it was never proved to be a cigarette being the cause. Maybe I remember wrong. (I have seen lots of reference to that a cigarette was the cause, but don't think that was what the report said. But someone more knowledgeable will probably chime in)

Currently I only vape and I do have a real problem with anyone putting vaping on the same level as smoking.

We are talking Seabourn. -----Small Ships. :D

Keith

Just did a little research. Cause of fire was due to a cigarette being flicked off a balcony on a higher level deck. One passenger killed and several hundred cabins destroyed.

Keith

Maybe Seabourn needs to be reminded of this.

We will be taking our second Seabourn cruise in January, and I really hope that smoke is not an issue for this cruise because we will be onboard for three weeks. Fortunately, our first cruise was smoke free on the verandah; but if there is the smell of smoke out on our verandah for this coming up cruise, it will be our last with Seabourn until they change their smoking policy.

Maybe Seabourn needs to be reminded of this.

We will be taking our second Seabourn cruise in January, and I really hope that smoke is not an issue for this cruise because we will be onboard for three weeks. Fortunately, our first cruise was smoke free on the verandah; but if there is the smell of smoke out on our verandah for this coming up cruise, it will be our last with Seabourn until they change their smoking policy.

I sincerely hope you do not lose the veranda/smoking lottery on an expensive cruise.

As I mention in an earlier thread, I was on the Odyssey cruise before yours and saw 2 smokers flick their cigarettes from the balcony outside the Observation Bar. Which goes to the point that there can be idiots up to stupid tricks on any ship.

However, and to improve matters for the vast majority of sentient Seabourn cruisers, a ban on smoking on vernadas makes sense, doesn't it. That's what I included on my post cruise evaluation.

So... If more us so informed John Delaney, SVP Marketing in Seattle, he would be the wiser for it. That's the least we can do for our collective health and wellbeing. I will have a chance to do so in person this Tuesday.

Happy sailing!

While some people will sail and not have a problem with smoking on the adjacent verandahs in the end it all comes down to luck. And that is the problem. Sure, you might not have anyone next to you smoking outside but if you don't care for smoking or are allergic to it then if you are the unlucky one and are next to someone who smokes that is a problem and if it turns out to be someone who smokes 7x24 then it might be a disaster. We always worried about this when sailing on lines where smoking was permitted on verandahs and we worried even more when smoking was permitted inside rooms as if you had a chain smoker on many lines the smoke would come through into your room. This is almost the year 2015. It's not the 1980's.

It also amazes me that given that Princess is under the Carnival umbrella as is Seabourn and many other lines that given the history that smoking would be permitted on the verandahs.

Instead just have designated areas as they do already where smoking is permitted that if someone does not like or can't physically tolerate smoking will not be impacted.

Think about it. If you are adverse to smoking and want to enjoy your verandah how that could ruin your cruise. If that does not hit home, then think about someone playing very loud music next door to you and it is so loud that you cannot get a good nights sleep. It's really very similar.

And add to that the risk of fire.

I maintain that there is by far more upside to eliminating smoking on the verandahs to the downside. Those who want to smoke will go to the other areas. Those who don't like smoking will be more apt to book a Seabourn cruise.

I believe on my first Seabourn cruise that there was a small area in the dining room where smoking was permitted. At least I think that was Seabourn. Times change. Many cruise lines have changed faster on this one and they seem to be filling their ships.

OK, I'll get off the soapbox.

Keith

Keith,

I do not see a problem with Seabourn filling their ships at the moment and have never been inconvenienced by smokers on any cruise.

Like Markham I will also have the opportunity to talk to the Vice President of sales and marketing next week when we see the plans for the new builds.

The smoking issue has never been more prominent than it is today and of course we would like to get Seabourns position on this.