Sea Sickness and Aft cabins

Pier Pressure 53

I have a question for those who have sailed in the very Aft cabins. Is the movement of the ship that much more extreme than in those Aft cabins than the ones towards the middle of the ship? I ask because the very Aft cabins of the ship look so much more desirable, with having a view of the wake of the boat and the larger balconies. My wife and I just completed our 1st cruise, in a cabin towards the middle of the ship, and my wife did wonderful. She has been know to get sea sick on small sail boats, but on the Golden Princess she did wonderful with just some ginger pills and Sea Bands. I would like to book our next cruise in an Aft cabin, but don't want to push our luck with possibly her getting sea sick because of the exaggerated movement that may be felt in an Aft cabin. I would greatly appreciate the input of any and all.

Thank you.

John

We book aft cabins all the time. There definitely is more movement in the aft than in the middle of the ship (my husband I enjoy the motion).

If your wife tends to get seasick, I would book in the middle of the ship to play it safe. Nothing worse than having your trip ruined due to motion sickness.

I have a question for those who have sailed in the very Aft cabins. Is the movement of the ship that much more extreme than in those Aft cabins than the ones towards the middle of the ship? I ask because the very Aft cabins of the ship look so much more desirable, with having a view of the wake of the boat and the larger balconies. My wife and I just completed our 1st cruise, in a cabin towards the middle of the ship, and my wife did wonderful. She has been know to get sea sick on small sail boats, but on the Golden Princess she did wonderful with just some ginger pills and Sea Bands. I would like to book our next cruise in an Aft cabin, but don't want to push our luck with possibly her getting sea sick because of the exaggerated movement that may be felt in an Aft cabin. I would greatly appreciate the input of any and all.

Thank you.

John

People will post that the center of the ship is more stable because the ship rotates around the center on waves. I can only state my experience in Caribe 743, the last cabin aft on the starboard side on our South American cruise in 2010. The morning after our departure from the Falklands on the way to Cape Horn, the winds and seas picked up and we experienced rough seas (8-13 foot waves) and very rough seas (13-20 foot waves) for most of the next eight hours. I really believe the pivot point is further aft because the motion in our cabin was no worse than in the center of the ship. With those waves your DW would probably need more than ginger pills and Sea Bands. I had put on a scopolamine patch the night before to be prepared and I handled the condition with no problems. We have also had true aft cabins on Aloha deck and Dolphin deck on the Sapphire and cabins near the aft on the Coral. Seas on those ships were much calmer than in South America and I didn't notice any greater motion aft. I have had significant issues with motion sick which actually has become less severe as we have sailed more. It is only my personal experience and opinion but I don't believe there is greater motion aft and that is my preferred cabin area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My preferred cabin location is towards the aft and like it much better than mid-ship. I never get seasick so I can't help you there but I think aft is a comparatively stable location. Of greater importance is deck. You'll feel less motion on a lower deck.

People will post that the center of the ship is more stable because the ship rotates around the center on waves.

People will post that because it is true. Physics is physics. The ends of a see-saw rise and fall further than the pivot point. The bow and stern of the ship rise higher and drop lower over the crest of a wave than the mid-ship area. It can't be helped. Of course, none of this means that the people toward the aft are destined to get sick, nor does it mean that the mid-ship people are immune from motion sickness. Everyone reacts differently. But if you want to minimize the effects of the ships movement, you should book toward the center of the ship. That said, aft cabins remain very popular so obviously lots of people love them and don't mind whatever added movement comes with the territory. As noted above, some even prefer it.

I'm very prone to sea sickness but prefer aft cabins. I use Bonine, starting a couple of days before the cruise and each night thereafter before bed. I also have ginger capsules with me as well as the electronic sea sickness bands and regular sea bands just in case but haven't had to use them. The one time I did feel ill I was in Skywalkers way on top of the ship leaving Pt. Everglades for our M&G.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Thank you.

John

My wife is the same way as yours. She got sick on a harbor tour in San Francisco before. Last year we booked the furthest aft mini suite on the Sapphire princess and for 6 out of 7 days we were perfectly fine. One day however, I blame it on rough seas, we were both in bed feeling not too great. Our room was on the 8th deck, so I don't know if a aft cabin on a lower deck kinda balances out a bit. That was our first cruise so I don't know how much movement you feel in other locations of the ship.

Sent using the Cruis

Lets face it. When the weather gets bad and the seas get rough you will feel it no matter where you are on the ship. Best bet try a short 3 or 4 day cruise to make up your mind. If you have ever sat in the Princess Theater or Vista Lounge during rough weather you certainly do feel the motion more. On some of the older ships the back had a vibration that was also annoying. We now book cabins that are closer to the center. The medical center does have the shots you can buy that I have been told work like a champ but then again it does put you to sleep.

We have had a couple of aft cabins and there is more movement. One night about 3 am, it felts like we were on a teeter totter going upppppp and then downnnn over and over. I kept trying to see if I could feel where flat and level was, but I drifted off back to sleep.

As for getting sea sick, my wife get sea sick a lot on small boats. On big ships, however, it does not bother her that much. I think it is because of the longer smoother movements. In any case, she quickly gets her sea legs and does just fine. She does eat ginger candy, but mostly because she likes it.

We have had two Aft PH Suites, Ruby and Crown, and never had an issue. Also had mid-ship Suites and no issues. The only rough one we had was in New England 7 years ago on the Massdam, we went thru 8-14 foot waves while going thru the tail of a Hurricane going up the east coast. We were in Suite S-2 which is the second suite behind the Bridge. Next morning it was a real mess all over the ship with broken stuff everywhere. Never got sick, and have never taken anything, but we felt it.

when its rough seas its rough all over the ship, there's no magic place to hide and it's smooth. We only book aft cabins, and i think the motion is in your head, you can either deal with or some people can't. Never been sea sick and kind of like a little motion.

I get sea sick but always prefer the aft cabins - in fact I just recently booked a cruise out of Houston for next weekend because our favorite aft facing corner balcony cabin (C753) was available on a good last minute sale. We normally take a pill the first day then nothing. We like the motion at night and the sound of the wake keeps me from feeling bad - or is it all the wine... :-)

Aft cabins are DEFINITELY worse. There's no question about it. Case in point - the movement doesn't bother us, but our (then) 8 yr. old son who had been on previous cruises in a mid-ship cabin got very seasick in an aft suite.

He didn't know what it was. We never talked about it because we didn't want to give the kids ideas...he thought he had the flu, poor thing! Even downing 2 Bonine every night didn't help. Tossed his cookies over and over. Every time the ship was in port, he was back to normal.

Some ships aren't so bad as others but IME in aft cabins, Princess' definitely have much more movement than RCI's ships, Celebrity, and HAL's.

I am down to half a pill. My husband said I was doing some strange things when I took the whole pill.

I've had some really strange dreams with Ambien-all related to motion! Undulating escalators, elevators moving sideways etc. I even e-mailed friends saying I had cataract surgery when I didn't! Very bizarre!

I've had some really strange dreams with Ambien-all related to motion! Undulating escalators, elevators moving sideways etc. I even e-mailed friends saying I had cataract surgery when I didn't! Very bizarre!

Hi Donna,

That is bizarre about your surgery. I never remember anything. One time I woke up in the morning and there was a wine glass with a little dark liquid in the bottle. I asked Mike if he came to bed drinking something. He said I woke up at 1am and asked for a glass of chocolate wine and he got me a glass. I didn't believe him - that was only 1/2 a pill - scary - what would I do if I took an entire pill?:eek:

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...
My preferred cabin location is towards the aft and like it much better than mid-ship. I never get seasick so I can't help you there but I think aft is a comparatively stable location. Of greater importance is deck. You'll feel less motion on a lower deck.

With a husband that suffers motion sickness in every mode of transportation available, he has agreed to cruise Alaska. My hope is through planning I can minimize the possible effects of sea sickness with a good choice of a cabin. A balcony cabin allows fresh air (which he thinks will help).

My question is, between the two, which would be best:

The lowest deck balcony cabin is on 7, and it's location is the first cabin from the middle - but in the Aft section (just misses being considered Mid-Aft).

The lowest deck cabin that is located right smack in the middle of the ship is on deck 10 - three decks higher.

Would the middle of the ship outweigh the higher deck?

:confused:

With a husband that suffers motion sickness in every mode of transportation available, he has agreed to cruise Alaska. My hope is through planning I can minimize the possible effects of sea sickness with a good choice of a cabin. A balcony cabin allows fresh air (which he thinks will help).

The lowest deck balcony cabin is on 7, and it's location is the first cabin from the middle - but in the Aft section (just misses being considered Mid-Aft).

The lowest deck cabin that is located right smack in the middle of the ship is on deck 10 - three decks higher.

In theory the closer to center and the lower the better. Hopefully you will be cruising In Season so your chances of good weather are better.

The higher deck will magnify everything.

We have never had a lot of movement aft other then vibration when docking etc.

The lower/midship the better

I am puzzeled at movement and aft in the same sentence.