Jeans in the Dining Room?

Carol28

If you care so much about what others are wearing, perhaps you should look to even more upscale lines with more upscale fares where you'd likely find more people who like to dress up for dinner each night and to dress to the nines on formal nights.

If you examine this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

You'll find, depending upon how you define 'more upscale line', that about half the 'more upscale lines' do not have mandatory formal nights.

I find it amusing that so many people don't like dressing up for dinner. Even my 11 and 6 year olds dress up for dinner. They love it. It makes them feel special and they are respectable little men. I don't even think my husband ever takes jeans on a cruise either. We enjoy dressing up for meals. :)

Maybe because, at least in my perhaps blinkered experience, there are always a number of tastefully, interestingly dressed women accompanied by men who - well, since we're talking about the '80s - if they're dressed up at all, are fiestas of polyester. As I said before, many women seem to actually enjoy dressing up, while many of the guys on this board, asked to dress a little nicely, act like 10-year-olds being requested to put on good clothes before going to Grandma's.

I do get the limited luggage space problem. On next year's trip to Japan, where there's limited luggage space on bullet trains, I'll have to rethink my Usual Cruise Wardrobe. And I can see the libertarian "me first" vs. communitarian "we're all in this together" trope playing itself out. But, yeah, I'm thinking the whole gender divide, and the resistance of some men to honoring norms, has a psychological dimension worthy of Freud.

The point was that it has been my experience that far more women are outside the norms then men on formal nights. Princess Formal Night Dress code for women : Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women. However I tend to see a lot of women dressed in anything but this. Pant suits, jump suits, you name it.....If the code is good enough for men why not women.

It just is not as black and white as many posters here seem to make it. Tuxes or else to the gangplank!!! :)

It is even more astonishing that people are still trying to push their ideals and standards on others when Princess does not seem to mind. As long as the people running the establishment accept it then there is NO PROBLEM. Princess accepts a certian dress attire and that is the final say so. To bad for all others. 160 posts to get a YES JEANS ARE ALLOWED and no changes to the Princess policy.

Really? Yes, it is astonishing that you are still trying to do that. You have been a minority pushing your agenda here for a long time. If the way people dress doesnt matter, why are you still pushing it?:D

I find it amusing that so many people don't like dressing up for dinner. Even my 11 and 6 year olds dress up for dinner. They love it. It makes them feel special and they are respectable little men. I don't even think my husband ever takes jeans on a cruise either. We enjoy dressing up for meals. :)

And that is why there are a lot of choices in life. I do not like dressing up at all, and neither does my husband. When we first started cruising we followed the dress code and dressed for dinner. For the past 5 years we have not. BUT we do not go to th MDR and do not care if the dress code changes or not, to each their own, we have never gone hungry on formal night. I for the life of me cannot understand all the fuss, dress up or do not it is as simple as that, but choose another option then the MDR. My husband is nothing but a jeans guy at home, and has never worn on a cruise, just to hot he wears dockers or shorts. There is a formal night on Princess when you book your cruise so then maybe you should really book Norweigen, my boss wore shorts the entire cruise and was allowed in evert dining menu.

I'm sorry I asked the question. I probably will not wear my nice crop, cuffed jeans to casual nights. But maybe I will. The answer is to bring enough clothes to have a choice.

I'm sorry about the rudeness of some of the responses. Cruising should equate with civility.

And if you enjoy dressing extra for meals, I'm sure you do it. While you're at it. why not dress formal for every meal while on the ship?:)

However, there are many people who don't enjoy dressing for meals, so it is their personal choice.:)

Really? Yes, it is astonishing that you are still trying to do that. You have been a minority pushing your agenda here for a long time. If the way people dress doesnt matter, why are you still pushing it?:D

Yep. The Vocal Minority with an Agenda (VMA) continues to beat its dead horse. (And yet, Princess has not rescinded its suggested dress codes.) :p

OK, it's all about you. From a multitude of posts on this and other topics, we get that. But specifically (unless it's all about extra luggage charges) what about dressing to code upsets you? Seriously and specifically, what is it about at least wearing a necktie that you find so very, very onerous?

The VMA finds anything or anyone nicely dressed onerous. Nicely dressed does not advance the Agenda of making Princess do away with the dress codes.

I am pushing NO AGENDA just giving people the truth. It seems that upsets some who are trying to force people into doing something they do not have to. Princess sets up and enforces the dress code. What they allow is all that matters. If you do not like it then all can tell where the problem is at. And if you want to get it changed go to Princess and have it changed. Giving false information to people who ask for advce on here will change nothing except your frustration with those who do not conform to what you desire. Jeans are acceptable on casual nights and shirts and ties with no jackets are acceptable on Formal nights in the MDR no matter how you try to make it different on here. No I do not havean agenda but apparently you do.

Edited by Potstech

I am pushing NO AGENDA just giving people the truth. It seems that upsets some who are trying to force people into doing something they do not have to. Princess sets up and enforces the dress code. What they allow is all that matters. If you do not like it then all can tell where the problem is at. And if you want to get it changed go to Princess and have it changed. Giving false information to people who ask for advce on here will change nothing except your frustration with those who do not conform to what you desire. Jeans are acceptable on casual nights and shirts and ties with no jackets are acceptable on Formal nights in the MDR no matter how you try to make it different on here. No I do not havean agenda but apparently you do.

You say you have no agenda. If I post the Princess guidelines every time a poster asks "if it is ok to dress anyway I want in the dining rooms", I am sharing what Princess prefers. They have not changed their policy.

You are misinforming posters, not I. I have witnessed embarrassed women on formal night that were underdressed or whose husbands did not have a jacket on. Did they get their information on how to dress here? Were they told it is ok by you and a minority of other men that don't want to dress for dinner that it is ok to attend formal night underdressed?

Have you ever fairly told them they will be in a minority and if they don't want to be different, perhaps they should consider dressing by the guidelines?

Perhaps you should follow your own advice as bolded above.

I'm sorry I asked the question. I probably will not wear my nice crop, cuffed jeans to casual nights. But maybe I will. The answer is to bring enough clothes to have a choice.

I'm sorry about the rudeness of some of the responses. Cruising should equate with civility.

I believe that you hit the nail on the head. Civility to everyone, regardless of how they are dressed or of their station in life. Personally we have been cruising since 1986, and doing one or two cruises a year. We have always honored the requested dress code regarding formal night. Frankly that gets tiring, especially now that I am retired for a number of years after nearly 40 years of adhering to a dress code on a daily basis.

We are on the Regal for a week starting November 30th. I will be the guy in the MDR in a blazer, slacks and a tie, if I can't get reservations in the specialty restaurants on the formal nights. Look down at me and be prepared to be greatly offended.

By the way, I don't remember ever signing anything that stated that I agreed to a dress code.

Edited by jak378

The point was that it has been my experience that far more women are outside the norms then men on formal nights. Princess Formal Night Dress code for women : Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women. However I tend to see a lot of women dressed in anything but this. Pant suits, jump suits, you name it.....If the code is good enough for men why not women.

I guess you're correct. I do see a lot of dressy pants with sparkly tops and the like. (Though no yoga pants and flip-flops.) Still, depending on the actual outfit, that, in the 21st century, is more likely to pass for "dressy" than Dockers and a polo shirt.

True confession: last cruise, on formal nights I wore a gold-colored velvet dinner jacket with a black vest and a tux shirt with a mandarin collar. Didn't strictly adhere to the dress code, either. Ah, well.

Edited by shepp

I will be the guy in the MDR in a blazer, slacks and a tie, if I can't get reservations in the specialty restaurants on the formal nights. Look down at me and be prepared to be greatly offended.

Though that doesn't strictly adhere to "formal," I greatly doubt anyone will look down on you. "Jacket and tie" is much closer to the mark than "Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt and Dockers."

I guess you're correct. I do see a lot of dressy pants with sparkly tops and the like. (Though no yoga pants and flip-flops.) Still, depending on the actual outfit, that, in the 21st century, is more likely to pass for "dressy" than Dockers and a polo shirt.

True confession: last cruise, on formal nights I wore a gold-colored velvet dinner jacket with a black vest and a tux shirt with a mandarin collar. Didn't strictly adhere to the dress code, either. Ah, well.

Thanks for the understanding and all I am saying because different Maitre D's on different ships seem to have different standards it does get a bit confusing...and I agree that people can look very elegant even if what they are wearing does not absolutely conform to Princess' suggestions...sounds like you were stylin' that night...;)

I would have stood up and applauded when you entered the MDR in that outfit. It would take a certain degree of savoir fare to pull that off.

Wear jeans if you want. Who cares what anyone has to say. DH wears black jeans and a nice shirt every night except for formal night. I often wear dark blue or black jeans with a nice shirt as well. No one has ever turned us away from the dining room, and we were dressed nicer than many others.

You're are on vacation, so relax and be comfortable. Also, (unless you want to) you probably will never see those people in the dining room ever again anyway once you leave the ship.

We were on the October 7 Coral Princess sailing to the Panama Canal. On the Canal day we were on the excursion where we sailed on a small ferry to the Pacific side of the Canal. Unfortunately, we could not go through the Pacific locks alone so we had to wait for a larger ship to sail with us. We did not get back to the ship until 8:30p.m. We wore our excursion clothes to the dining room, along with many of the other passengers on the same excursion. There were no issues in the dining room.

I would have stood up and applauded when you entered the MDR in that outfit. It would take a certain degree of savoir fare to pull that off.

Well, I have been accused of being "dapper."

(Though in this picture I just look goofy. And I misspoke: the jacket is actually kind of a rose-gold color.)

OK, I'm going to stop posing on this thread, at least till the caffeine has worn off.

2059840487_shepponboard.jpg.24f557c71a711dab77297cabe26120a8.jpg

Edited by shepp

Well, I have been accused of being "dapper."

(Though in this picture I just look goofy. And I misspoke: the jacket is actually kind of a rose-gold color.)

OK, I'm going to stop posing on this thread, at least till the caffeine has worn off.

That outfit is even more impressive that you described. Yes, you would have deserved a standing O. Hell, I might even have dressed up for dinner just to watch the entry.