Laughing at people who ask..... Rcl or carnival

There was a great Area-51 Type Conspiracy post on the Carnival board not long ago where someone didn't believe the generators were even hooked up.

realisstically, it does not need to be, either. As long as it CAN be hooked up, quickly, that's all that really matters.

If I were a Carnival cruiser, I'm actually ok with them spending a massive amount of money on something that probably will never be used before they go and re-fit their engine rooms to fix a missed branch on a fault tree analysis.

Just like I'm 100% fine with missing a port due to a sick passenger- because that could be me someday. I'm fine wtih RCI doing that.

Can they make the generator look better? Maybe. Could be harder on some of the ships. Do they need them on ALL of the ship? Dunno- not being on one of them, I've never had the chance to ask an officer about their engines. (I have on RCI cruises, but engines are part of my profession, so it's interesting to me)

I agree with Alfaeric,

The point that I was trying to get out is Carnival, being a Multi BILLION dollar company, Can't come up with a better way to camouflage this GENERATORS? Yes, they are there for back up, but as I said when I started this thread, I was SHOCKED to see it up there. Yep, we are RCL Guys, been on a couple of Carnival ships out of Los Angeles and have never seen this before.

Maybe paint it to look more in line with the SEA. Heck, maybe make it one of the kids event, spray paint the Generator and create Art? Kids would Love that!

Hopefully it would only be the generator... ha ha ha! :eek:

Mike

I've been on two Carnival cruises and have booked my first RCCL cruise. I look forward to doing an unbiased comparison between the two lines when I return. I didn't ask "RCCL or Carnival?" because I know that every person's experiences are different and very subjective especially when they have never cruised one line or the other! I chose RCCL for the activities on the ship that will thrill my teens and secondly for the itinerary. If Carnival had a ship with ice skating, 3D theatre, rock wall I probably would have continued on with Carnival because I like it! I've seen many of the threads on here asking people to compare the two and many people have said that the two are more alike than different and quite a few have mentioned that the food is actually better on Carnival. I sure hope RCCL has generators as well since there very well could be a power failure on any RCCL ship just as with Carnival!

We have sailed on all the major lines multiple times and each has its own place. Actually the best food we ever had was on a Carnival ship, even compared with Celebrity. Anyone that thinks one line is always better than another is just wrong.

I have a portable generator in the garage. When the power goes out I drag this big heavy and ugly thing out and crank it up. My point is when you need something it doesn't matter what it looks like. Be very glad you have it to use.

As for cruise lines, I wouldn't put one above another. Each one has it's strong and weak points. The top three reasons we sail on Carnival are: We live close to a port Carnival uses, the food is great, and Half Moon Cay is our favorite private island. We sail on RCCL, Celebrity and Princess for different reasons. I like them all.

I agree with Alfaeric,

The point that I was trying to get out is Carnival, being a Multi BILLION dollar company, Can't come up with a better way to camouflage this GENERATORS? Yes, they are there for back up, but as I said when I started this thread, I was SHOCKED to see it up there. Yep, we are RCL Guys, been on a couple of Carnival ships out of Los Angeles and have never seen this before.

Maybe paint it to look more in line with the SEA. Heck, maybe make it one of the kids event, spray paint the Generator and create Art? Kids would Love that!

Hopefully it would only be the generator... ha ha ha! :eek:

Mike

Unless someone else knows differently, those generators are very likely on a lease. You cant just go painting property that belongs to other people :)

Unless someone else knows differently, those generators are very likely on a lease. You cant just go painting property that belongs to other people :)

Excellent point. And even if they do own them and could paint or otherwise camouflage them, they probably don't feel it's worth the money for something that's only temporary. I really doubt many people are avoiding Carnival because of these generators.

I could not believe this is on the Jogging Track and for all of the World to see. Don't you think they would try to camouflage it at least?

Lol. Thanks for starting this thread. I don't care what cruise line it is...I always shake my head when I see those things. They look so ridiculous on top of those Carnival ships. And it must be embarassing for CCL to have to so obviously announce to the world how deffective a engine room design they have.

But to be fair and to show this isn't a CCL vs RCI thing in my mind, I have to say I don't know what is more ugly....those generators or the pink polar bear. ;)

I suppose one could say the same thing about the lifeboats. Ship would look much better and ALL balcony views would be better without them.:cool:

But in case the ship needs a generator, or life boat, I will put up with the aesthetic loss to have one.

I took this last Friday in St Kitts while we were on the TA From Southampton to San Juan on the Adventure OTS. I could not believe this is on the Jogging Track and for all of the World to see. Don't you think they would try to camouflage it at least? Would you not think twice if you saw one of these on a RCL Ship? Oh Carnival.....you really are a GIANT step behind RCL! :eek:

Just in case the picture is small.......It is a Giant RENT A GENERATOR on the Valor! I guess it is a......Just in Case I guess we loose power in the ocean, kind of like camping in a Motorhome in the forest!

RCL is the only way to go.......and YES, The Adventure OTS was a Blast for 15 days and NO....She is not a Sick Ship. :)

Mike

013_zps3708f517.jpg

When we were in the Bahamas last Christmas, we were surrounded by 3 Carnival ships. DH pointed out that they all had those CAT generators strapped to their top decks. NO WAY would we ever get on a Carnival ship not only because they haven't taken care of their ships but also because in all our cruises on RCI we've never had a bad experience and have always enjoyed the ships. So yes, we're loyal to Royal!

I think the other person was saying that you don't see these on an RCCL ship because they were all built correctly with enough generator capacity to run the whole ship.

I'm not sure about Carnival ships but on all RCCL ships (that I'm aware of), the main engines are all used exclusively for power generation and all of the propulsion systems are electric. It's quite cool. I've done the behind the scenes tour on a couple of different RCCL ships and these engines are each the size of a school bus. If you ever get a chance to do a behind the scenes tour, pay the money and do it.

On the main subject of Carnival vs RCCL, that's not really fair. The two companies are quite different all the way down the line. Consider such topics as how they operate their ships, the size/age of the ships, the desired price point for a lot of their cruises, their target market all around the world, etc.

My first cruise was on an older Carnival ship but the last 6 cruises since that one have been on RCCL. I prefer RCCL because of how they operate in all of the categories I mentioned above. For every one person that is loyal to RCCL, you'll find someone who's just as loyal to Carnival.

But to be fair and to show this isn't a CCL vs RCI thing in my mind, I have to say I don't know what is more ugly....those generators or the pink polar bear. ;)

I'll take the generators .. the stupid polar bear is permanent.

We are looking forward to our first Carnival cruise on Liberty .. so much that we are making it our first back to back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app